main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY Rochester Heart Walk April 29, 2006

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by TD-027, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wookie_cookie

wookie_cookie Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2001
    Sorry we missed you Jeff. We were just speed walkers and speed eaters today.

Hopefully we'll have some pics up soon! I watched the last half of channel 13 news tonight but I didn't see any coverage. I had a great time. My first of hopefully many costuming events.

2. T_StarFlyer

T_StarFlyer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2004
    From the Rochester D and C

These walkers have heart

Up to 6,000 turn out for one of the area's biggest fundraisers

Sheila Rayam
    Staff writer

(April 30, 2006) ? They came in pairs and in large groups Saturday? many with signs taped to their T-shirts that stated the name of a friend or loved one ? to participate in the American Heart Association's 16th annual Heart Walk.

Organizers estimated that between 5,000 and 6,000 people joined in the walk that began at Blue Cross Arena at the War Memorial, making it one of the biggest such fundraisers of the year.

Last year, the walk generated $488,000. The fundraising goal for this year is $689,000. Officials didn't know Saturday how much had been raised.

With the Webster Thomas marching band leading the way, walkers did a three-mile trek that looped twice through the Corn Hill neighborhood near downtown.

Duane Monacelli and several of his Star Wars enthusiast friends stood out a bit from the crowd: Monacelli was one of two people dressed in a stormtrooper costume while two others were dressed as Jedi Knights.

"My wife's father had a heart transplant, so we're big believers in getting out" to walk, said Monacelli, of Hamlin. "We actually will do anything in our costumes for charity."

Monacelli and his wife, Lisa, have done the Heart Walk for several years.

"The first year, we actually did it with my father," said Lisa, whose father, Dennis Kelsey, underwent transplant surgery in January after suffering several heart attacks.

Aisha Norris had a sheet of paper taped to the back of her T-shirt that read "Grandmother Mary Dennis."

"She has a lot of trouble with her heart," said Norris, of Greece, about her grandmother. "She has seven stents in her heart and she just recently had a heart attack."

The Heart Walk was the third for Norris. Her 7-year-old son, Fidel was also present.

"I think it's important that we support it, we come out and we show that we are concerned," said Norris. "Because one day, it could be me, and I would hope my children would come out and walk and raise money and support me as well."

According to the American Heart Association, coronary disease is the single leading cause of death in the United States. This year, about 1.2 million Americans will have a heart attack, with an estimated 479,000 dying.

SRAYAM@DemocratandChronicle.com

3. Recaf2000

Recaf2000 Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2005
    I have pictures to add to the gallery :)

4. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    The album is started and my pictures are uploaded.
    Recaf2000 I gave you access to the album so that you can put your photos up there too.

~Doc_Bev

5. Recaf2000

Recaf2000 Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2005
    My pictures are added :)

6. TD-027

TD-027 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 27, 2004
    Nice Pics guys. Thank you for posting the D&C Article Emily, hopefully the Insider will do a nice story on us. :).

Duane

P.S. Once I get our team totals from the heat assoc. I'll post them.

7. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Sweet Pics.
    Horns!
    A good way to start off a Saturday.
    A healthy long walk and then a feast with the NFL draft.

8. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    If anyone has a hardcopy of the D&C article I'd love to get that for the scrapbook.

Also, folks keep an eye out for the insider that comes out tomorrow as I think we're supposed to be in that one. I had KS pick up some tonight, but we weren't in it. The one he found on the newstand was still the one dated April 28th.

~Doc_Bev

9. wookie_cookie

Sep 22, 2001
    If anyone can score a extra copy of the insider, I'd like one since I don't get it out in the sticks. ;)

10. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    I'll keep an eye out.

11. T_StarFlyer

T_StarFlyer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2004
  12. wookie_cookie

Sep 22, 2001
    Looking good! Thanks!

13. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Thanks to T & DarSolo I have a huge stack of these now.

~Doc_Bev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.