Story [RoboCop: The Series] Broken Glass (Drabbles)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by DaenaBenjen42, Apr 20, 2011.

Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
  1. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    @JediFalcon : No, no it wasn't... Thank you. :)

@Mira_Jade : Thank you, Mira. :)

Week 6 – UDC 7 – On the peripheral…

Serious

Bea liked the kid well enough, but she was always trying to be helpful where she wasn’t needed, and it was hard to concentrate with her around. It was like being at home with her own kids, and right this moment Gadget was trying her patience.

Under any other circumstances, were she not trying to coordinate police cars from a communication board and headset, she’d have been actively listening to Gadget and the boy talk and would have realized who he was. But she wasn’t, and didn’t, and missed an opportunity for discretion.

Silly

Chip Chaykin been working with these kids for weeks while helping Doctor Mallardo implement the NeuroBrain system for MetroNet, but it was the first time he’d ever seen their leader, who was manic in the best of times, call them to arms. Even turned away from him, the young man’s posture was electric, fist raised in the air.

He had to wonder, for just this moment, what the kid would have amounted to had he not ended up leader of a street gang. The leader certainly knew how to motivate his people, even if his words were ridiculous.

“All right, boys! Let’s make the square hold!”

Charming

He stood in his office in front of cameras yet again because the police had found illegal weaponry in some warehouse that he owned, and all Reggie Braga wanted to do was roll his eyes and send the reporters away. This was just one more thing, in a very long line of things, and it was getting to be that he couldn’t be a gunrunner without tripping over a police officer at every turn.

He put on his best smile, and proceeded to play to the people. “What do I know about guns? I’m in the nut business.” And popped a pecan into his mouth for good measure.

Rude

He was going to give them all a piece of his mind for not letting him in on the action this time, when he’d been integral to the plan working in the first place so they could pull off the raid. Was going to, but then Sargent Parks threw logic at him and the cyborg mentioned something about a memo, and all Foster could do was barge out again in disgust, the wind taken out of his sails in one fell swoop.

One of these days, he was going to be there when they raided something, not after the fact, and he was going to take all the credit!

Funny

“If if goes bang-bang, I got it,” the arms dealer told him as they stood in the middle of an abandoned church sanctuary filled to the brim with weaponry. Felix wondered if the man understood the irony of where they were having this conversation, or what he was about to ask of him. This had been a place of worship, or hoping for peace, of finding solace in an uncertain world that seemed to be more uncertain with each passing day.

Now, two men, one who just supplied the hardware, and himself who wanted to give a birthday celebration no one on the planet would ever forget, were discussing weapons here instead. A manic giggle threatened to overtake him.
    Last edited by DaenaBenjen42, Mar 11, 2013
  2. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    Week 7 – UDC 7

Stormy

Upon entering the cyberspace of NeuroBrain, Charlie was assaulted with visual and auditory stimuli that caused him to immediately close his eyes and put his hands over his ears. He wasn’t certain how long he was crouched there, trembling from overstimulation, but a hand on his shoulder made him jump. “Is it safe?”

The chuckle in her voice carried in the sudden silence. “You should have told me you’d be visiting today, Charlie. I was missing real weather phenomena and…”

He looked up at her. “Got carried away?”

Diana smiled as she helped him up. “Just a little.”

Trapped

He was trapped here, arms stuck exactly as they’d been when the drug had taken affect, his face a mask of permanent surprise. Chip didn’t know how long it would take to wear off so he could move again, and it had already been three hours too long as he laid in the hospital bed, his feet handcuffed to the bed while a nurse sat watch over him.

Ever since the altercation outside of Public Works, he’d gained a new appreciation for what his victims had gone through in the name of business. That didn’t mean he wouldn’t do it all again in a heartbeat, though.

Escape

Walking right out of the front door wasn’t a way he’d thought he was going to escape, but William Ray Morgan wasn’t going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Not today. All he wanted to do was kill the robot, and he’d been given another chance to do just that when his henchman had managed to slip him the EVE module underneath his spaghetti.

As soon as he was away from the main gates, Morgan finally allowed himself to chuckle madly. It was turning out to be a great day!

Rescue

Sitting in the hotwired truck outside of the OCP Headquarters skyscraper, Jimmy couldn’t help but wonder if maybe he should have gone in there with Robocop. After all, he’d barely been walking as it was, and there was a crazy psychopathic criminal in there doing heavens knew what.

