main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rockstar Games Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Lord-Draco, Oct 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLordPat

SithLordPat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2005
    Amazing how stupid some people are :oops:. How does a number reflect on maturity? Hmmmmm [face_thinking]. I've been playing GTA since I was seven or eight oh and lookie there, I've never shot up my school or smoked weed. I'm actually Christian and what not. I guess that you're one of those people that think violence in games reflects on violence in the real world?

2. NewWorldOrder

NewWorldOrder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    "I've been playing GTA since I was seven or eight oh and lookie there, I've never shot up my school or smoked weed. I'm actually Christian and what not."

I rest my case.^[face_whistling]

"How does a number reflect on maturity?" When you grow up little boy you'll know, and unless you have life experience you can't say shi*

"I guess that you're one of those people that think violence in games reflects on violence in the real world?"

no!(i just dont think anyone under that age needs to be hearing the f'word every 6 seconds like in SA if you hear it in RL i don't care hence the mature rating for SA) when you get big and grow up and what not and have kids, you'll understand.(maybe)Until then.. I SAY GOOD DAY!
    now back on topic..

/goes back to playing GTA

3. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    SithLordPat posted on 10/26/05 7:11pm
    How does a number reflect on maturity?[hr][/blockquote]
    [i]"I'd like to prove this mathematically if I may.
    Take your current age, now subtract ten years from it.
    Were you smart back then?
    Of course you weren't, you were a goddamn idiot.
    Fact of the matter is, you're just as bigger idiot today,
    It'll just take you ten more years to realise it."[/i]
    -Pvt. L L Church

4. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    And I'm 20 and engaged to be married pretty soon. So I guess your little 9 year age difference from me is really irrelevant right now ha?

Nice try though ;)

Oh well, back to Rockstar talk....

5. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ..i walked into Wal-mart today..

They had "Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories" on the shelf and only ONE PSP unit left for sale.

It was an absolute test of will NOT to buy both :p

Sometimes, i wonder if Wal-mart does that on purpose.. Keeps ONE system on teh shelf, with an entire cart-load in the backroom :p

6. NewWorldOrder

Jul 20, 2005
    I heard LS might come to pc in the future any truth to this?

7. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    You hear wrong. I do not know how much more I can stress this but LCS is a PSP game only and will remain that way in the future. Console/PC versions of GTA will be in the form of GTA 4 for the PS3/360.

8. SlytherinHouse

SlytherinHouse Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2000

You know...after playing games like Dead to Rights and Coded Arms on PSP, I thought that it was going to be seriously limited system. They weren't bad games, they just weren't anywhere near their console counterparts. I was a little nervous about how GTA was going to do on PSP, but it is just as good as the original in terms of everything: graphics, sound, content. I think that with this game, Rockstar has proved that PSP can be just as good as the PS2, or at least as the PS2 was back in the GTA3 days.

Sly

9. NewWorldOrder

Jul 20, 2005
    I will really give RS some Appreciation when i hear that gta next gen wont be an exclusive title;)

10. SlytherinHouse

SlytherinHouse Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2000
    As I understand it, it's not by their choice. I think I read that they had signed a some contract with Sony that said they would make 5 games that would be Sony-exclusive for a set period of time. They still have one left. I could be completely wrong, but I'm pretty sure we can expect one more exclusive.

Sly

11. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Pvt LL Church was dead on the money.

Be nice if they'd just end the GTA series or better yet make a SW GTA. Now that would rock hard. I just thought RS only wanted to make the games on the Sony platforms.

12. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Why would they end the GTA series? Besides Halo and Morrowind/KOTOR/Fable, the GTA games has been a revolution to gaming today. I mean look at how many innovations and ideas has came out of the GTA series. Games like The Getaway, Mafia, True Crimes etc etc etc. All games there were only possible because of GTA. GTA is more then just shooting cops. Play San Andreas and you can see how expansive it got.

The things that were supposed to make Fable a revolutionary game, San Andreas already implemented it. Examples such as eating, getting GFs, buying clothes, buying homes etc.

And did you just say Star Wars GTA? Nevermind, I'm just going to pretend as if I didn't read that.

As for Rockstar themselves. I believe that this coming generation with the 360, PSP, and PS3. They will prove to be a bigger hit than they were with the current consoles.

Rockstar is like one of the only Publishers out there who isn't just all about the money. I would mention a few publishers who are but I wouldn't get into that. I did that before and it didn't turn out all to well if you know what I mean. However Rockstar is about the money in some respects, I mean thats the whole idea of running a business....to make a profit. However Rockstar also goes deeper and gives us consumers what we want but don't get because other developers/publishers are too scared to do it. Developers never wanted to make a GTA3 type game, but ever since 2001, its like the current trend is to make "The next GTA Killer" game. Before Midnight Club, the only racing games we got were Gran Turismo spin offs and just your typical drive in the city racing games like Project Gotham. Now since Midnight Club in 2000, its like every developer is trying to make the "Next best illegal street racing game". I mean thats two trends that Rockstar has created.

