main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Rocie's art - Finally updated again 5/25! Check it out!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Rocie, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocie

Rocie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2003
    Let's see if I get this right. The hand's at a funny angle, the chin is too big, the nose is too straight, the upper lip is also too big, and the neck's too long. Did I miss anything? :D

I did notice that there were some things about the huntress that looked funny. The neck being one of those. Some of the other comments help me greatly so I can improve more on my drawing. I'm not going to do anything about the huntress picture, since I think it's a little late to do much about it but put a background, but I will work more on the angle of the hand.

Between the two of you, you tore me to shreads. Thanks. :D I did ask for it, and I mean it when I say thank you.

I'll work on the hand and re-post the pic. See if I get it right.

OOps. I did miss something. Bigger eyes. ;)

2. Jediloren

Jediloren Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2002
    This is the Hubbie. Thanks for your help with her drawings. It adds alot to her quality of work.

Hansolo29
    The only thing that looks strange and unnatural is the position in which you have the hand. It's bending in an odd angle just beyond the area around the wrist. Now, by just studying your own arm, you can see that there is no joint in this area that would allow for this type of movement. The arm would come in on a more straight angle than curved.

I agree with you on that HanSolo29. It is in an unnatural position.

3. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    I fixed! Just need to get home, scan it in, and post it. :D

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Yea, I agree with you about not touching the huntress drawing anymore. You have it colored in and everything. It'll be a shame to mess up what you already have down.

Between the two of you, you tore me to shreads. Thanks. I did ask for it, and I mean it when I say thank you.

Really? Wow...I was trying to give an honest critique, but I thought it may have been a little too harsh. Well, I'm glad I was able to help you out! :)

With that said, I can't wait to see the final drawing! :D

5. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    Hey, practice makes perfect. I'm sure you'll get much better.

6. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Well, I got home, and I scanned it in. Here it is.

fixed arm

Better? :D

7. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Hi Rocie, I think the arm looks better. :)

Your concept for the Final Look at Home is really good and you are brave for taking on the drawing of a hand!

I think HS29 & flowerbee already gave you some great constructive criticism and advice, so I don't have too much to add in regards to them, but I'll try to write something. :p

I think the next step you should try to aim for is learning to give your faces more dimension and really start to study the shapes of people's eyes, noses and mouths. It all takes tons of practice and patience, but I think you have the drive to continue on and just get better and better. :)

A lot of your drawings of faces seem to be straight on. You might want to try drawing from a photo of someone in a partial profile. This will help you see the different planes and angles, and force you to start seeing/drawing the shapes in more of a 3-D way. Did that make sense?

I'm not sure if you are drawing your people straight from your imagination or from photos. But I think you might benefit from drawing from actual photographs. You might start to notice in more detail how differently our features can be shaped.

One example I can give is the shape of an eye. Right now you are drawing them in a very simple way (which is fine) but you could learn to make them look more realistic if you used real photos of eyes and mimicked their shapes for practice.
    One thing to keep in mind about an eye is that the full circle of one's iris (the colored part) is not always visible. Sometimes you can see the sclera (white part) underneath the iris with the uppermost part of the iris covered by the upper lid. By drawing eyes that way (when called for), your faces will have less of a 'surprised' look to them.

I hope you don't mind, but I did a quick example for you of an eye (compared to the more simple way of drawing one) and a nose from straight on and in profile. These are really rough and aren't meant to be perfect or anything (I'm no expert), but might give you an idea of what I'm talking about in regards to shapes. :)

Example of eye and nose(s) shapes

Hope it helps explain what I mean a little.
    I really enjoy watching your artwork evolve and I think you should be really proud of all you've accomplished thus far!

8. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Thank you, Obi-Dawn Kenobi. The boy against the wall was from a photo, the rest are from my mind. Wren is from memory of seeing a real person, but the others are right from my own mind.

I do appreciate your comments, and I will work on those suggestions. As I heard today, perfect practice makes perfect. And I will at least practice toward perfection.

