main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Rocketjock Eatery (A Star Wars: Intervention OOC/OOG discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Bravo, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Yeah, got to do the same.

2. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    So its been a while since I've read a Timothy Zahn book. And while I loved Death Star (although I haven't finished it yet), I have to say that Timothy Zahn has a way of dragging people into his stories. Granted, the last Timothy Zahn book I read was Survivor's Quest, which I thought was awesome with how someone (Zahn) finally have Imperial Stormtroopers the credit they deserve for being "elite" shock troopers. Scoundrels, which I'm reading now, is already drawing me in faster then a TIE Interceptor. Within the first few pages, Zahn does a masterful job of explaining how the replacement of the Imperial Senate with Moffs who have direct power causes the Rebel Alliance and groups like them to gain support with the uncertainty of not having a central political body (the Senate) to go to and how the corrupt Imperial politicians are already giving smugglers and illegal activities a leg up on everyone else. How Zahn describes this, is the fear the galaxy has with the uncertainty of the future; how the galaxy is gripped in fear just a short time after the Battle of Yavin.

Scoundrels helps explain the collapse of the Galactic Empire so quickly after Yavin (4 years). And it makes you wonder, for an empire that only lasted 23 years at its height of power and saw the next 15 years in collapse, warlords, and civil war until the end of the Galactic Civil War in 19 ABY, if Palpatine would of kept the Imperial Senate in place, could have the Galactic Empire lasted longer, even with a new Emperor if the events of the Battle of Endor still happened in 4 ABY? [face_thinking]

To say the least, I'm going to finish Scoundrels and catch up on Shadows of the Empire (if I can) before I finalize Intervention: Allegiance's storyline. Scoundrels has just made the Expanded Universe a lot more...juicy. :cool:

3. Intervention

Intervention Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2012
    Okay, so funny. [face_rofl]

[​IMG]

Mitth_Fisto and JediFalcon like this.
  4. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    And I hope Monk's recent post has ya all scratching your heads. [face_mischief]

Updated the Sentinel-class Patrol Craft with 2 Hellcaster cannons to better identify the vessel with it's close air support role for special forces and regular infantry forces.

So, I'm in the process of doing a second opening scene for Intervention: Allegiance that will have more foreshadowing of the game involved. I'll have the first bits posts ASAP. While I liked the first opening scene I posted a while back, I thought it lacked the character and depth of Intervention after a game that's been running for near 4 years. I wanted to add that depth and character in. However, be warned, that while spoiler tags will be applied to the opening scene before it's posted for the new game, there will be plenty of spoilers I won't be able to spoiler tag, so you read at your risk of spoilage.

So I'm working on the second opening scene for Allegiance and I had a thought: what if we did a mini-game for the epilogue, call it Intervention Stories again, and have it be our epilogues? It would give us a medium to have more interaction in terms of the epilogues and flush them out in greater detail. I'm almost 100% sold on this idea, because it would help CPL_Macja and I get a good running start on ours and not have to worry about a time frame. So, essentially, Intervention would end, end credits roll, then Intervention Stories picks up, explaining in short detail (lets give it a 3 to 6 page max) our Epilogues in between Intervention and Intervention: Allegiance. I would give you guys a set time frame of X amount of time before the start of Allegiance (a few weeks to a month at most) and that would give everyone the time they needed to get every done inside of.

Thoughts? :confused:

So from last night, I'm giving serious thought to putting Intervention: Allegiance back to 2 ABY (instead of 3 ABY, Battle of Hoth). The reason is three fold: first, like with Intervention, the "movie" (A New Hope) ended the game of Intervention essentially. I want the Battle of Hoth to mirror that. Second, I've always wanted to do a game during that 3 year period between ANH and ESB, because I always felt that was where the bulk of the Galactic Civil War was fought, yet not much known about it (and the possibilities with storylines more wide open because of that lack of knowledge). And third, I feel that 2/12 to 3 years is just too long for a Prophecy-coined starfighter squadron to be in limbo when the galaxy is ripping itself apart.