Biting his lip in thought, the teenager looked around, and then got out of the truck and went inside. The security guard at the front entrance stopped him. “There’s trouble. Can you help me call Metro South?”

The guard blinked down at him for a long moment before directing him to a vidphone.

Recover

When Nancy arrived at the OCP Headquarters building to get her son, she hadn’t been expecting to see Pudface Morgan being led to a PortaPerp, nor the tech guy from Metro South walking beside Robocop, who, as impossible as it seemed, was limping. Then Jimmy noticed her. “Mom!”

Embracing her son after all the terror of seeing him kidnapped, she stared at the metal man. “What happened?”

“Robocop saved me and got dropped by a wrecking ball,” Jimmy told her.

A wrecking ball?!?

The shock must have shown on her face, because he laughed. “Don’t worry, Mom. He’ll be fine. He’s Robocop!”
  3. Falcon Chosen One

star 9
    Great updates and recover is my favorite :)
  4. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    JediFalcon: If anything, that incident with the wrecking ball needed follow up! Thank you. :)

A/N: The inspiration for this set comes from @Trimaj . Thank you, Tri!

Week 8 – UDC 7 - Disco!

Mistakes

Sargent Parks was used to the odd and the strange. After all, he was a police officer and didn’t end up Sargent and watch commander of a police precinct by accident. There’d been work involved. So when he’d come on duty that night to find a strangely empty arrest log, it struck him as odd. More than odd… peculiar. They hadn’t had a log that empty in four or five years!

Then their lone cyborg officer entered through the doors, opened his mouth in greeting, and it was explained in ten seconds flat to the strains of 20th century disco music.

Corrections

Robo spiked into a computer terminal after three attempts at speaking failed him, and Parks stood by as words (and a lot of gibberish symbols one would not normally use in polite conversation) started pouring across the screen: “Something wrong! Can’t %)#(*$ arrest anyone with #(#*$& disco music coming out! Started mid-morning!”

Parks blinked. “Mid-morning?”

“Thought it would #*(#&$^ pass!”

“Oh.” Parks considered the options. On the one hand, they’d needed something funny for a while, on the other… it really wasn’t good to have someone with a grip of four hundred foot pounds this upset. “Why don’t we go and see Charlie, and see if we can’t get you talking normally, then.”

Prank

Gadget watched from behind the booking desk as her adopted father led Robo back to the tech room, and couldn’t stop grinning. Her tweak of the programming when Charlie had let her help had worked! A little too well, actually, given that Robo was more upset than she’d ever seen him, but it had worked!

She allowed herself another minute of grinning like a maniac before finding a non-obvious place to hide while Charlie fixed it. After all, if they couldn’t find her and she had the alibi of doing her homework when they finally did, how could they suspect?

Sabotage

When he finally found the error, it was in a line of code meant for receiving radio wave transmissions. Charlie frowned and sat back. “That’s strange.”

“What is?” Parks asked.

“He’s receiving radio wave transmissions from a radio station, and this other line of code is making it-“

“Broadcast vocally every time he tries to talk?”

Charlie paused. “Well yes.”

A line of text appeared on the screen in front of him: “Can you just fix the #*&%$( thing?!?”

Charlie smirked and nodded to the impatient cyborg. “Of course. Is there a radio station you’d rather be broadcasting?” The glare he received was worth it.

Revenge

For the next several weeks, Parks would catch Gadget grinning madly every time Robo stormed into the precinct house with another perpetrator, and had a good idea of just who might have inadvertently changed the lines of code, had the opportunity, and a likely motive. Charlie wouldn’t have dared do it, but Gadget… she was young and mischievous, and had a history of lying before Robo had set her straight.

Finally, after one particularly hectic night, he sat down and looked at her seriously. “Your secret is safe with me.”

Gadget blinked at him over her dinner. “Huh?”

“He’d never believe it was you, and no one got hurt. He was just really annoyed. Good prank.”

She seemed to deflate. “People could have gotten hurt?”

“Yes. But no one did.”

“I won’t do it again, Sarge.”

