main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Robin McKinley (Blue Sword, Hero and the Crown, ect.)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Has anyone read any of McKinley's works? I enjoy her Damar duology, but I need to read them again soon. Aerin and Harry are bold heroines. As for Tor and Corlath, I like Corlath better. Tor seems kind of bland.

I originally hoped that McKinley would write another Damar book, but the likelihood of that is nil; it's been 32 years since Blue Sword was published and 29 years for Hero and the Crown.

2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    without googling the series i can only assume it represents the very best in christo-confederate fantasy. either that or some sort of deep space 9 fanfic

3. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Sarcasm noted.

4. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    I haven't read the books you mentioned but McKinley's Beauty is among my favourite versions of the Beauty and the Beast-fairytale. It's on my pile of books I intend to reread in the near future.

Also, I've read Sunshine, which I also liked a lot.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I vaguely remember Blue Sword from about 25 years ago. Seems to me that it was OK, but I have no burning desire to find it and reread it.

Didn't she write Outlaws of Sherwood? That was an interesting take on the Robin Hood legend, IMO.

6. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Yes, she did.

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What are these books about? What is her writing style, and what do you like about it all?

I've never heard of these, but I'm always looking for new things.

8. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    I read several of her faerie tale variations when I was younger, and I remember that I liked them (don't remember which ones off the top of my head). The variation she did on The Sleeping Beauty sticks out the most in my memory. And I have a copy of Hero and the Crown somewhere, but I've never read it.