So, to go over again last night, what are everyone's thoughts of doing another Intervention Stories, this time in a mini-game format, to explain our Epilogues between Intervention and Intervention: Allegiance? The mini-game would take up the time it takes for me to get Intervention: Allegiance up and running and would span, roughly, 1 to 1/2 years of game time in the span of roughly a few weeks to a month in real time (like the original Epilogues, you'll have to be in contact with anyone your doing them with). This format, which I would think would help everyone, will give everyone more time to work with to wrap up loose storylines from Intervention and foreshadow events in Intervention: Allegiance for your characters. Thoughts? :confused:

5. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    You made some bone-headed decisions, almost got Fress killed, but it seems that you've survived he exodus and Fress is still alive. She may still want to kill you

I'm curious but when did Lasso almost get Fress killed? I remember it being Aurora he almost got killed by using her as bait and Fress wanted to kill him for leaving his wing man in the middle of battle. Or did I miss something?

6. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    I might have got it switched around... :oops:

7. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I didn't really get the Intervention Stories concept the first time around, so I would rather not participate, if its all the same to you.

Slightly separate idea, in galactic history, the Mercs or Jod took a wrong turn somewhere, how about the combined forces that are being built now, find themselves with a choice:

Go after Project Zero

OR

Post-Battle of Yavin, break the Imperial blockade that gets thrown around the Yavin moon, and help break those Rebels free.
    At least one platform, possibly the comics, can't remember, had the Yavin Base under seige from Imperial forces, who were awaiting reinforcements so they could level the moon.
    We could use that choice as the start of Allegiance, or your mini-game.

8. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    yeah you did... Well at least the characters part, the whole wanting to skin Lasso is still on the check list.

9. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Sith, Project Zero is the final mission for Intervention.

As for Intervention: Allegiance...let me give it come thought. I like to keep the games around the OT movies, so the ESB would be the focal end point of the next game. Let me think on it. I think the post I'm about to post is going to shake things up a little storyline wise anyways.

10. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Until I get this post done (almost there), I figure everyone on Actualize Station kind of relaxing, taking a break, etc. Just be free about your posts for a bit to get the wiggles out. ;)

11. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    *Wipes sweat from forehead*

Okay, its done. To understand why I did the following, which has been in the works for the last 6 months or so, is:

• From a game management point of view, I wanted to consolidate my characters so I could better manage the game and not be so thinly spread out with characters to respond as.
    • This was the natural transition as of about 2012. Originally, it was going to be the Sword of Justice Captain Timothy Stakes, but I realized that if I did that, I would be putting myself right back where I was (see above).
    • The "evolution" of Jason Lasso, from green pilot to veteran pilot, was always a storyline plot of mine. But, because of said above 2 concerns, I stretched myself out too thin and despite a few golden "moments" where Lasso showed his growth, I was never really satisfied with the storyline result for my main character. Jason's torture at the hands of Hilick Soal, which was to originally break him and start over with a untouchable drive for justice and truth, gave me the opportunity to use two earlier IC posts between Taller and Lasso (one before the memory loss, one after---I tried to hint at those in the recent posts) to bring the recent posts (today) to birth. My original storyline for Lasso was to have him go on a soul-searching journey in the second game. While this may still happen, it will happen to a much smaller extent, because I have found more usefulness and joy in taking the Lasso character through this same journey by having to discover and change by using his own "natural abilities" in leadership.
    • Lasso won't be Mr. Super Star leader right off the bad. Instead, he will make young leader's mistakes. But, I hope to showcase his young leadership talent to an extent.

12. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    "Fress?"

"She'd capture the Death Star single handily, force Vader to eat his underwear, and then blow up Palpatine's palace with the super laser. The Galactic Civil War would be over in less then a week. We want to get a piece of the action too."

that just made me giggle. If only that were actually possible :p

Nah she would take Anakin's underwear run it through a blender and make him drink it through a straw, Just saying O:)

13. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    On Lasso's new jacket, the Rebel Privateers symbol should be on the left side of the mid jacket, not the right side.