“Good.”
  5. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    What an awesome couple of weeks! I am enjoying more and more of this fandom as it it told. :D

In Week Six, Funny and Charming were my favourites. I liked the irony in Funny, and Charming had just the right amount of swarmy bad-guy flavor to it. =D=

In Week Seven . . . Stormy was my favourite. The idea of 'creating' weather again for an android consciousness, and how it would feel to others. That was very neat. :) After that, Trapped was a great look into a villian's mind, and Recover was just the perfect cap! I loved the child's easy confidence in his hero. [face_love] And their relation behind that made that a bittersweet read. =D=

Week Eight - what an amusing glitch! Sabotage was my favourite of the set for that. [face_laugh] I can imagine Gadget's temptation to program something like that, but it was nice to see her set straight in the last drabble. She's growing up. :)
    DaenaBenjen42 likes this.
  6. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    Mira_Jade: Thank you for the feedback, Mira. :) (Recover was a double: not only did he get dropped by a wrecking ball, but... *points down to Negotiate*)

Week 9 – UDC 7

Enemy

Listening to Chip Chaykin try to talk his way out of being arrested by taking another person hostage and threatening her life, Diana was more than fed up. No, she was livid. How could he treat life like it was something to buy and sell, to trade as if it meant nothing unless it gained him something? And how could that woman, no matter how greedy or self-absorbed, have let him into her inner circle?

None of it made any sense. None at all, and she couldn’t do anything from here, like this, to help the situation, or Alex diffuse it before someone else died over nothing.

Attack

“You worm! You insect!” It happened so suddenly that Robo wasn’t quite sure how it happened, but he knew why as he watched Chaykin get hit in the rear end with an energy bolt and was sent flying into the grass on the side of the street.

As the man lay there prone, and three more energy bolts rained down around him, Rochelle Carney’s voice sounded from behind Robo: “Did he forget to pay his electric bill?”

It was absurd, but if the explanation fit and he wasn’t forced to make up a story… “Something like that.”

Negotiate

“So,” Diana said as they sat down to a virtual dinner of fish and chips. “What is the occasion of your visit?”

The Chairman took a deep breath, glanced around at the swirling colors of cyberspace. “Did there have to be a reason, Diana?”

“No, but there usually is,” she told him with a smile. “Negotiations break down over some deal?”

“No. I just… wanted to thank you.”

“Thank me?”

“The termination program?”

Understanding dawned in her eyes. “Oh. No need. Alex already thanked me.”

“But I can’t talk to anyone else about it.”

“Ah.” And so, they talked for a while about nightmarish incidents…

Truce

The streets had been strangely tranquil ever since the end of the city-wide police strike, as if the citizens had had enough of lawlessness to last them awhile and were now just thankful for peace and quiet again. It wouldn’t last, of course. Sooner or later, something would spark into chaos again, but for just this moment it didn’t matter. In two weeks, not a single officer had been killed in the line of duty.

No one thought to ask the why or the how of that one, either. It was a welcome respite.

Friend

They’d been married for two weeks when he finally thought to ask her something ridiculous. “Has your hair always been curly?”

Diana turned and looked at him with translucent blue eyes. “Huh?”

“Every time I see you, it’s always curly.”

She blinked, astonished and reached up to feel for a moment. “Oh! Oh. No. It was straight… as a board. I don’t know why...”

Charlie smiled. “Sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry for asking the question, Charlie. I just… wow.”

“I like it.”

She chuckled. “I’m glad you do.”
    Last edited by DaenaBenjen42, Apr 1, 2013
  7. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Recover was a double: not only did he get dropped by a wrecking ball, but... *points down to Negotiate*

Ah, I see. Thanks for pointing that out. :D

Enemy: I can't blame her for feeling that way. What an awful situation. :(

Attack: [face_laugh]

Negotiate: Diana is becoming a favourite part of these drabbles for me - what a fascinating character. And I loved their interaction here. [face_love]

Truce: A very welcome respite, indeed. :)

Friend: That was sweet. [face_love]

=D=
  8. Falcon Chosen One

star 9
    Sabotage what radio statiou would you like programmed in instead? [face_laugh] I think he just wanted it to stop :p

Friend very sweet and warm. Revenge, I know it was you but don't do it again and I won't tell him. Black mail nice :p
  9. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    Mira_Jade: Thank you, Mira. :)

JediFalcon: Thank you. :)

Week 10 – Jetpacks and books and proposals, oh my…

Sky

The piece of machinery she found Charlie studying reminded her of an engine for a fighter jet, only much smaller. “What is that thing?”

