main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Road to Perdition Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Wardo_Fett, Jul 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wardo_Fett

Wardo_Fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 16, 2002
    I watched this today. I must say, I thought it was excellent. I couldn't stand American Beauty, but Mendes really, really impressed me with this. The direction and cinematography was outstanding. Acting was about as good as acting can be. Paul Newman was probably the best out of the bunch, although everybody was excellent. One actor who suprised me was the boy that played Michael Sullivan Jr. That kid was outstanding. I will give the movie ****1/2 out of *****.

What did you all think of it?

2. Iwishiwasajedi

Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Dicuss it, no reviewing or rating.

3. DARTHPIGFEET

DARTHPIGFEET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2001
    First off words can't describe how much I enjoyed this film. It is by far the best movie this summer. It blows everything away from directing, to acting, to the story, and Cinematography and lighting.

I thought Jude Law stole the show with his character who was just freaky. Tom Hanks GREAT JOB playing a character which was WAY out of character for him. The first 10 minutes of the movie he says all but 3 lines and that was simply awesome to me and it wasn't until later he came out of this shell which he protects himself with and opens up finally. The boy who played the son was very good also.

I will see this movie about 5 more times. Some of the shots in that movie were outstanding. Those long shots and a lot of those long shots were shot from the floor. I loved the point of view shot that you saw the kid had when he witnessed the incident with his father. He saw only his father feet and his voice.

Great movie 10 1/2 out of 10 stars.

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    The acting was great. The cinematography was fantastic. The direction was great. The look and feel and sounds of the film were great. Unfortunately, it was quite boring, with quite a few scenes just going on too long. Mood and atmosphere are great, but here it seemed at the expense of character development. I think the film's biggest problem was that it didn't have a focus. It could have been a very effective coming of age story for Mike, Jr, or it could have been a very effective revenge/redemption story for Mike, Sr, but instead it had a muddled focus somewhere in between. I thought it was beautiful, bleak, and very good, but it wasn't as cutting as it could have been. And there DEFINITELY should have been more family time at the beginning, so that we got more of a sense of how the characters related to each other. Pretty much the only line his wife had was "clear your plates"; there was no interaction between Hanks and Leigh, and not enough between Peter and Michael. Still, this one's a keeper.

5. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    Jude Law... dark, gritty, fantastic.
    Tom Hanks... Becoming as exciting as a box of old chocolates.

Paul Newman... chalk one up for old people... Old people logic: "It's set in old times... It's got an old guy in it... It's the greatest film of the year!" (It's the septuagenarian equivalent of the Meryl Streep factor... put either of em in any movie, and it's regarded as an instant classic.)

I liked the movie overall... but left feeling like I'd been robbed of my childhood... by a pudgy, mustachioed guy who used to be on Bosom Buddies.

Don't get me wrong, I like this movie... but it's really a rehash of Miller's Crossing, only Gabriel Byrne was far more believable and intimidating as an Irish Mafia hit man... and I could have spent two hours at the morgue and gotten just as much entertainment for less money... and I'd still get to see old people... except, unlike Paul Newman, they don't pretend to still be alive.

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.