I still say I'm no artist, though. Not yet. Not compaired to your skills, Obi-Dawn. ;) But I'm getting there. I'm out of stick figures, at least. :D

Though stick figures may be helpful with body proportions. [face_thinking]

9. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Kewl. :cool:

But I disagree about one thing:

You are an artist. There is an emotion that is conveyed by the figure in the Final Look at Home. That's indicative of art, imo.
    There's a definite feeling or atmosphere in Night Fog. That's art.
    And there's an real understanding of how a hand looks, or how a wood floor looks, and all of that equals art.

To me, art is human expression and you're expressing yourself with each and every drawing. That makes you an aritst. Like it or not. :p

;)

10. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Alright. You win on that point.

You know, the wooden floor came from years of being bred in church, looking at the wood in the different rooms I would be in. :D The rest just sort of comes from me wanting to do better than my ability.

11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    The rest just sort of comes from me wanting to do better than my ability.

I think that's a great statement and I think a lot of artists would agree with it. Just having that desire will help you to continually improve your drawing talents.

And all that time spent looking at wooden floors paid off when you wanted to draw one! That's a great lesson in how looking at something for a long time will help you figure out how to draw it later. Yay!

12. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    By the way, was there anything else with my project picture (Last look at home) that looks not quite right? I just want to have it as good as I can in pencil before I start coloring it in. :D

And it wasn't necessarily floors I was looking at in church. There was a lot of vertical woodwork, like the benches, closet doors, the pew, etc. When my son handed me a mahogany crayon, I just felt inspired to do the wood floor. ;)

13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Wow, nice explanation, Obi-Dawn! Excellent information you provided. :D

14. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Last Look, v2.5

I've made a couple more alterations to this. Anything else I can improve on before coloring and shading it? :D

15. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Gosh, Rocie, I go away for a while and you've put all your elements together! "Last Look" is wonderful in the feeling--one I know well, actually! ;) She's obviously having a lot of emotion about leaving home, and it shows in the scene. Again, I totally admire your taking on such an ambitious image like this to draw (like I said--this is why I do nothing but portraits! ;) )!

As to critique--I guess it still looks a bit "stiff" in the wrist area, but some of this, I believe, may be due to the fact that the arm is actually connecting to the "viewer," as the "reflected face" taking the last look... Some further shading (to produce some more "volume" for her face, hand and the planet) is in order, I think--but that may be coming with the color...? I'm going to defer to others here for further critique--to me, the feeling makes the picture, though. Can't wait to see it completed! :D

FF

16. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    I've actually printed out a copy to practice with the color.

Thought you guys and ladies would like to see a portrait of me my son drew. :D

Tori's latest

Just remember he's 3, getting closer to 4 years old. :D Not bad for his age, huh? :D

17. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Rocie, I would say you're about ready to start applying color. But before you do, I think taking [FalconFan[/b]'s advice and tweaking the arm just a tad bit more may benefit it.

And your son is really cute! :D He is quite talented and you can really see the outline of the head. ;)

18. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Hey Rocie
    It looks like you softened the lines on the nose a bit? I think it looks better! Can't wait to see it all colored in. :)

19. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Well, I printed out a few copies of the pic to practice coloring, just so I don't mess it up too badly. And, yes, I did alter the nose.

Today at work was inspiring to me, again. (I can't help but do some of these non-Star Wars things)

A day in the life of internet support

Inspired by real events for the day. Luckily, it only lasted a half hour. While I was on lunch. :D Pardon the creases. I folded it up.

20. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    [face_laugh] lol [face_laugh]

Very nice.

21. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    [face_laugh] That's great!

Eventhough it was done for fun, it also shows your developing skills. Awesome... :cool:

22. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Glad everyone likes it. :D

While I'm waiting for an opportunity to practice shading while looking at myself in a TV, I've been doing other little doodles at work. I have a Jedi sparring right now. Thing is, she isn't sparring with anyone yet. :D Still working on that part.

23. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    At special request, here's a tracing that my sis-in-law, MaryAnn, did.

Traced Reigndeer

MaryAnn had fun tracing this, and I suppose she enjoyed hearing about me putting my pictures here. She just wanted to share her own tracings. :D

24. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Hey, it's Rudolph! :D

Although it's a little late for the Christmas season, tell your sis-in-law that we apprecitate her sharing her work with us! :)

25. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Will do. She'll like hearing that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.