Charlie didn’t even glance up when he sighed and pulled out a pad of paper and began to make notes. “It’s a crazy idea Dr. Lazarus had.”

“Lazarus?”

He chuckled. “Yes… and all the jokes have been done to death.”

Lisa circled around to look at it better. “Seriously, what is it?”

“The prototype for a flightpack for Robo. The project got exactly this far and was then cancelled when the forth interceptor was destroyed.”

Now Lisa chuckled in muted laughter. “Ah.”

Sun

In the depths of her concentration, searching for information through multiple layers of coding in the pentagon computer system, Diana wondered what exactly it was about the men who had robbed the warehouse that had Alex so up in arms that he hadn’t bothered to control the robotic voice enhancer even a little bit. Did he know he was projecting more than he needed to for such a small room, or was it leftovers from being traumatically shut down like he was?

Or was it something else entirely? She’d have to catch him at just the right moment and ask.

Moon(s)

It was a very slow night and Diana, not expecting anyone, had settled down in the flux to read a holographic representation of an Asimov novel. She was so absorbed in the book that Charlie clearing his throat startled her, she jumped to her feet, and struck a kickboxing pose. And then she blinked at him. “Um… hi?”

Charlie set the basket on the floor. “Good evening. I’m not…”

She dropped her arms and sat down again. “I know you’re not going to do anything dumb like infect the system with a virus or try to kill people with elevators, Charlie.” He stared at her. “What?”

Stars

Charlie blinked again. “Infect the system with…?”

“It’s happened twice now.”

“And the elevators…?”

“Doctor Mallardo’s reign of terror on the Chairman.”

“Ah.”

She glanced down at the basket. “What brings you to Public Works tonight, Charlie?”

“I wanted to do something normal. Mind if I have dinner with you?”

Diana smiled and whirled herself out of the flux to stand beside him. “Not at all. I don’t eat, but that’s no reason not to have a picnic right here.”

Charlie spread the blanket and they both sat, and chatted for a long while.

Lightning

He reached for one last thing in the basket, and took a deep breath. “I know you won’t be able to wear it, I’m not sure you’ll even be able to hold it, but…” He pulled the ring box out and showed her what was inside. “Marry me?”

Diana stared at him, then at the ring, then at him again, speechless.

“It doesn’t have to be right away, and I don’t know how it’s going to work, but I don’t care, and I…”

“Stop,” Diana suddenly told him, having found her voice again while he was rambling. “Why…?”

“Because I love you. Isn’t that enough?”

It was. “Yes.”
    Last edited by DaenaBenjen42, Apr 7, 2013
  10. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Moon, Stars and Lightning here - these were just wonderful!! I am enjoying Diana's character immensely through these, and I love her and Charlie's relationship through what you have shown. They are a beautiful pairing, especially for the hurdles in their way. [face_love]
  11. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    Mira_Jade: I'm glad you like the AU that is the Charlie and Diana romance. Thank you, Mira. :)

A/N: Got a plot bunny on Tuesday, ignored it, it wouldn't go away, so here it be... and I'm blaming Tax Season. Really.

Week 11 – UDC 7 – Leap Week

Fun

As the world solidified around him again, two things became readily apparent. One, he was standing on a small raised platform in a green column of light in a large room filled with eerily familiar equipment. Two, information began to pour into his mind, alerting him to various small disasters, a power outage in something called Zone Five, and a traffic jam somewhere else on a connecting freeway. Also… wait. He knew the date! It… was that really the date?

Blinking in confusion, he stared down at his hands… his glowing, translucent hands. “Oh boy.”

Play

Sitting on a table in a room with blue walls, Diana heard a noise and looked up to find a man, on the short side, older, wearing a combination of clothing that most people would think twice about. She frowned. “Do you… always dress like that?”

He paused for a long moment, looking at her. “Not always. Now, can you tell me your name and today’s date?” She frowned again and told him. “Thank you.”

“Where is here?” The question went ignored as the man left the room again, and Diana continued to frown. Something told her he’d be back.

Laugh

He heard the door open and close, and Al start to speak before the other man stopped in stunned silence, and Sam was finally able to tear his gaze away from his hands. “Am I dead?”

