main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive rocketscientist's scifi art - some replies and a CALL FOR PS ADVICE! PLEASE HEPL! :p - 1/19

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by rocketscientist, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Your figures are just beautiful, rocketscientist--so much ease and fluidity. The sketch of your "padawan" is no exception--the limbs, head and body are all in beautiful symmetry--wonderful! And I love the "nebula!" Great colors and a wonderful swirly feel to it--very much reminds me of some of my favorite Hubble images... **sighs, recalling**

Great stuff!

FF

2. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Would it be odd to say that I see a face in the Nebula painting? There are two bright stars that could pass for eyes, and the streaks of black & Purple can be viewed as hair (lively hair like Medusa). Anywho, very lovely colours amid a mass of stars.

Your work on human figures is wonderful. Nice battle ready pose and expression. I particularly like how his hair is styled and would very much like to see this when it is finished. :D

- Suz ^_~

3. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    Heya rocketscientist, I just had a little browse. I enjoy your stuff very much. I hope you'll be finishing that Twi'lek from your first post! :) Love the vader stuff. Clearly you've got some great talent. BTW, does your son have that crazy hairdo? ;)

4. rocketscientist

rocketscientist Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2005
    Heya FalconFan! - glad you like the boy! Children have such different proportion than adults, they're interesting to draw every now and again.

And yeah - spacescape came from a couple of Hubble images that I put together. Good news - last I heard they had decided to fix it after all.

Y_W, you're right on the money! There is a face in there! ;)

As far as the padawan goes, I hadn't thought to do much more with it - but maybe I should, it would be kind of a cool portrait.
    [face_thinking]

Hi Giolon05! Not surprised you like the Twi'lek! [face_mischief] She's a composition sketch for the conté drawing below it, but now that you mention it - she would be fun to render out in pencil.

You guys give me lots of ideas.

And yeah - the boy used to have that hairstyle when his hair was long. But being a 10yr old he couldn't take fussing with it so he got it cut. Was cute though.

Thanks for the kind comments all! :)

5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The drawing of your son as a padawan is wonderful. Very stylish, I really like this one a lot. Plus, you can draw hands.

6. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Color that pic of your son!

7. rocketscientist

Nov 16, 2005
    The nude I was mentioning before - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

This one is for the ladies:

Jedi of the Month Club

[image=http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o129/r0ck3tsci3ntist/dreadlocknudeatwaterfall.jpg]

Graphite pencil - 4H through 9B

8. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    [face_dancing]=P~[face_dancing]

Hee!

I was so hoping this would be approved for posting!! =D==D=

I just love this, rs: there's so much beautiful detail, both in the figure and in the surroundings--the gorgeous anatomy and musculature, the veining in the forearms, hands and lower legs, the twisting and texture in the dreadlocked hair... Then there's that stunning waterfall, with all the great "splashiness" going on--his clothing and weapon, lying on the ledge there beside him--and that wonderful ripple in the water, where he's dipping in his toes... **sighs hugely** So much to love! And it isn't just the hunky Jedi! lol! Fabulous piece--just absolutely fabulous!! =D=

And yummy!
    =P~
    ;) :p

FF

9. rocketscientist

Nov 16, 2005
    Thanks FalconFan! And thanks for your encouragement! It always makes me happy when someone so talented is so generous with other artists. The forum is very fortunate to have you!

@};-

10. Fenrisulven

Fenrisulven Jedi Master star 1

Nov 18, 2004
    Wow, water and musculature, those two are damn hard to draw good (in my opinion...), but you really succeded. It looks marvellous! And there's good looking hands too. Man, you're great at drawing all the things I keep trying to be good at.

11. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Wow! I am utterly blown away by your talent, rs!!

You draw like many people sculpt--carving perfection on the page that leaves us breathless. I am thoroughly looking forward to more. I shall have to come back and talk about each individual piece when I have time.

=D=

*curses that there is no "I'm not worthy" emoticon around here*

12. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    I'm delurking like a good girl. :p

After seeing your art for geo3, I knew you had an incredible gift, and lookee here--you even have a fanart thread! :D I really love your Vaders, especially the wounded one. You have a skill for digging into Vader's psyche, even with your art--the way you have him all splayed out on the operating table says much in a very little space. And of course, hard not to fall in love with the Jedi of the Month photo. :p Amazing stuff, rs.

