main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rockstar Games Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Lord-Draco, Oct 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    [image=http://www.rockstargames.com/freeshirt/main.jpg]

Today marked another epic day for my buddies over at Rockstar Games. Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories for the PSP is out today in stores everywhere and The Warriors also came out a few days ago. Mind you that The Warriors and LCS isn't what this thread is about. This thread is about the great success that Rockstar Games has came to since 2000.

In my mind Rockstar Games is a cool azz company that pushes the limits to bring us great games one after another. Their dark humor and mature themes is something that I have been waiting for in the gaming industry and I'm glad that Rockstar gives it to us. Rockstar Games is the Rockstars of the gaming industry. At E3 this year they had one of the tightest Booth setups and anyone who went there would know what I'm talking about. I mean while all the other booths were just strictly gaming with maybe a few Booth Babes, Rockstar had the better booth. I mean there was one guy who worked for R* who literally had a bottle of Grey Goose Vodka sitting on the table at the booth while he was talking to this hott azz chick. I mean DAMN! They are actually living up to their name lol.

2000-Present:
    Grand Theft Auto: 3 - Vice City - San Andreas - Liberty City Stories
    Midnight Club Racing - Midnight Club 2 - Midnight Club 3
    Smugglers Run - Smugglers Run 2
    Max Payne - Max Payne 2
    The Warriors
    Red Dead Revolver
    Oni
    Manhunt
    State of Emergency
    Bully (Coming Soon)
    Sunday Driver (Coming Soon)

Classics:
    GTA - GTA 2 - GTA London 1969
    Thrasher: Skate and Destroy
    Wild Metal

All are worthy games. Some are better games and some or not so better games, but they are good games that have in many ways, changed the face of the industry and how we know it. Let this discussion continue on as the Rockstar Games Appreciation thread. Talk about anything and everything related to Rockstar Games and their past and present work and possible future work/success.

Also here is an article that is a must read. ==> Why Rockstar Games Rule

2. Feezior

Feezior Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2005
    I have to agree, i love Rockstar's games and as a company on the whole, can't wait for Bully!

3. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Exactly! Rockstar is a great company which doesn't really get much respect in some aspects. However I believe that it is the right time to finally bring out their awareness. Within the past two weeks, two great games has came out by them with another on the way. That game is Bully which will probably be the last game R* makes before the move to Next Gen consoles.

After reading that article, there was one thing that really stood out to me:
    That just goes to show right there that they are out for the entertainment factor. Something that is lone lost in gaming today. Rockstar Games doesn't see themselves as just a company who makes videogames but more as a Entertainment/Pop Culture Company

4. Brother_Of_Watto

Brother_Of_Watto Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2005
    Rockstar just isn't recognized very well. I'm a major fan of the GTA series as well as the Midnight clubs. They don't really make a whole lot of games but the one they do make kick azz.

Edit

What is Bully becuase I havn't heard about and should I have?

5. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Rockstar Games in many ways is an underrated Publisher. However their popularity will rise once the Next Gen consoles arrive.

6. Feezior

Jun 14, 2005
    I don't go out to buy a rockstar videogame and see it as buying a game, essentially it is, but i totally understand where they are coming from, Rockstars games are a work of Art, more than mere games, like how Vice city reflected the eighties, San Andreas the early nineties, Rockstar games capture an era and play with it, i find their products very interesting, and references in them, they pay homage to alsorts, movies, fashion, culture, and they don't shy away from the negative or violent sides of an era, and i respect that...roll it all into one and you get one hell of a product!

7. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    See but that idea expands far beyond just GTA but in other R* installations such as The Warriors. I mean if Electronic Arts (Which is a great company BTW) published The Warriors, people would be all over the hype wagon and saying how EA got away with another great Move-to-Game adaption. However in the case of R*, people just see it as "Blah, just another Rockstar game where you shoot up things, beat up people, and do a whole bunch of other illegal crap."

Which brings us back to the idea that R* is essentially underrated outside of GTA.

8. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Other than Grand Theft Auto and Manhunt, I really don't have any time for any of their other games.
    Fair enough, Midnight Club shows alot of polish and playability, but it's hardly as good as the likes of Need For Speed or Burnout, and compared to the two of them, there's alot more room for fun.

Other than that, they were responsible for publishing Oni and Max Payne 2, which are two of my most favorite games ever, but other than that, most of the stuff Rockstar as a whole (i.e. not Rockstar North) has developed is just pish.

9. NewWorldOrder

NewWorldOrder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2005
  10. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Far opinion :)

I just like how Rockstar has a different style than other Publishers out there. They seem to not follow all the current gaming trends out now like FPS, Online, Graphic Whoring etc etc etc. They just stick with their own style and taste in gaming.