Al stared at him, standing there in the column of light, open mouthed, before shaking his head. “No, Sam. I… don’t think so.”

“Then why can I see through my hands?!?”

“Not to mention the rest of you.”

“Is the person in the waiting room translucent?”

Al frowned. “No, actually.”

“Then what’s going on here?!?”

Consulting the handlink again, Al’s frown deepened. “Haven’t the foggiest.”

Games

She’d given up sitting on the table that weirdly reflected a man she didn’t recognize and had taken up pacing when the man from before returned. “Hi. You know… this room is really Spartan.”

“What are you?”

Diana frowned at him. “What do you mean?” Two could play at that game. Unless… she glanced down at her unusually solid hands. “Oh. Oh!” The story she proceeded to tell him was far-fetched, but not the most unusual thing he’d ever heard.

Newly empowered with better knowledge, the man marched out of the room again, leaving her to frown once more. “I wonder why he needed to know all of that?”

Vacation

Two days, six meals, and three very indulgent bowls of ice cream later, Diana found herself back in the Flux of the NeuroBrain system at Public Works, finding little errors all over the place and ferreting out that which needed fixing in the system. Whatever else had happened in her absence, she’d arrived home to find Alex wondering who the man had been in her place, and Charlie waiting in cyberspace with a virtual picnic. Neither of those things would have been odd at all, had it not been for the detail of finding out just who the man was from the Pentagon files she’d cracked open… what in tarnation was a missing scientist supposedly stationed in New Mexico doing in her Flux stream? She’d wonder for a long time.
  12. Falcon Chosen One

star 9
    Loved Moon Stars and Lightning [face_love]

I always find when I come back from vacation, that things have gone haywire in my absence :p It's so true :p
  13. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Ooh, I liked this - especially Diana making up for lost time with the real meals and the ice-cream. :p The last drabble in particular I enjoyed - there's nothing like getting home to find your work in a tizzy. :rolleyes: And I adored Charlie's concern. [face_love] What was this set crossed over with, by the way? I wracked my brain, but was stumped. [face_thinking]
  14. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    JediFalcon: Oh yes. I know that feeling of things being messed up post vaca, too. :) Thank you.

Mira_Jade: It was crossed over with a fandom that is "fun to watch, but tough to explain." That fandom? Quantum Leap. Thank you, Mira. :)
  15. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    Week 12 – UDC 7 – The senses…

See

It was different, seeing this way as he navigated his way to a wall and stared at the thermographic images of people in what he suspected was a hot tub from the color output. For a moment, he allowed himself to forget the reasons for this on this night and simply watched life proceed.

Five minutes and several dozen rounds later, the set-up of an innocent officer was achieved, and no one would ever suspect anyone other than Robocop. After all… the rule was to destroy all prototypes, including that of the helmet the officer wore.

Hear

Lisa was still thinking about her encounter with Gadget when Sargent Parks dropped a stack of papers on her desk. “Oh. I was wondering why my case load wasn’t very much today...”

He chuckled. “These ended up in my office.”

“Hmmm… she knows, Sarge.” As Lisa opened up the first file, she glanced up at him, to find him frowning. “Gadget. She knows about Murphy. She was at Nancy’s and there were pictures.”

Parks nodded. “Oh. And…?”

“And we had a long talk. She didn’t tell them, but it was close thing.” Lisa frowned down at the open case file. “I’m not sure I would have had the same restraint.”

Touch

It wasn’t enough just to look at him in that uniform, she decided as she reached up and snatched the hat off his head with a knowing smile. “I just love a man in uniform.”

Ten seconds later, gloves removed, she was in his strong arms, breathing in his scent and enjoying the feel of him wrapped around her. They were in public, among his peers, but just for a moment it didn’t matter. For just this moment… there was only them.

Then he released her and plucked his hat back off of her head.

Sense

The tension was so thick he could almost see it tangibly in the air as he watched the still form propped up against the doorframe. The Chairman didn’t know how long Diana could hold back the wave of the termination cycle, or even if she could stop it, and as the minutes passed, the silence in the office was almost too much to take.

And then she reappeared, winked at him in acknowledgement, and vanished again. He wasn’t certain how she’d managed it, but she’d saved the day.

Later, he’d find out from Robocop that it wasn’t just Diana, but also the tech back at Metro South, too. He was gratefull to them both.

