main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Rocie's art - Finally updated again 5/25! Check it out!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Rocie, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    Cool little doodles! :D

2. Rocie

Rocie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2003
    Since I posted it, she colored it in. Not too bad, really.

I've drawn a sparring match between 2 young Jedi. They may not look as young as they are, but they are meant to be young. After I do something along the lines of background, I'm planning on posting it.

I have yet to get time to practice coloring my reflection. Crazy life.

3. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Here's the pic I drew. It may not look too good with the scanning job, but for me, it's not bad, I think. As always, let me know how I can improve.

The Duel

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Not bad, Rocie. Your figures look fairly decent. Just some small things that I want to point out - perhaps the reason that they don't look all that young is because the girl appears to have a hunch-back. I think it's the way you drew the angle of the back. There should only be one straight/curved line. Not two distinct angles. Also, on the guy, I think he has too much skull. The top of his head seems to be too large.

Like I said, they're just two smaller details. Not too much to worry about. Other than that, they look pretty good! :)

5. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
  6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Looks like you made some good improvements to the duel drawing. I'm surprised you found an eraser that actually gets rid of colored pencil. Usually that's a real bugger to remove. Oh Well...things are looking real good within the drawing now. Nice work! :)

[face_laugh] I really get a kick out of these mini-comics! I bet you really do get some interesting questions working in a place like that. ("My computer IS running!") Great stuff!

Drawing-wise, things look real good. You're really starting to nail down expressions and even the gestures you have people in are looking great. Keep up the wonderful job, Rocie! :D

7. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    I'm glad you like it. :D Anything working with computers can get interesting things going on.

I've been trying to think of what to draw while trying to get some time to see my reflection in a TV for my project. It's tough to get that time between the 2 boys and needing to resolve a...situation that took a lot of time and stress. *no further comment about that*

Also been trying to think of any other work-related cartoon strip-ish things to draw. Or even Star Wars related.

Anyone know where I could get a good pic of someone kneeling on the ground, hands over his face, with another person comforting the first person? I can't quite picture it very well, and that's a sort of thing I want to try.

8. corellian_chic242

corellian_chic242 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 17, 2003
    Rocie, your drawings have improved a lot since you first started posting. Good work! :)

9. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Thanks. I've been hanging out in the art class thread and did a couple of those 'assignments', though this one may be skipped because some dental issues that are being resolved. Dentists are necessary evil.

I'll put the pics I did here so everyone can see them. It'll take a couple of edits though. ;)

Padme

Anakin

Droideka

10. corellian_chic242

corellian_chic242 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 17, 2003
    Oh, the outstretched arm on the droideika is really good! :eek: It's really clean and detailed compared to the rest. :)

11. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Thanks.

I've decided to do a lot of work to get all my art posted in the first post, as well as my big project's progress. I've added some color to the thing. Not done yet, but getting there. :D I'll put it here too.

Final look with color!

Let me know what you think. And any suggestions for the face coloring please.

12. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Well, I was going to do a drawing of a mountain I could see from the break room at work, but before I could start it, I got moved to another building. The view from this other break room is too close to the mountain to draw! Oh, well. I've been doing a little more writing lately anyway.

I would like to get some comments on how the project is doing and suggestions on how you think I should continue with the face.

13. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Hey there, Rocie! Sorry it took so long to get a response up in here.

Wow, you really made some nice progress on it. I think you capture the reflection of the girl in the window nicely. It's subtle and "hazy" like it should look. Excellent. Now onto the critique - the colored pencil(?) job looks a bit "grainy." You can see every single stroke within the background and it appears a bit rushed or sloppy. Try rubbing a paper towel or even your finger over the black area and it will help to smooth that down. You may have to go over it a few times, but it should do the trick. It would also help to add more shading to the hand to create the effect that it's a rounded form. As it stands at the moment, it appears flat. Hope that helps. ;)

14. DkSavior02

DkSavior02 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2004
    hay Rocie, your art is progressing nicely since the last time I was around, I'm impressed, keep it up.

15. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Thanks for the feedback. I've worked on the 'space' part of the picture, but now she stands out too much. I've still gotta figure out how to color her and have the shading look real. Take out some of that 'flat' look.

16. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Hmm...a way to get rid of that flat look? Well, something you may want to try is draw a circle on a scrap piece of paper. Now the real challenge here is to try and turn the circle into a sphere by adding shading to one side and bottom - making your pencil strokes move in the same circular direction. Or, you could just set a ball, or other round object(even your arm or leg) in front of you and study how the light hits it from different angles. This will help you get an idea on how to place the shadows on a drawing and to make them appear more organic and round.

17. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    I've added more color! :D Got bored at work this morning and tried coloring the face. What do you think?

Nearly done

That doesn't look quite so flat now, does it? :D

18. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Ooo...very nice job on the arm/hand, Rocie. That's definitely starting to come to life.

What you've done with the face looks good so far, but I think it still needs some more work(I know you mentioned you're not finished with it). I can start to see the different values coming forward in the neck and chin area, but the face itself still appears somewhat flat. Adding a little more color in that area will benefit the drawing, methinks. And just another note - don't be afraid to go too dark with color pencil/crayon. More often than not, the colors and craftsmanship of the piece look better the darker it is. :)

19. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, Rocie, this is looking soooo good now! The more you work on it, the more "emotion" it seems to have for me: the woman, standing at the viewport, staring at her home as she leaves it, then placing her hand over the retreating view of it... **sniff** I'm really liking the smoother look of your coloring--more saturated in the space surrounding the planet, and on her hand and arm. I agree with HS29 that sometimes it's almost better to go a little "darker," with color and shading: it tends to intensify the image for the viewer, and give things more "volume". The details around the viewport are good, too--it gives us the impression of being on the ship with her, sort of looking over her shoulder. This is coming along very well! Bravo!

FF

20. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Thank you both. I'm planning on having either a nice color of blue or green for the part that goes around the viewport. I'm a bit nervous about trying the planet around that hand though.

I'll take your advice into mind and darken some things a little more. Like I did with the black of space to smooth it out. :D

21. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Well, got bored at work yesturday. If you can't tell by looking at this latest update, I'm avoiding coloring the planet around that hand.

As always, be harsh so I can improve. :D

If you notice, I also decided to add some detail to the shirt. Did I pull off it looking more like fur, like it's supposed to be?

22. Jediloren

Jediloren Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2002
    Very good!!! The shirt does look real. look forward to seeing the planet.

23. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    I've been busy for a while, but I have another update on my "big project". Let me know what you think.

Inyan's last look at home.

24. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    As always, the emotion of the piece hits me first! I really like it, Rocie--her face in the reflection has depth, with the darker coloring (i.e., shading) you've added there--and the planet (home...sniff) looks wonderful. I think the only suggestion I would make now would be to darken the backside of the planet just a bit more (try to get a little more opacity in the black, right at the back side, while leaving it a little less dark near that great terminator you've done). Other than that--I think you've just about got this one done, don't you? I really love how you've kept working on this--that sort of dedication to a piece is something I need to learn (I'm always too ready to "round-file" something when it's taking too long, or I'm not getting what I think I want!). Good job, Rocie!

FF

25. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Thank you, FalconFan. I've taken your advise and used up a bunch more of my black colored pencil while waiting for chats to come in at work. Here's the latest...

Here it is again!

Do I really need to ask for further advise now? I do every time, and by now, you probably know I'm open for harch critics. ;) It's so hard to keep black colored pencil dark!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.