main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Rocie's art - Finally updated again 5/25! Check it out!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Rocie, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocie

Rocie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2003
    Alright. Here's the next step I've taken. I've done a little more with the hand and added a face.

Here is the latest.

Again, tell me how I can improve, or how I have improved. I'm saving shading on the face for last because it's meant to be a reflection in a viewport. :D Though I'm not entirely sure how to pull that off. ;)

2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Wow, you're really moving on this thing. I admire you for that. :)

Looking good. Just some more tips with the head. The ears are a bit too high. Bring them down so that they are at least even with the bottom of the nose. I believe you should also add a bit more hair to the top of her head. Other than that, you're really starting to get the hang of faces. I can really see an improvement between this drawing and the first drawings you posted here. :)

Shading reflections can be a bit tricky. What I would recommend is to keep the lines fairly light and even smudge some to give it that ghost-like effect.

3. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    So, the bottom of the ears should be about even with the bottom of the nose? Am I understanding that right?

Also, thanks for the suggestion about shading the reflection. I'm hoping to work a little on the viewport sometime in the next day or two, but I'm not sure how much time I'll be able to work on it. Busy days ahead. :D

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    So, the bottom of the ears should be about even with the bottom of the nose? Am I understanding that right?

Yup, that's correct. :)

Yea, I think everyone has busy days ahead with the holidays and all. I know I will as well. ;) Oh well, when you get a chance, be sure to post up on your progress. :)

5. THEFORCE16

THEFORCE16 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2004
    Rocie, I think one of the things that helped me learn how to draw better was the notion that nothing I did was 'sacred'. By that I mean that you should relax and give yourself permission to make as many bad drawings as nescessary to get to the good ones. One freind once asked me what does it take to become a good artist. My response was: "A stack of bad drawings about eighteen feet high". Every time you do a drawing, no matter how much you hate it, you absolutely, positively learn something from it. It may not be obvious to you at the time, but have faith that the more you do, the better you will inevitibly become.I still often times will fill up pages of sketchbooks with all kinds of odds and ends of stuff. Some people want everything they do to be a masterpiece but it NEVER happens that way. If you look in my thread you'll see a Graphite drawing I did of yoda that clearly has something wrong with one of its eyes. Even though its distracting, theres also a lot of good things happening with it and I enjoyed the process of making it. I see a lot of promise in what you're doing. You're definitely on the right track. I especially like that hand you did. The wrist should be a bit narrower than the hand part itself, but the way you handled the fingers is really good. My last bit of unsolicited advice: Love your subject. Look at it until you know it with your eyes closed. Squint hard at it to see the tones and light values. Oh, yeah, and never,ever,ever give up. Sermon over.

6. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Ooo--shading reflections! You're an ambitious "art padawan," aren't you, Rocie? Go, Girl! I am so looking forward to seeing this progression! And wonderful advice, THEFORCE16...*copies entire post to keep for reference*...*also copies HS29's suggestion on shading reflections to keep for reference*... :D

7. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Agreed. You put forth some very good advice, THEFORCE16. And the paragraph you wrote above is no exception. :)

8. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Thank you for the advice. A while back, someone asked if the hand is mine. Yes, I used my own hand as a model, though if it was entirely mine, there would be some scars on the back of it.

You say to love the subject. I have seen this image in my mind at least 2 weeks. I only pray I can do it justice and not ruin it while perfecting it. But, that's why I started practicing planets on my lunch break today. :D

And, if I do ruin it, I'll have better experience drawing, and will be able to re-draw it better. And yeah, I am a bit ambitious. But, I just realized I could use my own reflection in the TV to do this young woman's reflection.

One more thing...FalconFan, are you so sure I am a girl? ;)

9. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Gosh, Rocie...sorry for making the assumption... *kicks at the dirt* :( But, now you've admitted to owning that beautiful--and sort of feminine--hand, I'm feeling more sure in my guess!
    Besides--aren't moms usually the ones that brag up their artistic children (love Tori's work, too, by the way! ;) )?

As to using your own reflection, good idea! There certainly is a wealth of ideas here in this forum! ;)

FF

10. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Busted! You are right in that assumption. I suppose I should not have acknowledged that the hand is mine. ;)

But I had so much fun in the RPF not telling people I'm a she. They assumed that because my character was a he that I was as well. That was fun. :D

I could always go back and edit that out, though. Preserve my secret and deny that I ever said it. :p

11. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Using your reflection in a TV is a great idea. You will get the same effect if it were an actual window/viewport. And since the screen of a TV is dark and you are looking out to a dark landscape from the viewport, it will work even better. Nice way to improvise. ;)

So...you are a girl. Now, that wasn't so bad, was it? :p

12. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    But, it sure was fun keeping that secret. [face_devil] Just don't correct others if they call me a 'he'. That's part of the fun of this user name.