Smell

The smell hit her as soon as she opened the car door, and Lisa nearly shut it again out of reflex. She glanced to the passenger seat, currently filled by her metalized partner, and watched in wonder as he got out without hesitation. It amazed her sometimes, the things he did. “Can’t smell that, huh?” She got out reluctantly, shut the door.

His response was simple and to the point: “It does not bother me. It is just a smell.”

Until right then, she wasn’t certain he could smell at all.
  16. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Quantum Leap! Ah ha! Now I feel silly for missing it. :oops: 8-}

As for this week . . .

See: I like the double meaning of the prompt. How the bad-guy 'sees' things (through one of the helmets, I am guessing?), and then the set-up itself, changing the way the truth is seen. I liked the imagery this drabble packed. :)

Hear: I can only imagine having to keep a secret like that. :(

Touch: [face_love]

Sense: Great suspence built up there. =D=

Smell: And this was just a great characterization all around! Definitely my favourite of the set. :)

Well done, again. :D
  17. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    Mira_Jade: Oh yes, he was looking through the prototype helmet... while holding a prototype of the gun with which to pull off the perfect set up. More on that one as the prompts allow. Thank you, Mira. :)

Week 13 – UDC 7

Past

It was becoming a nightly ritual, to pause and hold a photograph, and pay tribute in silence to the past. She didn’t like to talk about her loss, not even with her in-laws, though she knew they would understand. It was enough, for now, to acknowledge the pain and the grief one step at a time.

“Mom?”

Jimmy’s voice startled her, and Nancy turned to find him watching her. She smiled, nodded once, and placed the picture back on the small table by the door. “Couldn’t sleep?”

He shook his head. “Can you come read to me?”

Though he was a little old to be read to, she wasn’t going to deny him. Not tonight.

Present

Waking from a sleep cycle was always a little unsettling, especially after a hard case. Now, as he opened his eyes, Robo found his father conversing with Charlie while setting up a chess board on a table Charlie had set up in front of him, and couldn’t help but stare. It was the last thing he’d expected, and he wasn’t sure if he should say something, or wait until he was noticed.

Russell glanced his way, smiled. “Well, now. How about a real game of chess where I know it’s you?”

“I do not remember a lot.”

“Consider this a memory exercise, then.”

And with that, the game was on.

Future

She snuggled into his arms on the couch in the house she’d created in cyberspace, and didn’t want to move. It was safe here, in his arms, in spite of the fact that millions of pieces of information were flowing in her mind’s eye without end. Here, she could relax… “Charlie?”

“Hmm?”

“Not that I don’t love it when you’re here, but doesn’t anyone get suspicious when you’re on VR all the time?”

He chuckled. “I set an alarm system for people coming back to the tech room.”

“An alarm?”

“The first time I used the data probe, Gadget teased me about getting addicted because I liked it too much. Not so. I like you, not this virtual reality.”

“Ah.”

Memories

Russell Murphy watched the eyes of what was left of his son as they sparred back and forth with the chess pieces, knowing from past experience that the cyborg remembered some very tricky moves, including one he himself had taught his son when he was just learning to play. He moved a piece, and smirked when there was a very long pause. “Confused?”

“Yes.”

He glanced at Charlie. “He get stumped often?”

“We don’t tend to play chess during his off duty time.”

A click and a whirring of servos brought Russell’s attention back to the game, and he smiled, for his son had figured out how to get out of check in six moves.

Expectations

She often wondered what he expected of this relationship between them, if he wanted more than what she could give. More… as in children, a real home. Famly. She could give him none of that… Dr. Mallardo and Chip Chaykin had taken that from her. They’d taken so much, and she’d gained… well… a family of millions who didn’t know she existed, a friend in the cyborg who protected them, and… Charlie. She’d gained Charlie.

