main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Robert Jordan has Died

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by JediTrilobite, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I don't know if anyone's a fan of Robert Jordan, but yesterday morning (9-16), he passed away due to complications from cardiac amyloidosis.

Link

I've never read any of his books, but it always sucks to see a major author die.

2. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    From the officiall Robert Jordan Blogg

==

Personally I'm not a particually big fan of his books such as his Wheel of Time series. But nevertheless It's so sad when such a big and famous author has to leave us because of sickness.

Rest in peace!

3. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I've not read him and yet it still felt like a blow as he was such a big author in the field. George R. R. Martin had a very nice post on his own blog about RJ.

He definately died too soon.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've never read the Wheel of Time books but I know I have read some of the Conan books in an omnibus edition I found in a local charity shop. It was a few years ago though.
    I thought they weren't bad.

5. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    If I were an author like Jordan, it would be part of my obituary (and my will) to announce who will be finishing the job for me.

6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Sad news. Like it or not, it?s hard to deny The Wheel of Time a place in the pantheon of modern fantasy. It?s a shame the series won?t be finished as it should have been. Worse, though, is the fact that a great person passed away much too soon.

He?ll be missed, but fortunately both Jordan and his fiction will be celebrated for a long time to come.

7. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    If only the Aes Sedai had found a way to Heal death...

RIP, Mr. Jordan. You will be missed.

8. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Shame he didn't get to finish his magnum opus. Godspeed.

9. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    If I remember correctly RJ said that if he should pass away before Memory of Light was completed then his wife was to finish the book for him. He gave her his notes so that she could.

I remember him saying that book 12 was to be 2500+pgs. I wonder how far he got on it?

I am very sad this man has left.

10. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I hope she does finish the book for him, if only for the sake of the fans of the series.

11. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh my goodness. I can't believe he's gone; the last report on his blog was that he was doing pretty well. LOads of people, myself included, were really pulling for him. His books were my entertainment during a really hard time for me; I can't count how many docters' offices and hospital visits I took them to.

I have read his books, and I own 10 of the 11 Wheel of Time books, and I was really excited about the conclusion. I hope that it gets finished by his wife -- even if it won't be the same, I'm insanely curious.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Jordan.

12. DarthNotsonice

DarthNotsonice Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2005
    He lived not far from Mickey Spillane,before he died. \
    Interesting books though,not a series you want to jump right into the middle of,trust me. [face_whistling]

13. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    I was never a fan of the Wheel of Time series myself. But I feel very sad for his friends and family. And for his fans this is a serious blow.

14. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I never read any of his books but it is real sad news to hear. Best wishes to his family.

R.I.P.@};-

15. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    I'm on book 4. Great read and series. R.I.P. @};-

16. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I wonder if his obituary will go on for ten years, introduce hundreds of side characters that have nothing to do with anything, and move the story on at a glacier pace.

17. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    While I certainly understand the critique, I don't think that this thread should be sidetracked by discussion of the flaws of the series.

18. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    Godspeed, Robert Jordan. We will miss you and your work.

Wow, Kurt Vonnegut and Robert Jordan, both dead in the same year. What a tragic year for science fiction and fantasy.

19. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    Wow, this is so sad. At least he had a peaceful end, with people he cared about.

To Robert Jordan, a giant of our time. May we stand upon his shoulders and brush the stars.

20. TheModFavorite

TheModFavorite Jedi Master star 4

Sep 14, 2007
    tragedy + time = comedy

as i thought this was funny, obviously enough time passed.

regardless of that, i was saddened to read of jordan's passing.

21. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    RIP Robert Jordan.

I really hope someone does finish the last book for him, because it would be a shame to leave a great series to die when its so close to the end. But I seem to recall hearing a couple years ago that he wanted his notes burned if he died before finishing. Hopefully he changed his mind on that, but I don't know.

Sad day for the world of fantasy.

22. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Yeh, I really hope they finish the series. There's been talk that if he passed away before finishing, his wife Harriet would conclude the series.

This really sucks. Sci-fi/Fantasy has lost 2 of my favorite authors in the last year. Robert Jordan and David Feintuch. Feintuch did finish the Seafort Saga though, just waiting for it to be released.

23. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I never got into the Wheel of Time series, but it's always very sad when an author dies before completing his series. For the fans of the series, I hope that the series will somehow be completed in some way.

Rest in peace, Robert Jordan.

24. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Any news about how the funeral was? Anything from the Publishers on what is going to happen with book 12?

25. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.