main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Robbed of Life (Obi vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Aunecah_Skywalker, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Yes, another story on Obi's reaction to Qui-Gon's death.

~*~*~*~

Robbed of Life
    By Aunecah_Skywalker

.*.*.*.*.*.

Naboo was the epicenter of life. Naturally, it is the strongest foundation of death. The still night air resonated with the shrill cries of the thousands of souls who had lost their lives here. The magnificent waterfalls were almost tinted an eerie blood red. The gentle rolling hills were caked with dirt and scorched with blaster fire. There was not a dapple of light in this ethereal world that wasn't tainted by darkness.

Everyone tried to appear solemn and sad, but within they were all bursting with happiness. I couldn?t blame them even though I wanted to. Naboo had won its freedom from the Trade Federation blockade, and the bloodshed had at last stopped. Many had died here, but none of them were personally involved with Queen Amidala, Chancellor Palpatine, or any of the rest present here.

Other than me.

I was the only person truly grieving for my master.

Master.

Dead.

Forever gone.

Never to come back.

A dull anger resonated within me, but it was too insignificant to the grief that I had swallowed along with the air during the last couple of hours to do any harm.

This was my life and I had to accept it as such. I had to live not in the past or the future but in the "here and now," as my master was so fond of saying. Preachings were excellent in theory, but they were trivial in real life, just as knowledge and action were two very separate things. Emotions ? sadness, anger, regret ? were the parents of the Dark Side, but that knowledge didn?t stop me from feeling them.

"Qui-Gon would have been proud of you, Obi-Wan." I heard Master Windu?s voice as if it were coming from a great distance, even though the dark-skinned Council member was standing not a stride-length away from me.

I had always known him to be a skilled Jedi Master whose years as a fighter had hardened him against anything that the Force could throw against him. He had always radiated such an air of power and stability, I sometimes almost found myself forgetting that he too was a human, that he too had emotions.

Master Windu's usually piercing gaze landed on the funeral pyre, and I was struck by the change in his dark eyes as he gazed at the flames overtaking what was remaining of my master. A dull shadow reverberated in them, swallowing away the reflections of the fiery chasm that he was staring at. Qui-Gon had been his childhood friend, and I knew that Master Windu loved him almost as if he were his brother.

"No." It was more a rhetorical statement; I didn?t need to voice the facts when everyone knew it. Master Windu was trying to make me feel better, and I appreciated what he was trying to do, but what he said was as far away from the truth as it was possible, and both of us knew it.

"You?re wrong, Obi-Wan," Master Windu said as if he heard the voices speaking inside my head. "Qui-Gon always spoke very highly of you."

"Of course, and so does Master Yoda," I replied dully. "That doesn?t mean anything, Master Windu, and you know very well that if I were to actually be what they say I am, then there would be no reason for them to actually say it."

Master Windu appeared genuinely puzzled.

"Obi-Wan, you killed a Sith, and that is not a matter to take lightly?"

"Master Windu, if the Sith had actually been killed because of my prowess instead of my luck, my master would still be alive," I responded almost caustically. "Instead, all I had done was take advantage of a single moment of his arrogance."

"If you weren?t who you were, you wouldn?t have lived long enough to take advantage of that single moment of his arrogance," Master Windu said crossly, a frown creasing his forehead.

"I was angry. I only won because of my anger?"

"No, Obi-Wan, you nearly lost because of your anger. You won when you learned to set aside that anger and act instead from your love for your master."

"How would you know? You haven?t even been there! You cannot know what I was going through

2. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Wow! You did a wondeful job of capturing so many difficult emotions.

3. Lady_Moonbeam

Lady_Moonbeam Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    :_| That was so beautiful and so sad! I loved how you captured the human side of Obi-Wan--the anger and raw grief that would come at Qui-Gon's death. Especially beautiful was this line:

They were not a promise. After the disaster with my master, I would never make a promise again.

Wonderful portrayal of Obi-Wan!

4. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Thanks for reading guys. :) I really do appreciate it.

Aun

5. Obis-Grl

Obis-Grl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Lovely, lovely, lovely.

Very well done.

Maeve

6. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Very exceptionally written, Aunecah. It flowed so well, and Obi-Wan's thoughts and feelings were easily understood. Great job! :D

7. Anakin_Solo02

Anakin_Solo02 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 3, 2002
    that was amazing! :) you could understand his emotions real well. nice job, Aunecah!

8. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Um... [face_shocked] ...Wow.

That was truly beautiful, Aunecah. Heartbreaking and so much like Obi-Wan.

Very deeply moving.

It was spectacular.

9. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Obis-Girl : Thanks. :)

Cascadia : Why, thank you. :D

Anakin_Solo02 : Ooh. New reader. I thought you usually followed A/T stories. ;) Thanks. :) And what can I say? I love Obi. :D

LuvEwan : Thanks. :)

EDIT: :)

Aun

10. Obi the Kid

Obi the Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    A very interesting take on a popular story line. I think you did a nice job of seperating this Qui-Gon death story from others. Very real emotions. And I think a nice capture of Obi-Wan's feelings at the time...and of the uncertainty of Anakin.

Excellent work!

Obi

11. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    OKAY, AUNECAH - delurking - for once - just to say that this is tremendously touching. You made him so human, and so hurt. Achingly realistic.

Wonderful work.

CYN

12. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Obi the Kid : Thank you. :D

Cyn : *waves* Hello. :) Well, I wasn't satisfied with TPM Obi-reaction (not that Qui deserved much better, but still :mad:). I mean, Obi just cries for a couple of moments after Qui dies and then shrugs it off. I also didn't get how Obi seemed to go from dislike to like Ani in one sharp instant. So, I wanted to address that too. Hence this story. Of course, when I say I choose to write this story ... it really is the story that chooses the author. ;)

Aun

13. JediKlea

JediKlea Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    *sniff sniff wahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!*

How sad!!! Obi tourture...*more sniffles* I LOVE IT!!!!!!!Beautifully written

Poor Obi-Wan needs a hug!!!!

14. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Thanks JediKlea .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.