What had he gained in all this? She wasn’t sure.
    Last edited by DaenaBenjen42, Apr 27, 2013
  18. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    This was a beautifully bittersweet week. [:D] I am starting to like this story the more and more I hear of it - I will have to find this series somewhere and catch up properly now. :p

But, for your drabbles:

Past: Ack. It's even harder watching her grief, knowing that he's still there. :( I loved the mother/son moment, though. [face_love]

Present & Memories: I really, really liked these two - especially the line about how quickly he relearned an old trick with the chess pieces. And I really liked that his dad is still in on his real identity, even if the rest of his family is not. :) (Did Robo lose his memories with everything that happened? I am piecing things together slowly but surely. :p)

Future & Expectations: Again, I think that this pairing is my favourite part of these drabbles. I loved the alarm he set up, and his line about loving her, not the virtual world was beautiful. The last drabble was a bittersweet punch to the gut, but I loved it all the more for that. =D=
  19. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    The series ignores movies two and three and serves as a direct sequel to movie one, taking place three to five (it varies depending on which ep you're watching) years later. And... [:D] If you like NCIS, and moderate campiness, you'll love the series. It was very well done. (Plus, the guy who played David Freeman's dad during Flight of the Navigator is a mad scientist!)

Re: Alex's memories. In Movie One, he had both a traumatic brain injury (having been shot brutally in the head, not to mention the rest of him), and laser-induced amnesia because the people working on the project designed a system not meant for a person and only wanted the years of experience of being a cop. Only problem? It was a person they used, and to put it in the words of the profiler during Prime Suspect: "Married ten years, one child. This was a family man. A religious man. Men like that have a way of surviving long after we die." Which sums up the situation perfectly, because it took a nightmare of being killed (during which the technicians were oblivious) for the memories to start coming back, and... given that they gave him amnesia on top of a brain injury, it's a wonder he remembers what he does. Which isn't a whole lot, in Robo's words from Movie One: "I can feel them, but I can't remember them." (In regard to his wife and kid.) Along the way during the series, he remembers more, but at first... nada.

Ack. It's even harder watching her grief, knowing that he's still there.

It really, really is.

And I really liked that his dad is still in on his real identity, even if the rest of his family is not.

His father figured it out after one too many hints and an incident where the helmet got knocked off. But we only got one season, so we didn't get to see them interact again. But that's why we've got fic, you know? To fill in those missing pieces!

Thank you, Mira. :)
    Last edited by DaenaBenjen42, Apr 27, 2013
  20. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    A/N: Since I mentioned Prime Suspect up there in relation to memory recall, and also because I said I’d do it if the prompts allowed it, I present…

Week 14 – UDC 7 – Prime Suspect

Castle

“Come on back, Rippencourt.” As soon as Charlie walked in the door for the second time in as many days, he was reminded at once that the man he was coming here to see had eyes everywhere. It galled him that the man couldn’t take the time to pronounce his name properly, but that was becoming increasingly small potatoes compared to the epiphany he’d had when he had caught Gadget with the circuit board prototype.

The possibility of someone else having kept theirs? The ramifications of such a possibility? That was why he’d come across town to talk to someone else who had also been on the project… even if their pronunciation left something to be desired.

House

Listening to Detective Madigan berate him for not being able to say where he was on the night of the murder, Robo glanced pointedly around the sanctuary they were standing in, wondering if she’d take the hint from just his body language. It wasn’t that he did not want to say, it was that he couldn’t say, and all matters related to Diana were confidential as a matter of public trust. Which… he had yet to figure out how to work around, and no one had yet asked the right questions or put two and two together about the week they’d had before the minister was killed by an unknown assailant.

Hut

He wasn’t sure what he’d find as he looked through the OCP files on his quarry who just happened to be six feet tall, wearing metal armor from head to toe, armed with a machine pistol of all things, and usually mild-mannered, but it sure wasn’t a new-found respect. Smith stared at the photo on record of the officer before he’d died and at the information, and didn’t want to believe the evidence of the crime any more than Detective Madigan had when she’d badgered Internal Affairs into giving RoboCop an inquest. Then he smothered those thoughts… it wasn’t his place to pass judgement on who was or wasn’t guilty.

Tent

Listening as Gadget told Charlie about having seen Alex as a hologram, Diana couldn’t help but smile as she heard the man brush her off and babbled an explanation of where he’d be going to the eight year old. Though she was standing in a basement, watching with guarded hope as Alex fixed the circuitry that had been damaged by that blow to the chest, it was still strange when she found she could listen in on a conversation taking place on the other side of town.

Cave

With the damage he’d taken at the church, Robo was unable to uplink to Metro South, so he had to do something he had not done in years… use a telephone booth on a street corner. It was odd and humbling all at once, and he would have smiled, or tried to, had the situation not been so dire.