Rockstar is a great company and deserves all the credit they get.

13. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Draco have you ever played an RPG? These examples you've mentioned have all been around for years. Eating? Just off the top of my head I can think of the Quest for Glory series. You don't have your character eat enough? He dies. And the first one of those came out in 1989! Having a girlfriend in a game, buying clothes (read: skins) and homes. It has ALL been done before. GTA: III was revolutionary with it's free-roaming open endedness, I'll give you that. But saying that the other games in the series, which are just rehashes of the same thing, are just as revolutionary is ridiculous.

All those games you mentioned that wouldn't be around without GTA are, at their core, all exactly the same. Oh, I'm a criminal who will drive around in my car running from the cops, getting into shootouts, bla bla bla DULL. Besides have you ever heard of the game Driver? It came out a full two years before GTA III hit the scene. So don't say that all these criminal driving games are around ONLY because of GTA when obviously they existed before.

And how can you say that Rockstar isn't "just about the money"? They've come out with the exact same game countless times now with tiny little tweaks here and there. What is Liberty City Stories besides a port of GTA3? And now they're coming out with the "Trilogy". Rockstar makes the most overhyped games out there and haven't done anything new in years.

14. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    You're a great man Lando, but those last two paragraphs sums up an entire group of people who have such an ignorant view on GTA.

First off, why is it that people knock GTA and say that "All you do is run from cops and shot stuff". Well DUH!!!!, thats one of the aspects of the game. All games has core aspects to it.

Halo -- All you do is run around and shot aliens
    RPG -- All you do is go around and talk to people, find items, and get in some scruffy fights
    Fighting Games -- All you do is punch and kick an opposing person
    Driving Games -- All you do is race from point A to point B
    RTS Games -- All you do is highlight a portion on the map and watch your men do the rest of the work

I mean I can go on and on and on about this. Don't sit there and try to knock GTA for just shooting cops and getting hookers.

Also don't sit there and say that only a few tweaks are added to each game to try to make it different. Vice City is way different from GTA3. Yes, at core they are the same, but more is there and just "a few tweaks".

-- The abilty to buy property was a major aspect of the game
    -- The ability to drive Motorcycles and fly helicopters was big
    -- The addition of real-life 80s music to add to the atmosphere was something unique
    -- The idea that your character was more involved in the story rather than just being a muscle was a major thing.
    There is more but I don't feel like listing them.

Then we get into San Andreas, the additions there are just too much to talk about. IGN gave it a 9.9 and GS gave it a 9.6 so thats enough to say right there.

And no you just didn't say that LCS is just a GTA3 port. Clarify yourself, just because it takes place in Liberty City? The last time I checked, you can do more in LCS than you can do in GTA3. I wouldn't call that a port.

I don't know what your view on GTA is. But your statements represents a whole base of gamers who has a fixated hate against the GTA games because they are so highly liked by casual gamers and they are really out of the norm.

San Andreas is just as much as a sequel to Vice City as BF2 is to BF1, KOTOR 2 is to KOTOR and whatnot. And I bet that you hold BF2 and KOTOR2 as good/great games in your mind.

And if GTA hasn't done anything new in years. Then why is it that so many developers are trying so hard to come up with the next GTA Killer? Obviously people sees what Rockstar is doing and how succesful they are at it and now they want a piece of the pie.

15. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I've played all three of the major GTA games. I'm not counting the first two because they were entirely different styles and definetly not the blockbuster success of the more recent 3D outings. I even own GTA3. Back when it first came out my roomates and I used to play it all the time. It was a lot of fun. But it did eventually get stale. Maybe I burned myself out on it. It was stale enought that when VC and SA came out I really didn't even care. It all comes down to a matter of personal preference. I'm a big RPG and adventure game fan and to me a game really needs a compelling story to really grab my interest nowadays. That's something GTA has never really done IMO, even SA.

As for my thoughts on BF2 and KOTOR2. I haven't played BF2 so can't judge it yet. I wasn't that impressed with BF so it may take some time. KOTOR2 had great potential but as I'm sure we've all heard before, the ending feel flat and really hurt it as a game.

If developers want to make a "GTA killer" thats fine, maybe we'll get some quality games out of it. But if they just end up making clones of the same game over and over again I can't see how that can be considered a good thing from anyones perspective.

16. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Well, I'm not going to knock you for having an opinion. Even though this is a Rockstar Games Appreciation thread, aka "Lets suck up to Rockstar thread lol. Its always good to have a difference of opinion and I don't mind you coming in and....speaking out against GTA or Rockstar in any perspective. I do know where you are coming from because I myself is a huge RPG nut and I love the story/character aspect of games more than the graphics/online multiplayer aspects of games. Which is why I cheerish KOTOR/KOTOR 2 over BF/BF2.