13. rocketscientist

Nov 16, 2005
    Fenriulven

Hi there! Thanks so much for commenting! Classic anatomy is something I'm pretty good at - been doing it a while. :D I'm glad you liked it!

Hey Souderwan! [face_peace] Thanks for stoping in! I was gettin' a little lonely. :p - I guess this stuff isn't really classic Star Wars, which probably gives it limited appeal. I can't help it though - I just like interpreting things.

I am thoroughly looking forward to more.

You mean like when I finish this?

[image=http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o129/r0ck3tsci3ntist/youngyoda.jpg]

*curses that there is no "I'm not worthy" emoticon around here*

No need for that - just say "Hi" from time to time. ;)

Hi Luna!

Thanks a bunch for delurking! I needed a little love![face_mischief]

I really love your Vaders, especially the wounded one. You have a skill for digging into Vader's psyche, even with your art--

I have a lot of sympathy for him - of course that doesn't mean I'm nice to him or anything... ;)

And of course, hard not to fall in love with the Jedi of the Month photo.

Glad you like him - but, uhm - he's not a photo - he's a pencil drawing. I'm kinda tickled that you thought it was a photo though. :)

Amazing stuff, rs.

Thanks a bunch!

14. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I confess!!! I've been lurking!!!! This is one of my favorite places to come just ... you know... to gawk. The way one does in a gallery. I tend to tiptoe. Hence the lurking.

But I can't stand the idea that you're lonely here, so.... HI! :D

15. rocketscientist

Nov 16, 2005
  16. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    AACK!! Too cool!! I love this piece-in-progress: what a great pose, so reminiscent of that "ready stance" he took just before launching into his epic duel with Palpatine! Wonderful costuming, with the shirtless vest and the "sandaled" feet--and those wiry, muscular arms are awesome! **wonders why it feels weird to gush over Yoda's "anatomy"** [face_worried] This is such a great interpretation of a younger and more vital Yoda (really diggin' that longer hair, too, for some reason! :p )--is this set on Dagobah, by chance...? That's what it looks like to me, anyway--and I really like that it feels as though we're perched in one of those gnarled trees, looking down at him as he practices with his weapon....

And I'm personally bewildered by the lack of response to "Bath at Sunset"--it's a gorgeous study, so contemplative and beautiful...and handsome... =P~ ;) Well--I love it, and can't wait to see how this new piece finishes! Great work, rs!

FF

17. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I have to agree with everything FalconFan said - your Yoda sketch already gives a kind of lithe, youthful power to an iconic figure that is nevertheless utterly familiar and true to the character we know as someone very old. Is this by any chance an illustration for a story called "Edge of Darkness," in which a much younger Yoda has his own brush with the Dark Side? If so, it is quite remarkable how you convey his relative youth and strength in a few strokes. That would indeed make the setting his home planet.

As for "Bath at Sunset" - is that the title of our "Jedi of the Month" image? Sweet Force, what IS there to say while helplessly drooling? I'm sorry, but that's what happens when you reduce your audience to a stunned silence at the artistry and beauty of you image. The only thing that kept me out of the ER after seeing that was the small voice at the back of my head that kept whispering, *Jedi... of the month?... you mean ...there might be... more???? * [face_laugh]

18. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Mmm-Mmmm-Mmmmmmmm....=P~ Oh Yeah, Now that's what I'm talking about. *nods approvingly* ;)

Outstanding work and study. How one of the female persuasion could not oggle and appreciate this Adonis is beyond me. I'm pretty sure I've said it before (and I know others have) but your talent in anatomy is truly amazing. Everything is properly defined. (I was actually thinking that maybe those winding veins in his arms were maybe water trinkling down his arm from a previous dip in the lake that none of us were privy to. [face_thinking] )

The surrounding environment is beautifully illustrated as well - The texture of every aspect is so clear! It's because of that I feel like I can almost hear the sounds going on around, from the crashing waterfall and running water to bird calls off in the distance or whatever other sounds of nature my mind seems to conjure up. You've thouroughly sucked me into your drawing (Or at least make me wish I was there - and no, it's not just because of the stark naked man. :p). The bright shining rays of light just beyond the waterfall looks gorgeous. Truly masterful. =D= =D= =D=

Nice work so far on Young Yoda. Is his left foot raised in the air? It's a little hard to tell since it's still in the early stage, but if so, it strikes me very much like a martial artist's pose. After seeing him flipping around like mad in the duel with Dooku in EPII at the remarkable age of 900 or so, it makes me wonder what he's capabable of with a finely honed body you've given him here in his youth. Love the clear look of grim determination on his face. Very Formidable. :D