Though he had called the back line for the tech room and was expecting to get Charlie, instead he ended up finding out from Gadget that Charlie was one step ahead of himself and Diana and now he had to rely on the girl to get help to Charlie before something bad happened.
  21. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Aha! So much more now makes sense. Thanks for filling in the blanks - I am really, really liking this story-line the more I learn of it. :D

Alrighty, now for this week: there is totally a story going on here that is a bit over my head, but I liked House for the further insight on Diana, and the whole situation. I liked Tent too for the same reason. But I really, really liked the mental image of Robo using a pay phone in Cave there. How awesome was that?

Another great set. =D=
  22. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    Mira_Jade: I’m glad I was able to explain the background in such a way that could be understood. And… if ever there was a mundane moment worth celebrating in science fiction, it’s Robocop having to use a pay phone and call the cops down on himself to save someone else… hee. Thank you, Mira. :)

Week 15 – UDC 7

Wife

When he got home to his apartment that night, he wondered what it would be like to have her here all the time and not just when he could get away or when there was enough energy in the grid for her hologram to appear. Charlie sighed and went to fix himself something to eat, only to be interrupted by his doorbell. Frowning, he went to answer it… to find a delivery person standing there with a bag. “Can I help you?”

The delivery person handed the bag to him, gave him a folded paper, and left.

Charlie unfolded the paper to find a note: “Missing you and also craving normality. Eat. –Diana”

Mother

She noticed the metal man staring down at the pictures of her family and suddenly felt closer to him than she thought possible. After all, this was a police officer, and though she didn’t quite understand what was going on inside his head and couldn’t see his eyes underneath the helmet, she did understand police officers. She’d married one, and was mother to another. Glancing at the pictures, she nodded. “That’s our son. Alex. He was killed on duty.”

The response she got was quiet, but sincere: “I am sorry.”

“I don’t suppose you drink coffee?”

“No, thank you.”

Daughter

Everybody cheered when she entered the station bullpen with the Sarge, and Gadget couldn’t help but blink in surprise. They’d really missed her that much? She looked up at her adoptive father. “I don’t get it.”

He smiled and patted her shoulder. “You have a family here, Gadget, and not just because I adopted you.”

“Huh?”

His explanation of all the officers of Metro South, even Bea, having grown attached to her since they’d solved the Dogtown Ripper case together did little to clear up her confusion, but that didn’t make it any less poignant.

Sister

He found her sitting at the edge of a virtual lake that continuously shifted colors, and couldn’t stop himself from putting his arms around her. “Hi.”

Diana leaned back into him. “Hi, yourself.”

“Haven’t seen you much lately.”

“Been thinking. A lot.”

“About?”

Her silence stretched for a long while before she answered quietly: “My sister had her second child last week. A girl. They named her Diana. After me. Why did they do that? What did I do to deserve the honor?!? Die?”

Charlie was at a loss for what to say in this situation and simply held her for a long while.

Aunt

In the city of Ann Arbor, Michigan, a little girl named Diana grows up hearing stories of the Aunt she was named after, knowing the woman had died young, but not how or when. She grows up and has a family of her own, and keeps the story of her namesake, the woman who went to work for a corporation as a secretary and didn’t get to come home again to family, close in mind.

She never does find out that her aunt isn’t dead, but has kept a close watch over her family from neighboring Detroit all her life.
  23. Falcon Chosen One

star 9
    Sister and Aunt are so sweet [face_love] loved the updates =D=
  24. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Wife: Have I mentioned how much I am starting to love this pairing? Because seriously, this drabble was made of total win. I loved her caring for him, even from afar like that. It's their own version of normalcy. [face_love]

Mother: More bittersweet-ness. :( How had to know he is standing right there in front of her! (Spoiler question, but does she ever figure that out in the series? [face_thinking])

Daughter: Family is made, not born into sometimes. Lovely. [face_love]

Sister: Ack. I can only imagine her sorrow and frustration there. :( I'm glad he could be there for her.

Aunt: A very nice way to continue the prior drabble. [face_love] And how funny, I happen to live right outside of Ann Arbor. :p This show is sounding better and better all the time. ;)

This was one of my favourite sets so far. :) =D=
  25. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    [replies moved to next post]
    Last edited by DaenaBenjen42, May 18, 2013
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl