main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Roger Goodell Sucks! The Bill Simmons Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Jul 22, 2015.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Loved the commentary on Serena & Tim Duncan (even with the dig at Kobe) last night, but the Rodgers interview not so much (FF'ed through some of it)... too long, and Rodgers could have been a lot more engaging.

2. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    you shut your mouth about king in the north

3. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
  4. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    He's terrible on TV... much better writer, talent evaluator / incubator, and producer.

DarthTunick likes this.
  6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Plus, I found the choice of airing it on HBO to be very odd. Limited the audience from the get-go. Significantly limited the audience. And, yeah, Simmons sucks on TV, for the most part. Maybe he can write more. His last two pieces on The Ringer have been fantastic.

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Chris Collinsworth burning (and then deleting the burn) Simmons on Twitter:

[​IMG]

8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    lol. Perfect though.

9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Grantland would never have published a video with so much Prequel Love. The Ringer is a hollow substitute.

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Dammit, there went my evening...

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Pretty excited for this one: Simmons and HBO to produce an Andre the Giant documentary.

Given Simmons' work on the 30 for 30 series, this is probably the best way HBO can use his talent to create video-consumable content. The man should be doing mailbags (non-NFL, please), podcasts, Boston Sports Fan-Fiction, and producing sports and sports-related documentaries. The man should not be hosting a TV show.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Simmons and The Ringer are on the move, heading to Vox Media (perhaps best known for their SB Nation platform).

Simmons claims the Ringer was profitable in their first year. Almost unheard of for a website, but he's got such a loyal fan base and can ride the Anti-ESPN sentiment. Plus, investment from HBO/Time Warner, and some key sponsorship deals.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I've never seen an Air Bud movie, but this might be the greatest article the Ringer has ever published. I would not be opposed to it winning a Pulitzer Prize, especially when it has great investigative journalism, asking such amazing thought- and laughter-provoking questions as

• Why don’t opponents prompt Buddy to false start by pretending to throw a ball they aren’t even holding?
    • I hate to question an injured athlete, let alone two-time Olympic gold medalist Briana Scurry, one of the greatest players in the history of her position. But she doesn’t look that injured. Wouldn’t it take a horrific injury to cause her to sub out of the penalty shootout in a World Cup final?
    • How was Scurry even eligible to be subbed? Did the U.S. coach go 120 minutes of game time without using all of his subs in a World Cup final? He should be fired.
    • But there is also a bigger problem: Buddy would die if he tried to catch a hard-thrown baseball with his mouth. His snout and skull would shatter. There is a reason we lightly toss tennis balls to our dogs instead of gunning fastballs at their faces.

Just amazing. Grantland level quality.

Point Given likes this.
  16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Shea Serrano's basketball ball book making President Obama's 2017 must read list is the best thing to ever happen to the Ringer. And his reaction on Twitter is pretty fantastic.

(I would embed his self reply, which is better, but it contains a naughty word)

DarthTunick and dp4m like this.
  17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Last night I watch HBO's Courtside which is "an unscripted one-hour special chronicling the sights and sounds of the 2018 NBA Finals. Courtside at the NBA Finals will give viewers an inside look at the NBA’s championship series, as the Cleveland Cavaliers and Golden State Warriors compete on basketball's biggest stage" and Bill Simmons provides a wonderful narrative and behind the scenes look at the 2018 NBA Finals. I mean, right before game one, he made an off hand comment on the keys to game one was to hold LeBron under 50 points and before game four starts asking people about the rumors about LeBron's broken hand. He has a few special guests that he interviews during the Finals. I like how Simmons noted that he wouldn't have mind having beer spill on his head in Cleveland as it would remind him of the games he watch in Boston. Some of the footage looks like something NFL Films would produce. Just more quality work from Simmons.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  19. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    So Bill Simmons is joining Kobe, KG and Kevin Harlan as announcers for the NBA 2K19 video game.

20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

2k plz allow us to disable phil simmons commentary via microtransaction

Guidman likes this.
  21. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Will he get pissed if he doesn't get to speak for 10 minutes?

heels1785 likes this.
  22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    57 red sox references during a nuggets-clippers game, surely

DarthIntegral, tom and Guidman like this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Swingers references during Clippers games...

Guidman likes this.
  24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I love Shea Serrano. Just learned the other day that he's a fellow #TwinDad. Made me love him even more.

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Mark Titus is leaving the Ringer, no word on where or what he is going to do next. He's not the best, most insightful, or funniest contributor at The Ringer, but he has had some fantastic pieces for both Grantland and the Ringer, and his podcasts have been tremendous.