main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph RoboCop remake

Discussion in 'Community' started by Aytee-Aytee, Sep 15, 2012.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What a deep meaningful response.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Yep. It aired in syndication in 1994-95, for one season. Starred Richard Eden as Robocop, Yvette Napier as Detective Madigan and Blu Makanna as Sgt. Parks. It was written by the writers of the first film, but the show was toned down in violence and allowed for reoccurring villains. The pilot was based on an unused draft for "Robocop 2" and ignoring the two sequels that had been made. It was an expensive series, which contributed to its cancellation.

Pretty much this. It's nice that this version has better movement than the original suit, but beyond that. its just not the same. It lacks that special something that made the original work.

Not quite. In the first film, Murphy was just doing his duty until his memories start coming back. This proved that you cannot erase the human condition, in order to make a perfect machine. In the second film, it was that only someone who didn't have a sense of self and a strong moral conviction, could accept being turned into a cyborg. Murphy had that in spades, which is what got him injured in the first place and what led him to seek justice for what happened. The other candidates didn't fit that profile, which is why Dr. Faxx turned to criminals who would fit a specific profile. In this case, a messiah complex which is where Cain came in and why he didn't try to kill himself after the surgical conversion was completed and he went online. In the third film, it was the OCP exec who wanted to have Murphy's emotions removed in order to make him obey orders without question, since he disobeyed a direct order to peruse the resistance members, in favor of rescuing Lewis from the Splatterpunks. Dr. Lazarus chooses to let Murphy retain his humanity, by not installing the device and this allows him to fight against the Rehab units and erase Directive 4.

The closest to this was issues eighteen through twenty three of the Marvel Comics series, where Murphy's humanity is suppressed and his computer programming takes over. He regains control, but is afraid to interface as he might not regain control again.

3. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    One different thing that seems interesting is that his gun hand is still flesh and blood, so there's a human component still behind the gun (from what I've read online).

But this kind of takes away the whole "total body prosthesis" thing, and that OCP/Ominocorp felt like they could do whatever they wanted to to Murphy, since he was legally dead in the eyes of the law.

Another change I'm [face_dunno]about.

4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Not to mention it served as a symbolic representation for Murphy being stripped of his humanity.

5. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope he says "your move creep" in this one too.

6. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Not saying this movie will fail critically, it will, but I'm not saying it. Since I'm not saying it will fail critically, even though it will, and since they'll have butchered 2 Verhoeven flicks, I think this should be enough for them to allow Verhoeven to direct the next CONAN movie.

7. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    who do i need to kill to stop this movie dead in its tracks?

8. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    My initial response:

"HOLY CRAP IT'S MICHAEL KEATON!!!"

9. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I'm intrigued by some aspects of the trailer but I'm discouraged by the fact that it seems that Murphy still possesses a lot of his humanity right after becoming Robocop.

10. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
  11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope he fights a villain that goes by the name of RobertCop.

12. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Is anyone else here a fan of 'Robocop 2'? I think it's criminally underrated.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I'm a fan. It really isn't that bad of a film. The only real problem is that some scenes got cut and were shuffled around, and the ending was changed.

14. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    [​IMG]

"Jesus had days just like this."

Yeah, I like it. It's Robocop 3 that's rather peeyousha.

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

The director and producers

16. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    is that all? easy peasy.

17. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    I like it. It's not as good as the first, but it's still watchable.

Especially:
    *torturing a cop with a bonesaw*
    Kid: "I thought you were just going to scare him!"
    Cain: "Doesn't he look scared?"

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Not much to say about the trailer- Michael Keaton, awesome. PG-13ification of events, awful. Losing the whole lost/regained humanity point of the original, very bad.

I actually like the flip-on visor, but the maskless headpiece looks a helmet, as if it's Iron Man, not part of his head. It looks extremely cheesy.

Though you have to love that we effectively have Batman asking if it comes in black...

"BEHAVE YOURSELVES!"

I loved Cain's/RBC2's design. That moment where he steps out and sorta taps his "toes" always stuck with me for some reason. And him scaling the elevator shaft right at the camera is still extremely creepy in the way that only stop motion can achieve.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Just be glad it wasn't Miller's first draft that was used.

20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    How terrible is the third movie?

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    To put it in the most scathing terms I can think of: not even a Basil Poledouris score managed to salvage it.

22. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    I still love it to this day. It was my first rated R movie I saw in the theatre. I was 5. Those were the days. Not only would parents take their kids to R movies, but you could go to the toy store right after and buy from the line of toys connected to that same movie.

I think Kirshner did a wonderful job with the directing, visually. To me the film is hilarious, really dark, and the final battle is just Awesome. One of the last great stop motion actoin scenes I believe. And the Old Man is so much fun this time around.

It's major flaw? It's not about anything. Well, to put it another way, it really had no story other than a Cop vs Robber/Drug Lord. The first movie was about a guy trapped in a machine. This movie starts off with a story about Murphy following his wife and kid, and then within 15 minutes of the start of the movie, it ends. What could have been the emotional core of the film, just dies. Oh, and the attempt to have you feel sympathy for the little prick kid when he gets shot up is laughable. That whole,"If I had a dad, I wish he was you," nonsense was just to much.

Still, even with a uninspiring story, the film is still so much fun to watch, and is underrated. It's about as good as some of the best action movies from those times. However in comparison to the original, it is a bad movie, because it doesn't move the story forward at all.

Doesn't stop me from loving it. The stuff I love, the opening where he takes down the 3 bad guys, anything with the old man,.the whole part where Robo is chopped up(freaked me out when I saw it the first time), the hilarious reprograming scenes, and the final battle. Plus, the great punch line ending as Robo says,"we're only human," as he turns the wrench connected to his helmet.

Oh, and anothe flaw is that they didn't have the original theme. I loved that Robocop theme from the original, the one they used for RC2 was just annoying.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The only thing good about RC3 was the music (and maybe the jet pack, kinda hard to go wrong with a jet pack, really).

24. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Truth.

For a while I think it was common belief that Millers script for RC2 was better than the actual movie. In fact it was the other way around, the movie was better than the script. The comic book proved this very well I think.

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The subplot with Murphy's wife and son was actually stretched out originally. According to the novelization, the confrontation actually occurred after Cain was hospitalized, but before he was sent to stop the meeting between the Mayor and Hobb. Murphy goes to her house twice in the second film. There was also the ending where Murphy arrests the Mayor, because he admitted to knowing about Cain being a killer and he had said that he wasn't present at the meeting. Murphy then recovers his gun and twirls it after seeing his wife and son. That was replaced with the ending in the finished film. Also cut was the scene where Doctor Faxx meets with Cain, while Murphy is down. The scene establishes why she chooses him.

The central story, as it is, is that the differences between Murphy and Cain make all the difference in why there is only one Robocop.