- Suz ^_~

19. rocketscientist

Nov 16, 2005
    FalconFan [:D]

AACK!! Too cool!! I love this piece-in-progress: what a great pose, so reminiscent of that "ready stance" he took just before launching into his epic duel with Palpatine! Wonderful costuming, with the shirtless vest and the "sandaled" feet--and those wiry, muscular arms are awesome! **wonders why it feels weird to gush over Yoda's "anatomy"** This is such a great interpretation of a younger and more vital Yoda (really diggin' that longer hair, too, for some reason! )--is this set on Dagobah, by chance...? That's what it looks like to me, anyway--and I really like that it feels as though we're perched in one of those gnarled trees, looking down at him as he practices with his weapon....

Thanks! It is taken from that very stance and sort of moved back in time. It's a comp for a piece of art for SouderWan's Descent into the Dark about Yoda as a young (only 300 or so :p ) creature. I think I'm going to add one more character. I think I'm going to finish it in Painter.

And I'm personally bewildered by the lack of response to "Bath at Sunset"--it's a gorgeous study, so contemplative and beautiful...and handsome... Well--I love it, and can't wait to see how this new piece finishes! Great work, rs!

Thanks Hon! Oh well, who knows? Maybe there aren't as many women on this forum as I thought! :p But I don't sweat it too much, I was never the popular girl at school either! ;) Thanks so much for taking the time to stop in!

Hi there geo!

your Yoda sketch already gives a kind of lithe, youthful power to an iconic figure that is nevertheless utterly familiar and true to the character we know as someone very old.

I'm so glad! One of the things I really like to do is take a different look at these characters. Put them in situations that may seem odd for them or that we don't see very often. The oppertunity to do Yoda as a 'youth' was to good to pass up. Hopefully the finished piece will turn out well.

I'm sorry, but that's what happens when you reduce your audience to a stunned silence at the artistry and beauty of you image.

Oh good! Maybe that's what it is! LOL! I was afraid I was offending people, although I can't imagine why - there are tons of scantily clad Leias and Aylas around here. :p

The only thing that kept me out of the ER after seeing that was the small voice at the back of my head that kept whispering, *Jedi... of the month?... you mean ...there might be... more??

Perhaps, but it may be an idea whose time as not arrived - judging by the reaction. ;) Thanks for commenting!

Your_Worshipfulness

Hey! Great to see you!

Oh Yeah, Now that's what I'm talking about. *nods approvingly*

Alright! LOL! :D A woman after my own heart!

(I was actually thinking that maybe those winding veins in his arms were maybe water trinkling down his arm from a previous dip in the lake that none of us were privy to. )

OH! I LOVE that idea! You see? this is what I love about sharing things - you always get something back! You've just given me an idea for a story! Plus I love it that you 'entered' the picture and sort of created a 'history' for it. Thank you for sharing that! [:D]

The surrounding environment is beautifully illustrated as well - The texture of every aspect is so clear! It's because of that I feel like I can almost hear the sounds going on around, from the crashing waterfall and running water to bird calls off in the distance or whatever other sounds of nature my mind seems to conjure up. You've thouroughly sucked me into your drawing (Or at least make me wish I was there - and no, it's not just because of the stark naked man. ). The bright shining rays of light just beyond the waterfall looks gorgeous. Truly masterful.

Awww! [face_blush] :D Music to my ears, as are all of the comments! thank you so much!

Nice work so far on Young Yoda. Is his left foot raised in the a

20. waterlilymay001

waterlilymay001 Jedi Youngling

Jan 15, 2007
    wow=P~

i thought i had good drawings heheh. you have very very nice drawings i love them a lot. i hope you dont mind me saying this but if you would like i would love to show you some of my work as well? i dont know if you have seen it?....
    but once more great work love it@};-
    :D
    =D=

21. rocketscientist

Nov 16, 2005
    Hi waterlilymay001,

Thanks for stopping! And thanks for the compliments! I've seen the beautiful wallpapers you do and commented on them on your thread. :) They are some of the best I've ever seen! Do you have drawings as well? Post 'em, and I'll check them out!

22. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Oh wow, how did I miss this thread before? You stuff is absolutely amazing, rocketscientist! Very loose, yet defined pencil strokes, excellent conte renditions and I'm very envious of your understanding of anatomy. That's been something I've been struggling with for a long time now. Kudos to that!

My favorite out of the bunch for the moment is the "Jedi of the Month Club." The lighting and mood you portrayed in that image alone is alluring. And the muscle tone and definition - I could stare at that drawing all day.

Keep up the great work and I can't wait to see more from you! :D

23. rocketscientist

Nov 16, 2005
    Hi! HanSolo29!

Thank you for dropping a line! :D

Oh wow, how did I miss this thread before?

I guess I have a low profile. :p

You stuff is absolutely amazing, rocketscientist! Very loose, yet defined pencil strokes, excellent conte renditions and I'm very envious of your understanding of anatomy. That's been something I've been struggling with for a long time now. Kudos to that!

Thank you! [face_blush] I do tend to work loose. The art college I went to catered to a lot of abstract artists and the words "loosen up..." forever ring in my head. [face_hypnotized]

As far as anatomy goes, I've just drawn lots o' nekid people (at this point I barely notice that the model I'm chatting with is unclothed). O:)

My favorite out of the bunch for the moment is the "Jedi of the Month Club." The lighting and mood you portrayed in that image alone is alluring. And the muscle tone and definition - I could stare at that drawing all day.

Thanks again! I love drawing action scenes and looking at them too, but suddenly I wanted to see these characters taking a break - doing something nice for themselves. I wanted to give poor Quinlan a chance to chill out. Silly I know - they're just fictional characters. :p

Ok, all you photoshop people! I NEED some advice! I'm trying to make a cover piece for my fic and I don't know doody about PS.

This is as far as I've gotten:

[image=http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o129/r0ck3tsci3ntist/three.jpg]

Obviously, this could be a lot better. (duh) But I don't know how to do those gorgeous backgrounds and treatments that you guys use. Any simple suggestions? (keyword being 'simple')

The theme is 'duality'

24. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    I'm not an expert, but I might be able to help you.

I've just recently discovered the shape feature, so I'm not sure what exactly you can do with it, but it's quite cool.
    I'll try making a tutorial for you.

Shapes:

There's this box on the left, right? The shape button is the one below the text (T) one. With a right click, you can change from the simple box shape to others. Choose custom.
    Below the File-Edit-and-such row should be another one with these shapes (boxes, etc.) again. Than there's Shape: with a thumbnail image. Click onto the arrow on its right and again on the arrow in the box that has now appeared. Select all.
    That should provide you with some shapes you can use. Once you have selected a shape, just pull it over your pic. You can change the color of the shape by double-clicking onto the left box in the layer box. (on your right; and if not click window: layers)

Then you can fiddle around a bit with the blending options. Click onto the white box in the layer box. (saying "normal") Then just play around a bit. Note that you get the nicest things there when the layer you edit is over another very colorful layer. F.e. you could duplicate your original layer.

Most of those shapes are pretty boring, though.

I try to only use the corners or edges of them. Looks quite okay then. F.e. this icon I made on Friday:
    [image=http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/8950/iconfordlc2copymu4.jpg]

Colorful background:

In case you don't want to draw your background (like I sometimes do), you can also create one by clicking on the Gradient tool. It's in the box on the left, the box that is white on one side and gets black.
    Go up into the row under the File/edit-stuff one. There should be a colorful box now. Click onto the arrow next to it to select one of the already existing color schemes. (I'll just call them that way)
    Again, there are some shapes like diamont or reflected gradient. (right next to the box)
    With a double-click onto the box you open a menu where you can also change the colors of the scheme. (the arrows under the colorful box, double-click)

Patterns:

There several ways of getting patterns. Note that they look extremely stupid, but you can change that a bit by changing the blending options or the ocopacity. (next to the blending options box)

Okay, back to patterns: One way is going to edit and then select fill. Now you can select under contents: Use: the pattern option.

Or you can go to your tool box on the left and click onto the Pattern Stamp tool. The choose a pattern in the row under the top row. (thumnail)
    Now draw whatever you like. You can edit the size and the hardness by clicking on the arrow next to the Brush: [dot] thingy in the top bar.

Look what I did....
    [image=http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/9034/untitled18tq.jpg]

Okay, I guess now you've learned everything you didn't want to know. :p Sorry for me overusing the word "box". I just don't know how to describe it else.

Do you know how you can make pictures blend into each other?
    If not, I can teach you that as well.

25. rocketscientist

Nov 16, 2005
    Thanks so much Chilla! [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.