main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Robocop and Lethal Weapon 30th anniversary!

Discussion in 'Community' started by DenOfEarth, Feb 8, 2017.

1. DenOfEarth

DenOfEarth Jedi Knight

Jan 27, 2013
    This year is the 30th anniversary to one of the best Sci-fi/action films ever made and one of my all time favorite movies, same for Lethal Weapon being one of the best adult action films around being 30 this year.

I first saw both in theaters when i was 5/6 years old with my mom and dad at one of my city's theaters and thought they rocked. I even had a few of the toys, cards, comics of Robocop and watched the animated show of Robocop. I did saw the LW sequels in theaters as a kid and teen even Robocop 2 in theaters at 9 and unfortunately the sucky watered down 3 at 12 which i wanted my moneyback.

For Robocop i own the 2014 blu-ray and Laserdisc from Criterion plus it's such an influential work of satire that it's lightning in a bottle. Lethal Weapon is still an excellent action classic when we had badasses and it also had great writing and direction by Donner.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm going to say something possibly heretical here... the new Lethal Weapon tv-series, whilst not hewing exactly to the film (because, how could they?), is a charming show, buoyed by the fact that everyone in the cast is routinely elevating basic stuff.

If you'd told me I'd be enjoying that show before the season started, I'd have thought you were crazy.

3. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    This is also from 30 years ago

4. DenOfEarth

DenOfEarth Jedi Knight

Jan 27, 2013
    Who else grew up with these movies?

5. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    I've only seen Robocop 2 and Lethal Weapon 5.

My '87 movie was Police Academy IV: Citizens On Patrol. I got mad excited when I saw the commercial for it. Like, another Police Academy?!

6. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Lethal Weapon 5 doesn't exist. Fake news!

darth-sinister likes this.
  7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I look forward to your threads about movies that came out in 1997 and 2007.

jp-30 likes this.
  8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    They should just have an old Riggs get all shot up and become....LETHAL ROBOWEAPON!

SuperWatto likes this.
  9. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    Me and some buddies in AIT at Fort Devens were swilling down a case of Busch when we decided to go to the movies. I wanted to see Robocop; majority prevailed and we ended up seeing Ernest Goes to Camp. Finally saw Robocop at the Camp Humphreys theater in the fall.

10. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  11. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Your parents let you see Robocop at age 5 or 6? I thought my parents were the worst for making me see Poltergeist when I was 7.

12. DenOfEarth

DenOfEarth Jedi Knight

Jan 27, 2013
    Yup first r-rated movie i saw in theaters was Fright Night at age 4 even saw Creepshow on HBO at age 4 as well even saw the sequel to Creepshow at 5 at the movies plus Aliens, Cobra, Die Hard 1 & 2, Total Recall, Terminator 2 and all that at the movies as a kid. I was with my dad when we saw Robocop at one of the theaters, i thought it rocked.

13. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I'll admit, when I saw the first trailer I was like this looks like it'll be done after one season. Now, it's turned out to be a fairly different flavor from what the movies were and pretty entertaining so I'm not so sure.

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  15. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Ahhh yes, my under the radar movies from my childhood. I'd surreptitiously record those onto VHS when they were aired on television, assuring Mum and Dad that I was taping some other movie that happened to be on another channel like Home Alone. Then I needed to find time with those films alone. Robocop freaked me out.

16. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Denofearth, you seem to have been exposed to a lot of adult themed movies at a very young age. How do think this has affected you?

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Alternate timeline. After Riggs took a shotgun blast to his bulletproof protected chest in the first movie, he did suggest going to Detroit to lay low. This could be the point where the timeline diverges and Riggs meets Robocop.

18. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I was exposed to a lot of adult themed stuff as a kid too. Mostly because I was a sneaky bastard. Rarely with consent from the parents.

19. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    So American cinemas would let a 5 year old in to an R rated movie? I was 14 in 1987 and could not get in for an 18 certificate movie at all whether I was with my parents or not, which I'm pretty sure is what the Robocop rating was back then in the UK.

Anyway, both great films and in general a great era for the cinema for me. Throw Predator in to the mix, which was the best sci-fi film of the year, another one I had to watch on home video as I couldn't get in to the cinema to see it.

20. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Rated R: Restricted – under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian.

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I saw "Rambo: First Blood-Part II" in theaters when I was six, shortly before turning seven. I also saw "The Terminator" at the drive-in that same summer. At home I had seen "The Shining", "Jaws", "Jaws 2", "Jaws 3", "Conan The Barbarian", "Porky's", "Porky's II: The Next Day", "Revenge Of The Nerds", "Halloween" and "Halloween II". All of them between 1983 and 1985. I saw "Robocop" when I was ten, on home video in 88. Same with "Predator" and a number of other Arnold films. I didn't start watching Freddy and Jason until I was ten, starting with the third and fifth films respectively.

22. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    And what was the last thing you bought?

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The last thing I bought? What does that have to do with anything?

24. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    whatever happened to the R rated blockbuster ? they're a rare thing these days .

25. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    That's because there's an expectation for action movies to be big spectacle vehicles nowadays, and that's expensive. When it's expensive, you need as large an audience as possible to get a worthwhile return on investment.