1. Welcome back everyone! Wondering why everything looks different? Please visit HERE for more information!

Art Archive Rocie's art - Finally updated again 5/25! Check it out!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Rocie, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Okay, great. Like I said, I don't really have many tips for this, I mostly learned by looking. But, I'll give it a shot.

I'm gonna use the head measurement trick to go over the length and width. The length of the body from the head to the feet is approximately 5 heads long. Width wise, across the shoulders is approaximately 3.

Now, as for the length of the hands, I know where they end, but it's hard for me to put it in words. Same thing with the legs. I use a pencil to take measurements and place things from that. But to make things easier, I may go ahead and make another diagram portraying the human figure. ;)
  2. Darth-Seldon Force Ghost

star 6
    I really like your Chewie.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/MarnaVeign/Rocie/wookie.jpg]

Good shading and fur distribution.
    Very nice.

-Seldon
  3. Rocie Jedi Knight

star 2
    Thanks, Han.

Darth-Seldon, thanks for your kindness. It isn't specifically Chewie, just a random wookie, but thanks. I really took a bunch of time to get the head right, only to muss up the whole thing with the body.

As I've said, I am working on proportions when I can. With some new changes in my life, I don't get much time, and I'm not sure when I'll be able to, but I'm working on it. :D
  4. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    As I've said, I am working on proportions when I can. With some new changes in my life, I don't get much time, and I'm not sure when I'll be able to, but I'm working on it.

I know life can be hectic (I know I mentioned in my thread that I would have my Luke and Han drawings updated, but I've been working on my final portfolios), but whenever you get the chance - draw. Take a sketchbook with you or just some pieces of paper and whenever you have some free time, just whip them out and do some quick sketches. This will improve your skills greatly.
  5. Rocie Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well, it isn't Star Wars, but it's my latest drawing. I pulled out my vacation photo album and drew this kid the best I could. What do you think?

A kid at Universal Studios

Am I doing good? :D
  6. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Am I doing good?

Absolutely! That's really great, Rocie! You're really starting to get there. The proportions are a LOT better and you even gave him a sense of weight. And nice job on the foreshortening on his shoes. That's coming together nicely.

But what really amazes me is your sense of space. The perspective of the building behind him looks really good. It really gives your drawing a sense of depth. Nice job! :D
  7. Rocie Jedi Knight

star 2
    After I drew the kid, I felt that he needed to be leaning against a wall or something. The real one in the photo was leaning against a fence. And, square buildings, I can do. At least perfectly square or rectangle ones. :D
  8. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    That's cool! It's in our artisic license to change things like that. ;) :p

And you really weren't kidding when you said about buildings. Like I said, you really have a knack for getting perspective right. :)
  9. hear+soul Force Ghost

star 6
    Hey Roc, would you mind if I "brought your saber to life?"

Here's what I mean-
  10. Rocie Jedi Knight

star 2
    Bring it to life? What have you in mind?

I actually have created a physical item that can be held. Made it with plastic canvas and yarn in grey, black, and red. It's kept tough with a wooden dowel inside it. Made another one for my spouse in a similar fashion. Well, that one's nearly done. Hehe. I scanned it in before stitching it closed.

Here's a scanned image of it. Mine is the same sort of thing, but in the pattern of the lightsaber I drew.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/MarnaVeign/Rocie/LorenSaber.jpg]
    Of course, it looks better if you click on it, you can see it in it's correct proportion. ;)

Anyway, I'm interested in your idea.
  11. hear+soul Force Ghost

star 6
    Sorry, my comp slowed down.

Here's what I mean- my saber
    It's easy to do and I'd be happy to do it for you.
  12. Rocie Jedi Knight

star 2
    I think I'd like that. Go for it. :D
  13. hear+soul Force Ghost

star 6
    cool. I'll start workin on it for ya.

*uses future saber to slice OPPM in half*
  14. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    That stitching method is something I haven't seen done before - especially in a shape of a lightsaber. Very original idea. I would like to see yours as well when it's completed. :)
  15. Rocie Jedi Knight

star 2
    Oh, mine's done. Just can't scan a round object very well. ;)

I'll see if I can find mine and take a pic with it. Since I've found my cheap-o digital camera. :D I have no idea where it is, though. The lightsaber. Where I live is a crowded mess of a basement. Can never find anything when I need it. :p
  16. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Oh, okay...that's cool then. :)

Where I live is a crowded mess of a basement. Can never find anything when I need it.

[face_laugh] That sounds awfully familiar. I guess it's a trait us art people have. We tend to be very disorganized. :p
  17. Rocie Jedi Knight

star 2
    Actually, if there was more room down here, I'd be able to GET organized. Living with the in-laws. Stuffing an apartment full of junk into a basement full of junk. Doesn't fit too well. ;)

But, with a new job I got, I hope to get back into a place of my own. Dream house has an 'our stuff' room. For things like drawing, crochet, fixing computers, sewing... saber dueling. :D

I can dream, can't I?
  18. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Okay...I see how it is... :p

Anyway, good luck with that new place! :D
  19. Rocie Jedi Knight

star 2
    Thanks. Well, I've started a project that I know is beyond my abilities, but I'm doing it anyway. Now, it's just the beginings of a hand. Soon as my baby goes to sleep, I'll be able to add details to the hand. Like fingernails. As it is right now, it's a long white glove. :D
  20. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Ooo...hands are tricky. I'm not too good with them myself. Out of everything, I feel this is the part that I have to work on the most. They always turn out looking like mittens for me. :p
  21. Rocie Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well, I've worked more on the hand, and it doesn't look too bad for my first hand. I'm going to post the progression on this picture as I go. Here's a link to the hand.

The hand
  22. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Very nice start. You did a good job with the creases in the hand and the fingernails. The left side looks a little weird, though. It bows outward in a unnatural position. No biggy, though. Should be an easy fix. :)

Be sure to keep us updated on the progress.
  23. Rocie Jedi Knight

star 2
  24. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Just looking at the "kid" and "hand" drawings--WOW! You're really making some great progress, very fast! I really like how the boy has a sense of "space:" of occupying it, I mean! The shadows on his legs, under his shorts, and his "weight" against the building behind him give him a definite sense of volume and reality. Your rendering of the hand (your own?) is wonderful in the details--the creases along the joints in the fingers, and the nails. The only thing it needs to give it "volume" is shading...? Both wonderful! :)

FF
  25. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    That looks a lot better, Rocie. Great job! Now I have to agree with FalconFan and say that the only thing it needs is shading. ;)
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.