main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V Rogue One #1-6 (Comic Book Adaptation) (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by starocean90, Jan 12, 2017.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Sidious accelerated the collapse of the Republic but I don't quite believe that the Republic actually works, as Anakin mentions, they spend a lot of time bickering and nothing gets done. Same with the Rebel Council, same with the New Republic. All 3 situations it takes a strong move of someone outside the system, Sidious, Jyn and Cassian, and General Organa, to get things moving from the Republic senatorial stalemate. (Yes, I know I just compared Sidious to Jyn and Leia but kinda roll with it. he DID get things done, wicked and evil they may be.)

There hasn't been much pre-Naboo Crisis content in canon yet but I'm pretty sure that Legends had a whole lot of Old Republic in crisis stuff that didn't have Sidious pulling the strings.

2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    The Republic didn't work because a Sith Lord was encouraging corruption at ever turn and was using his proxies to create tension and crises all over the Galaxy. How can you expect a government to work when it's top leader wants it to fail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi Princess and revan772 like this.
  3. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Palpatine's just one man, although admittedly a very powerful one. He was only able to do what he did because countless people went along with his lies. Yes, Jar Jar proposed giving Palpatine emergency powers, but it was the countless other senators who approved this motion. It was all these Senators who cheered him on in ROTS when he declared himself Emperor--as Padme said, "This is how liberty dies, to thunderous applause."

I am guessing this is one of the lessons that Lucas put into his prequel movies, that these dictatorships and loss of democracy happen because large amounts of people willfully enable them to happen. It's an important lesson in the real world, not just Star Wars, in my opinion.

SilentGuy66, Daneira and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Vialco likes this.
  5. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Rogue One #5 preview
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    #5 had an interesting place to stop the action, right as Raddius and company leave to join the fight and a bit extra with K2 and the Imperial droid he grabbed the data from. Oh and did anyone else's copy of #5 had on the "NEXT ISSUE" page just a picture of issue #5 cover again or is mine super-rare?

7. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    Seems to be normal.

I liked the extra scenes, they do a very good job at expanding the movie, not like a different comic adaptation we got in the past. The only thing i didn't like is that the AT-ACTs don't have their orange markings.

8. Chris Werms

Chris Werms Jedi Padawan

Aug 2, 2017
    This post includes thoughts on Cassian and K-2SO, so the spoilers are for both this series and the one-shot.

One of my favorite aspects of the series, so far, is the relationship between Kaytoo and Bodhi. I absolutely loved Bodhi in the film, despite how little screen time he's gotten. It seems like Houser is very perceptible to that fact, seeing as a lot of the new content features him heavily. That's been a huge plus in my mind. The Bor Gullet scene was beautiful, but I think K-2 has brought out a lot of what I liked in him. I love the idea that Kaytoo thinks they were both reprogrammed to rebel against the Empire. There's definitely a lot to unpack there.

The interesting thing, then, would be to see a bit more of Kaytoo at the beginning of his stint in the Rebellion. I'm really bummed that Cassian and K-2SO was a one-shot. Lots of interesting ideas presented there, especially as Kaytoo is aware of his ability to "choose" things. It is too bad the one-shot couldn't have come out before the adaptation, otherwise this series would have a lot more to work with.

Rogue One is a good middle ground toward what I want from an adaptation. The Force Awakens was rushed, didn't have the heart of the film, and added maybe two new panels to the overall story. It was, more or less, a pictorial representation of the movie. It didn't flesh much out, nor did it do much to integrate other material. On the other hand, Rogue One is doing well by adding scenes which could be seen as a sort of deleted scene. I hope adaptations like The Last Jedi or Hanthology take one more step, and benefit from the pre-release material. I would love for something from, say, Bloodline or Princess of Alderaan to inform The Last Jedi's comic or something from the pre-Hanthology movie to show up in the comic. Beware the Power of the Dark Side! did a good job of integrating TCW and Rebels material into Return of the Jedi, but it also has about 34 years of history to do so. With the Story Group, I think it would be pretty easy to integrate a bit more and fully flesh out the movie.

All in all, this comic is a good step forward in terms of adaptations. It gives me hope for Thrawn, even though I will only pick it up because I buy everything anyway.

9. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    You're probably right, but it did seem as if every pre-Naboo story had a Sidious-did-it scene to adequately tie the book or comic to Episode One.

Darth_Duck likes this.
  10. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
  11. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    Well, it was ok. I don't think there was new stuff.

revan772 likes this.
  12. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    After being a very good adaptation, the last issue of the Rogue One comic was a paint-by-the-numbers disappointment with nothing new. The art wasn't strong, especially on the space battle which gave no sense of the scope of the battle. Disappointing final issue although I did love what they did on the very last page.

13. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009
    I enjoyed the adaptation quite a bit. My only concern is with the low sales, this might be the last Star Wars movie adaptation we'll see as singles. I miss having the comics released simultaneously (or just before) the movie, but I understand completely in this Internet age why they do not. I do wish they would release them within a month of the movie though. Part of the nostalgia for me is seeing stuff in these comics that didn't make the movie.

I remember having Marvel Super Special #27 with me when I went to see ROTJ at the theater.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I thought it was neat, nothing new added really although it was fun to see how it worked as a comic (like the destruction of the Star Destroyer is on the same page and Jyn's confrontation with Krennic). I wish Vader's bit had been more than 1 page, though

I will say what WAS added at the end was after Leia jumps to hyperspace there's 2 panels of Vader's ship which was odd and didn't feel like it needed to be there. however the final page being the ANH crawl was pretty ingenious.

15. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Did we at least get a comic rendition of the famous Vader hallways scene?

16. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    What the comics have that the movie didn't?

Shadowrain10 likes this.
  17. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I thought that the adaptation was actually very well done, at least it was better than the TFA comic which added nothing new except for adding the scene with Phasma getting thrown down the Trash Compactor.

18. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Here's the preview for the IDW adaptation.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Art looks nice, but I️ don’t see why another Rogue One comic needs to exist. Probably won’t pick this up unless there’s new scenes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    They did the same for TFA if I remember correctly.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, pass. I'm calling the Marvel one is more canon than the IDW one. Just cuz.

22. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Been rereading these and I noticed that in Issue 2 in the panel where Saw is arguing with Bail in what looks like the command centre on Yavin, there is little Leia behind Bail.

This is in contradiction with what we learned in the Leia: Princess of Alderaan novel, where Leia's parents where protecting and shielding Leia from all the Rebellion stuff. Can't imagine Bail actually taking little Leia to "work" with him.

Also if this is Yavin, when exactly was this base established? Guess we can explain it by saying its a completely different base and that Rebels (at this point its not even the Rebel Alliance yet) were always building their command centres to look the same, but it is pretty obvious the artist was just drawing the Yavin HQ.

23. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    To appeal to the kids who are reading Star Wars Adventures.