main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Rogue One: A Star Wars Story: Rebel Alliance Field Manual

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    In the style of classic Army War manuals from the Second World War, the Field Manual of the Rebel Alliance is the first tool of its kind for the rebel soldiers in all of us. It includes all-new illustrations and detailed analyzes of soil and air combat strategies that rely on a 30-year franchise history full of battles.

Make your way to the Field Manual of the Rebel Alliance, a battle-hardened companion book to Star Wars: Rogue One , to the front lines in the fight against the Empire. In the style of classic army field manuals with graphic diagrams from the Second World War, the Field Manual of the Rebel Alliance is an equally reliable tool for rebel soldiers as their own blaster rifle. It was written that there are already existing elements of Star Wars Universe but also the grim infantry atmosphere of Rogue One captures. The Field Manual of Rebel Alliance is no preview of the film Rogue One , but rather a master of it.

Contains: detailed strategy analysis for ground and air combat, with reference to past conflicts from the Star Wars universe of Episodes I-III, The Clone Wars and Rebels ; annotated dossiers on enemy soldiers, from the stormtroopers to Darth Vader, including battle tactics and fully developed withdrawal scenarios; Droid Protocol: a step-by-step instructions for dealing with your robotic allies, plus: How to withstand interrogation by a Interrogation Droid; Code key, if you have to send a message, but has no encryption program at hand; the Code of Conduct of the Alliance: the ethics and guidelines that differ between the Rebel Alliance and the Empire, and why you fight for them; Diagrams, maps and visualizations that will benefit every soldier who fights against the Empire.

https://jedi-bibliothek.de/blog/2016/06/neues-rogue-one-sachbuch-zur-rebellenallianz/

My wallet is seriously going to be hurting in the fall. :(

2. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    This sounds really cool, and could give a lot of insight into the military side of the universe. I don't typically buy the reference type books anymore, but this one looks tempting.

ChefCurryWindu likes this.
  3. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    As I'm a big fan of military history, this is something I'll buy when released. Look forward to reading all the references from the prequels and clone Wars era.

I wonder what the rebel report on Darth Vader reads lol.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

4. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    So is this gonna be like a cannon version of path of the jedi or is it going to be in the style of the essential guide to warfare?

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  6. chris1982

chris1982 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2015
    Jedi Bibliothek is reporting it's been cancelled/delayed. Amazon cancelled my preorder too. :(

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    New marketing strategy: announce random title on Amazon. See how many preorders you get in a day. Take title down and decide if it's worth publishing.

Soon they'll discover Kickstarter. "Give Book Project X $30 and you get the first chapter free!" Amazon: I already do that. Shut up Amazon.

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Possibly unpopular opinion: I'm kind of over these IU field guides. Jedi Path was a neat idea but the premise has run its course I think.

I mean, the lore and worldbuilding are cool to the extent they're still able to do it, but this feels like a tortured way to do it when Visual Guides and Cross-Sections are on the table. I'd rather just read those than something that bends over backwards to teach me how to rebel or whatever.

9. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    Aw, I hope it's not canceled! I really liked The Jedi Path and a Rebel manual was the only other thing I really wanted, besides a sort of pilot's manual.

I also hope that it is similar to the Jedi's Path book, because that was a joy to read.

10. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Until they release Fleet Tactics and Combat Methodology by Admiral Ackbar, I'm not gonna get to worked up. :p

--Adm. Nick

11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Chapters 1-15: How to Tell When Something is a Trap

Chapter 16: Moisturizing in the Heat of Battle

smisk, BigAl6ft6, Darth_Garak and 8 others like this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't think the premise is necessarily bad, I just don't know that they've been very good since the original one. The Jedi Path one is the only one I actually like (out of the three I've read anyway -- haven't read the Bounty Hunter one because I don't need that scum).

The Book of Sith tried too hard to be a TWC/SWTOR tie-in (playing for audience relevance?) and the Imperial one had nothing of interest in it, because it just recapped material we'd already seen. The Jedi Path was the only one that felt truly original.

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I think the EGs handled this right--they had the benefits of an IU POV but didn't try too hard to be a plausible IU document.

Gorefiend likes this.
  14. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    So in summary we all just want the Essential Guides back. ;)

15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Bounty Hunter one was the other really good one. It and Jedi Path were both fantastic, and they validate that this is a great format if the execution is there. There's a certain magic to the IU document conceit that really pays off when you play with it right. It's just that the Sith and Imperial ones didn't get the execution right.

Revanfan1, LelalMekha and blackmyron like this.
  16. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    The original Jedi Path book was the best, and also felt the most natural- a handbook passed down from teacher to student. Well, except for when Palpatine got it and then it was found near Byss then Luke got it? But yeah, that was great.

The Sith book was literally a mishmash of different writings from random darkside figures. Of course, a Sith handbook also isn't very natural, since Sith are all about surviving of the fittest and treachery. Bounty Hunter wasn't interesting to me, and the Imperial handbook felt like they were trying to shoehorn in too much stuff, especially for a supposedly normal handbook (as fleet junkie fans its fun to see references to dreadnoughts, but it really shouldn't be referenced there). These kinds of books have just kind of run their course as is.

Funny, something like this sounds like it would tie in well with Twilight Company (one of the better NEU novels), except that that's just a random novel, whereas Rogue One is the big upcoming movie, that's also the first non-Episode Star Wars movie ever (not counting that TCW theatrical release, which I actually didn't hate), so of course that's higher profile. Whether this book is published or not, I wonder how many reference books we'll get for Rogue One actually- Making Of, Art of, Cross-sections? Probably a Visual Guide at least. "This is the Death Star. It is big. It destroys planets." Well, probably a few EU details too.