11. NewWorldOrder

Jul 20, 2005
    29 years old & love GTA.
    it is like a piece of art!!
    i even bought some GTA kubrick figs, and a GTA hat i love it so much. now onto the posters and poster frames.:-B

12. SithLordPat

SithLordPat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2005
    By looking at that list of games I only saw one good series, grand theft auto. Smugglers run just sucked. Most of those games were horribly, though I wonder how good the Warriors is and well for that matter, what it's about.

13. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    The Max Payne games are great and Warriors has been getting good reviews.

14. SithLordPat

Mar 30, 2005
    Mac Payne one was pretty good never played 2. But those games are creepy.

15. Feezior

Jun 14, 2005
    Manhunt is great, im currently playing the Warriors and i must say it has pretty instantly become one of my most prized games :D

16. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    While GTA maybe the better series from Rockstar and the more popular, the Midnight Club series is also a great one as well. I mean name one game before the first midnight club to handle underground urban street racing like MC did. I mean the sheer size of the maps and the ability to go wherever you wanted to go, something that NFSU2 copied from. Then there is MC2 which expanded on the idea of the first but this time gave a nice storyline to follow and characters to follow, not to mention the addition of motorcycles....something that even NFSU2 doesn't have. Then there is MC3, again expanding on the ideas and concepts of MC2 but this time adding the ability to customize cars. However that concept was already introduced in NFSU, MC3 took an interesting approach on it and even gave you the option to customize motorcycles....something you can't do in neither of the NFSU games.

Then there is Max Payne, one of the first games to use the Matrix Bullet Time feature and used it to a great matter if I may add. Then you had games such as True Crime and Dead to Rights come and use that same concept. The way Max Payne had its storyline....like tragic comic book hero character, very similar to what we see in Sin City. The atmosphere was dark and gritty and the narrative was well done.

Then you have The Warriors. Not just a great game but a great Move-To-Game adaption and thats something that we all know doesn't come very well these days but Rockstar pulled it off.

17. SlytherinHouse

SlytherinHouse Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2000

I'm a big fan of doing one thing and doing it well. Rockstar is a good example of quality over quantity, unlike some other developers...EA comes to mind.

EDIT: Oh, and GTA:LCS is going to get me fired. I don't have the self-control to leave my PSP at home.

Sly

18. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Rockstar is a quality company. Electronic Arts is a great company with some great games, but to me it seems like their #1 motive is how much $$$ they can get into their pockets. LucasArts is another example of that. However I don't believe that Rockstar has ever rushed a game out way before its time or anything like that. They're a great company that just doesn't get the respect they deserve.

19. SlytherinHouse

SlytherinHouse Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2000

Exactly...and I can see that to a point with Lucasarts, although they've gotten better over time, I think. But a lot of developers are kind of like the Fox TV network, they just throw tons and tons of crap out there and hope something sticks.

Sly

20. SithLordPat

Mar 30, 2005
    Like I said Rockstar has some good games and a lot more bad games

Good:
    GTA series
    Max Payne
    The Warriors
    and that's about it

Ok games:
    Manhunt
    well that's about it as well

Bad games:
    Smugglers run series
    Midnight club series
    etc...

Now compare Rockstar and Pandemic studios, Pandemic was just like ol' Rstar, small and nameless. They made a killter game and now their huge, but point is Rockstar isn't that good of a game devloper. Oh and EA has some good games MoH series, Battlefield series, Harry Potter, 007 occasionally

21. NewWorldOrder

Jul 20, 2005
  22. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    And thats something that Rockstar doesn't aim their games towards. Which is another thing that I like. ;)

23. SithLordPat

Mar 30, 2005
    Better to be a kid who's had a real girlfriend then to be 20-29 and not, and I've never had trouble getting games like GTA, or other, I just prefer not to get crappy games just because they're rated something.

24. NewWorldOrder

Jul 20, 2005
    If your refering to me, i'm married kid. (nice try though)

Yes i also like that GTA games are not intended for kids.
    i would never let my daughter near GTA. IMO a person should be at least 15-16 before playing GTA.

on a side note just started a new game of SA.(with cheats this time:cool:)

25. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...eh, i appreciate Rockstar..

"Oni" is one of the most underrated games of all-time. Still has probably my favourite combat system of any game i've ever played.

"Red Dead Revolver" was a flawed game, but the good stuff was REALLY good stuff.

The GTA series was probably the last GREAT gaming revolution.

Max Payne's "bullet-time" dynamic has been copied by many games since.

Any game by Rockstar that comes out will at least have me considering buying it.....

Pandemic is starting to get that way, too..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.