Brought to you by a newbie smartphone user.

14. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    As we probably all know by now, the boards are going through some issues. Please be patient for other players and staff.:)

Unscheduled Pizza Run (Outage)---Communications Board

So I've been giving serious thought to Sith's comment about moving Intervention: Allegiance to a sooner date then 3 ABY. I've shared the same thoughts for the last 2 weeks or so, I am going to do it. My main reason: I struggled with keeping the Mercs as the Mercs if they were off doing their own things for almost 3 years.

You can keep any Epilogues you may have started, since you'll only have to make the time frame of them shorter. The Mercs would "reunite" after our Epilogues 2 months ABY. The same rules apply with the use and growth of the Force during the shorter time frame (I am working on the Force Chart with any spare time I have right now).

Intervention: Allegiance's new start date will be at the end of the Blockade of Yavin, 6 months ABY. Spoilers for how the game will start below....

As a spoiler, to get you all excited, Intervention: Allegiance will be opening with the end battle at the Blockade of Yavin when the Mon Calamari navy, lead by Admiral Gial Ackbar, participates in the Battle of the Vallusk Cluster (this will be the opening I will type, so I will get drafts out ASAP for your approval before its final). While the battle is detailed in Race for Survival (comic), which I do not have, the sources I found on Wookiepedia state that Ackbar's forces did two others strikes (Battle at Kli'aar and Battle of Pinoora) along the Imperial blockade, to distract Imperial forces from pursuing the command elements of the Rebel Alliance. The sources on Wookieepdia state that the casualties rates for the engagements are unknown; the only hard evidence I was able to find was that Ackbar engaged 4 ImpStars at the Battle of the Vallusk Cluster, while the Battle at Kli'aar and Battle of Pinoora have no forces listed or casualties for the sides.

Considering the fact the Imperial Blockade stretched around the whole of Gordian Reach, I am going to assume these battles were rather large.

15. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Last night Philip had our admin switching the boards over to a more powerful server, since the amount of traffic has doubled in the past month. The smaller server isn't upto handling the amount of traffic the boards have been getting recently...

16. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    I'm glad we're getting more traffic. I hope it starts to feel like the early 2000's around the RPF again...busy, busy, busy!

17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I am fragging loving Lasso right now. I know it is the same player, but this is the attitude I wanted to see from Taller with the sith-storm the Jod have put the Mercs through, often without their knowledge, Taller's tactic of rolling over to get his tummy tickled by King Alex just did not sit right.

Lasso, great choice.

18. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    The way he pissed off the queen, ingenuous ;)

19. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Thanks Sith. :D It was time to retire Taller to a more diplomatic role. I had been running into issues between Taller and Lasso since 2012 and I needed to find a way to solve the problem. Well, the solution was found.

20. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Lasso response posted. Did you really think we would just go "Hello?" :p

Though I just thought

Yav - Lasso? So...how was your summer?

Williams kicked him under the table.

I think the post can stand as it is, though.

21. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    I have the Dramatis Personae posted (still a work in progress) with the old roster under it in the Quick Reference. The Dramatis Personae is the style of roster I want to go to for the next game. Thoughts and feelings on it?

Sith-I-5, question for you. I am running into one heck of a problem on the roster build. Too many things going in too many directions. I am trying to condense it back to a single ship roster. How connected are you to the DD? Is it possible that we keep her (because I want to, I think its a great ship idea), but keep her as a short of a command base and when-needed ship? That's my thought for the whole GRF, have the other ships remain "when-needed" in the storyline and focus back on the Johnny Boy. Thoughts?

I want to refocus Intervention: Allegiance on the Johnny Boy and Mercs as a small mercenary outfit unit. And I'm already running into problems with the GRF, adding in the detail needed to make it function as a steady storyline piece (way too many NPCs to have to worry about).

What if we "loaned" the DD to the SGIS? That way, it stays within our allies' control, Yav and company can use it whenever, and the Mercs make some credits off of the loaning?

22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I always thought if the DD as a command ship, since she is too weak to be put into a combat situation, and we lose too many friendlies if she takes a couple of enemy turbolaser hits.