Its just that I think its funny how people say Vice City is the same as GTA3 and San Andreas is the same as Vice City. Like I said before, at core they are the same. You're some anti-hero who has the ability to shot cops, pick up hookers, and drive crazy while you run over people. That is true in all games. However that does not make them all the same. Play San Andreas, and then play GTA3 and you'll see the difference.

Its like saying Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition is the same as Midnight Club 1, with just only a few tiny tweaks here and there.

17. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    I have never found a Rockstar made game worth buying.

[face_plain]

18. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Why is that? Not that I'm saying your wrong because you have the right to express that opinion. But what is it about Rockstar titles that you don't like?

19. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    Well, I played a bit of GTA III and got bored with it. Same with Vice City. San Andreas made me not even care to try it.

Yeah stealing cars and driving around was fun for a while, but it got old really quick. I think the original GTA III I played an hour, maybe less, before I said "what's the point?"

Vice City... the only thing new about it that I could tell were the motorcycles.

San Andreas... more of the same. yawn.

I dunno. Maybe the fact that Rockstar's games all seem to center around making morally abhorrent things to do in the real world "fun" in virtual reality.

Edit: Oh yeah I forgot. I remember playing in both GTA III and Vice City about 3 missions that were the exact same from both games. Then I watched a friend play San Andreas and the same three missions popped up. I have read in this thread that there is lots of innovation between the three versions of GTA. I don't see it. It's the same engine, same premise, and even the same missions. Only thing that seems to change is the location and the vehicles. Definitely not worth my plunking 50 bucks down for each game
    [face_plain]

20. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Rockstar are awesome because they are Scottish - nuff said.

I remember the guys from Rockstar before Rockstar existed. They worked for DMA Design Games, and produce some amazing 16bit classics including Menace and BloodMoney. The original GTA was made under the DMA Design Games banner, before Rockstar was formed.

Do yourself a favour, download an emulator and play some of these 16bit classics and see that even on these limited platforms that these guys could produce games with depth and outstanding visuals.

21. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Fair enough, but you said that you aren't into Rockstar Games, all you mentioned there was just GTA3, Vice City, and San Andreas. What about the Midnight Club series? The Warriors? The Max Payne Series? Oni? State of Emergency? The Smugglers Run series? Manhunt? What about those games? You failed to mention why you don't like those. You just mentioned the GTA games.

You also say that nothing changes between the GTA games and they're all the same. But look at this list that I made. It shows the things that you can do in San Andreas but can't do in Vice City or GTA3

-- Ability to Swim
    -- Ability to hold dual weapons
    -- Ability to customize your character (Hair styles, body type, body art, clothes etc.)
    -- Ability to customize your cars
    -- Ability to recruit gang members
    -- Ability to have a GF (This was a funny one to me)
    -- Mini-Games such as Gambling, playing pool, playing arcades etc.
    -- The jump from just having 1 city like VC and GTA to having 3 Large Cities with smaller towns in between, hence giving you a larger area and world to explore.
    -- Ability to fly planes (In VC you could just fly Helicopters)
    -- Ability to use the airports
    -- RPG style character development such as shooting skill, flying skill, driving skill, swimming skill etc.
    -- Ability to learn better and new melee combat moves
    -- Ability to Parachute (Not that big but it did add to the fun depth department)
    -- Ability to ride bikes
    -- Better aiming system
    -- Better melee system
    -- In addition of multiplayer (Not as deep as LCS, but it was a start and is something that wasn't in VC or GTA3)

You call that not much has changed?

22. NewWorldOrder

Jul 20, 2005
    How can you not like GTA?[face_plain]
    oh well.
    peace

23. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...eh, honestly i can understand the abhorrent behaviour argument..

The GTA series and games like Manhunt really do push the boundaries of taste..

But that's Rockstar.. Their extreme in pretty much everything they do.

As far as GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas being the same game...

Well, at the core, i suppose that's true. I don't think it's a coincidence that Vice City wasn't called GTA4. All 3 games possess the same basic gameplay mechanics, and why not? They ushered in the last great gaming revolution with GTA3. You're not gonna reinvent the wheel every single time you're out, especially when you have something that works so spectacularly well.

No, what Rockstar instead focused on was changing the setting of the games.. I can understand that not everyone is going to appreciate that, but the reason that Vice City is my favourite game in the series is because of the 1980's/SCARFACE setting. That really interested me, and being able to drive around listening to 80's tunes is the bee's knees..

Conversely, the reason that i still haven't been able to put much time into San Andreas is because of it's early 90's setting.... That doesn't interest me anywhere near as much, but i can definitely see it appealing to a boatload of other people (as displayed by San Andreas' insane popularity). ONE of these days, when i have some time, i'm gonna sit down and really put some time into the game because there REALLY is alot of depth, there..

24. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002

awwwwwwwwwww. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll find someone for you out there.

25. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    ....Read my profile, I already have one. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.