You may know what I am, but you don't know the gender of any of my socks! :p

I'll be working on more drawings as I can. This week, I have to put in 6 hours overtime, and I want to get that all in 2 hours at a time the next 3 days. I'll have my hubbie post if it kills me. ;)

13. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I know how that is. With my username, I've been mistaken for a guy for way too long. I finally got sick of it and put a little note in my sig. about it. :p ;)

Ouch. Why is it that everyone gets busy the week before Christmas? It never makes sense. Oh well. Good luck with that work load. :)

14. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    It's because people realize it's the week before, and nothing's done.

I've actually taken a break time and sketched a pic of a lady with dreadlocks I saw at training last week. The real person nearly freaked me out with her appearence, so I decided to draw her in spare time, rather than taking my 'big project' to work. I'll try to find the time to scan it as-is (without arms and feet) and post her.

I do admit her hair was fun. I'll also see about giving her color. Got myself some colored pencils. :D

15. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Those are the best subjects to do. Just go around and draw what you see. ;)

Can't wait to see this drawing. And I hope you find the time to add color. :)

16. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    I actually have colored her hair, though I don't have her feet or arms done. I need a model for them so I can do it justice, but I'm so busy basically until after Christmas. Perhaps I'll just have her standing behind a log and between a few trees to hide the missing features. ;)

17. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    An easy solution for a model is to look through magazines and try to find someone in a similar position to what you're going for. This worked for me in the past.

Or you could always corner someone in your household and force them to model for you. That's what I did for the drawing of Han and Chewie. ;) :p

18. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    I actually decided the 'easy out' was to put mittens on her hands, and try to remember how I did the feet on the boy. Finished her at work, color and all, though my spouse says I need to do a background.

One of my co-workers suggested fire. "Looks like an arsenist" he said about it.

Another one commented "that scares me."

Don't know if it's that I drew her good and scary-looking...or that my attempt to draw her is scary. Either way, I took it as a complement. :D

I'll try to add a background to it and get it posted by this weekend. If I'm not too busy finishing up the Christmas cards (New Years by the time they get them) and wrapping gifts. ;)

If not, Merry Christmas!

19. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm glad to hear that you got it completed. I'm sure all those comments they were saying at work were indeed compliments. Or they're really mean...nah, I'm sticking to the former. ;)

I can feel for you with not having time to get it posted. My time online is gonna be limited this weekend as well and then next week, I'm off to the Outer Banks! :D

20. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Rocie, your description of the new piece sounds intriguing--I can't wait to see it! As to HS29's suggestion about magazine photos as reference for body poses, I wholeheartedly agree (web images can be useful, too)--they can sort of take the place of a "real model," and give you something to work from. I do a majority of my drawings' physical positions from photos, from various sources. Have a great holiday, and we'll see you when things slow down again! :)

FF

21. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Well, I drew a tree beside her, but now, she looks like she's being hung without a noose! I'm going to work on it a little more before posting it. After finishing up wrapping gifts for the weekend.

22. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Well, here she is as it is now.
    I call her...
    Wren

23. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Nice, nice...

Each drawing that you produce just keeps getting better and better. The facial features and body proportions are very good on this one. I also love the coloring in the tree and grass. Nice variety going on in there. I know you mentioned you were going to fix this up more - are you still going to do that or is this the final one for now?

24. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Thank you very much. If you look closely, on the other side of the paper is a drawing that is totally OUT of proportion. Any ideas on an alien head to go with a being with absolutely HUGE feet? ;) :p That's the only way I can think of to salvage that one.

For now, with Wren, this is it. I might add more trees to it behind her, but if I do it'll likely be next year.

Merry Christmas!

25. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Very nice, Rocie--and I don't think she looks "scarey," so much as pensive (thinking...?). The proportions are much better, as HS29 pointed out--and I like the shading you've done on her, as well. And I'm a bit jealous of the color (says the exclusively black-and-white FF! :p ), which is very nice, as well--cohesive, and complimentary to the composition. The tree is also well-done--the texture of the bark on the trunk, and the way the branch reaches out over her--compositionally, it keeps the eye moving back around to the subject (Wren). Very good! Your eye for detail is really getting good! :) Keep up the good work!

FF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.