I have never thought of SGIS as a money-rich organisation, but if the Mercs will accept a nominal amount, say fifty credits, or a few hundred as a stretch, yeah we could do that. I think allowing the freed Block people to repatriate home, etc; the Jod to return to their fleet, would be good, but how do we get them back when we need the interdictor again?

Does Yav lose the captaincy....:(?

23. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Hey Bravo I sent you a question to the Intervention sock. No rush, just a clarification before my next post which is 99% finished now.

[​IMG]

24. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Got it Jusik, thanks! I'll get to it ASAP. :)

I don't want to say loose captaincy. I do need to condense the "main themes" of the second game down to the Johnny Boy for the Mercs, that is for sure. But, if we allowed the Block peps to take over the DD completely, that would give you a crew loyal to the Mercs (and in particular to Yav) for their new home. If you would install a Commander ranked NPC, maybe from the SGIS to oversee the ship when we're not needing it, Yav retains his captain rank then because he still retains the rank to command the DD and the SGIS (who is still unknown to Lasso; I only think Taller knew about the SGIS and only at Yav's word at that) gets their own undercover toy to play with that no one knows about for their operations. And, as I figure it, when the DD is in "limbo" (not being used IC at the moment), she could also very easily used as a privateer for the Rebel Alliance.

I was thinking about this last night after I logged off the boards. Originally, I had the GRF as a major fleet body in the second game and that's where I was running into issues with NPCs. I was tripling my work load by keeping a storyline going with a concreted fleet. Even when I divided the fleet up into two wings (the JB took one wing as command ship, the DD the other as command ship), to essentially operate solo from each other and come together in large engagements, I ran into the problem I didn't want to run into it: the game felt segregated and almost like two different games, in effect, destroying the whole concept of Intervention and the Johnny Boy (the Mercs).

So my solution was to bring everything back to the JB and have the other elements of the GRF operate as they should have from the start: various cultures coming together in a time of need to battle the Empire. This "network" of communication between the various GRF ship commanders ensured that, like the Rebel Alliance fleet elements, the Empire or another enemy force couldn't launch a concreted attack and wipe out the whole Alliance Navy. While strength in numbers count, the GRF never went beyond 12 warships (14 at the most) and the Empire could have easily mustered 3 to 4 times that many ships in a small amount of time and wipe the GRF out. So, I also ran into the realism verses god-moding question.

Even with the GRF's original battle element of 3 King II-class Battleships (the JB, DD, 2 cruisers, 2 frigates, 2 corvettes, and 1 patrol boat in support roles around the Battleships), 3 to 5 ImpStars with several Victory-class SD's and Lancer-class Frigates in support could have easily destroyed the GRF gun to gun (ImpStars are more heavily armed then King II's for ship-to-ship combat, but King II's are more balanced in weaponry selection to defend against smaller ships and starfighters, have redundant shields, and are faster in sub-light speed and hyperspace). While King II's add important starfighter support that ImpStars lack, in a gun to gun shoot out without tactics involved, King II's would have a tough go at it. So, realistically, to have the GRF concreted wasn't realistic over a long period of time (with the Empire hunting the GRF like the Rebel Alliance) and neither would it support the Mercs feeling of being mercenaries. By keeping the GRF more scatter-like and able to come together on a short moments' notice, it prevents Imperial commanders from concreting their forces and forces the Imperial Navy to plan for surprise attacks from smaller and more mobile fleet elements of the GRF.

So, in conclusion, the GRF would operate like an alliance of commanders with a network of secretive communication (to keep the Imps out of the loop) to coordinate attacks and reinforcements, ensuring that the GRF can strike and defend effectively when needed. With that said, it brings the storyline focus back to the JB, but also ensures a larger universe being exposed at the same time.

25. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Hey all, Coffee_Ninja wanted me to let you all know that she will get a post up soon. She's in the middle of her CapStone finals for nursing. :)

I'm working on the Johnny Boy and replies to tags at the moment. :)