main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V Rogue One #1-6 (Comic Book Adaptation) (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by starocean90, Jan 12, 2017.

1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Cover and synopsis for issue #4
    http://www.newsarama.com/34087-marvel-comics-full-july-2017-solicitations.html
    [​IMG]

• Jyn Erso brings the news of the Death Star plans to the Rebellion…
    • It seems her father built a way for the superweapon to be destroyed!
    • But when the Rebellion refuses to help, Jyn is left only with a small crew of soldiers to fight.
    • The Star Wars story continues!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. onqun

onqun Jedi Knight

Apr 7, 2016
    I hope we can see more of Vader's Castle[face_batting]

La Calavera, Vialco and spicer like this.
  3. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I still do not really buy it was done on purpose with this Galen character to make a thermal exhaust port the key to destroying the DS, its quite pretensious. I think he would worked better as an actual quasi-villain and she went to stop her dad. In ANH it was a design flaw, like an oversight on an early model weapon/vehicle. The type of weakness its hard to see how Galen would sabotage the DS by making it a shot barely anyone in the galaxy can make(maybe Jedi any Jedi starfighter pilot could so one wonders how long the DS would've lasted in the TCW). As a pilot, you really needed to be experienced and talented but more so you'd still need really sophisticated weapons and targeting systems for it.

The thermal exhaust port was even intensionally well protected and the actual target was only like 6 feet wide making it very very small to hit as noted by some of the fighter pilots. The port also could only be targeted from very limited range in battle conditions, from inside the trench - that was heavily defended by anti-aircraft cannons. The Empire had clearly considered the possibility of attacking the exhaust port, cept the damn weapons failed at their job for pretty much the same reasons the bad guys always do, they can barely hit their targets on film and the good guys always have to win. But the idea remains the same, it did not appear like a intended weakness, or sabotage. Also the trench was very very deadly to fighters, cause the small quarters where ships can easily crash and the AA guns, and the still the target was extremely difficult to near impossible to do, and its only done by a magical shot via a magical person named Luke. So despite all the tech, the pilots really stood no chance and the "flaw" was not something just any pilot could do. I don't really feel that the Erso's story needed to be told in the way they portrayed it.

Shadow Trooper likes this.
  4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Yes, it wasn't necessary.

But it doesn't work terribly bad either.

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The thermal exhaust port was not the flaw Galen planted. What he planted was the flaw in the reactor module which would affect the entire system.

He didn't plant a specific means of accessing the module, which is why he had them get the plans on Scarif. It was the Alliance (Dodonna, presumably) that identified the exhaust port as a means of getting at the module.

darthcaedus1138 and Jedi Ben like this.
  6. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    They key was always the exhaust port(which was not a direct intensional structural or even an easy or undefended weakness or design flaw) as it lead directly to the reactor:

General Dodonna: The battle station is heavily shielded and carries a firepower greater than half the star fleet. Its defenses are designed around a direct, large-scale assault. A small one-man fighter should be able to penetrate the outer defense.
    Gold Leader: Pardon me for asking, sir, but what good are snub fighters going to be against that?
    General Dodonna: Well, the Empire doesn't consider a small one-man fighter to be any threat, or they'd have a tighter defense. An analysis of the plans provided by Princess Leia has demonstrated a weakness in the battle station. But the approach will not be easy. You are required to maneuver straight down this trench and skim the surface to this point. The target area is only two meters wide. It's a small thermal exhaust port, right below the main port. The shaft leads directly to the reactor system. A precise hit will start a chain reaction which should destroy the station. Only a precise hit will set off a chain reaction. The shaft is ray-shielded, so you'll have to use proton torpedoes.
    Wedge Antilles (Red 2): That's impossible! Even for a computer.
    Luke: It's not impossible. I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters.
    General Dodonna: Then man your ships. And may the Force be with you.

In fact if the rebels could not get or spent their entire payload of proton torpedos, they would'nt of been able to penetrate the ray shields,lol. Not so sure about Mr Galen.[face_coffee]

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The novelization had a set of memos between Galen, his immediate superior, and Krennic - which finished with Krennic signing off on the addition of thermal exhaust ports in a particular location - in order that the Death Star be completed on-time.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I haven't read the novelization yet but from the film it seemed that Galen intended them to access the reactor more directly- like with a saboteur or commando team (or a bloodier direct large-scale assault), thus the need to have the plans so they'd know how to get to it/where it was.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    There was a fanfiction joke that Galen Erso actually designed a self-destruct program into the main computer which would allow the Death Star to be evacuated with no casualties but consume the station and all war material.

The Rebels didn't find it until after the war because they killed Galen before he could explain it to them.

:)

10. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Are they planning on releasing a TPB of this when it's all done? Don't see one for pre-order on Amazon.

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That's the sense I get too. Galen didn't anticipate the Empire bringing the Death Star online so quickly.

December

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-...UTF8&qid=1493058204&sr=1-3&keywords=star+wars

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    with the R1 novelizations mentioning the exhaust ports as a sort of last minute, last ditch addition, I'd wager Galen Erso did intend for a critical flaw in the reactor that would set off a chain reaction and the exhaust ports weren't his #1 solution but A solution in how to destroy it. Just a way to get to the reactor which would blow the whole thing apart. But he probably thought it would be more of a black ops / deep cover person setting it off. The exhaust ports are just the outside "well, this could work too" entry point.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it just comes down to "if he made the exhaust port flaw on purpose he would have said so instead of telling them to go to Scarif" factor.

However, I would fully believe that he made sure that there were several ways to potentially access the reactor module, such as the exhaust port, even though he probably didn't know exactly how someone might use them.

14. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  15. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    What in the world is the hold up with that?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    NO LIE IS SAFE!!

17. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    Weaver said he'd finished the last three issues in 2014. Hickman said in March 2017 he'd finished writing them. Which...is a weird timeline. Weaver has shown pages from his final SHIELD issues so...maybe they're done?

Weaver is free of Marvel and doing creator owned:

http://dustinweaver.blogspot.com/2017/03/entry-295-paklis-1.html#more[​IMG]

son_of_skywalker03 and Jedi Ben like this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh! Thanks for the tip-off on that Patch, will have to look out for the trade.

patchworkz7 likes this.
  19. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    Well dammit, I need those issues!

patchworkz7 and Jedi Ben like this.
  20. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Really Cassian? "He's just gone missing"? He wouldn't be missing cuz you shot him in the back on the Ring of Kefrene, would he?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    I'm sure he has no idea what you're talking about.

22. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

This line was actually in the movie too, but I don't think I picked up on the connotation of who he was talking about until the second or third time I watched the movie. And then I was like "...oh."

Vialco and Jedi Princess like this.
  23. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Haha, yeah I know, this is just the first chance I've had to make the joke here. :p Whispered it to my friend on our second viewing.

BigAl6ft6 and Revanfan1 like this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Damn, I never made that character connection. That's cold, Cassian.

JediBatman, Vialco and Jedi Princess like this.
  25. Manny Bothans

Manny Bothans Jedi Master star 1

Jun 12, 2013
    So what do you think is "more canon", the Rogue Once comic version of how Saw abandoned Jyn or the YA novel by Beth Revis's vastly different version of the same events?