main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Rogue One and George Lucas' "The Star Wars" 1st draft

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by BigAl6ft6, Jan 5, 2017.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    There was George Lucas' "The Star Wars" original draft, which was adapted by Dark Horse Comics into a pretty comprehensive version of it. Some of this may have popped for other viewers where elements of Lucas' 1st draft showed up in Rogue One. I'm sorta spaced on what the names of the characters in "The Star Wars" were but I definitely saw some similarities in events.

The original draft of "The Star Wars" opens with a family hiding out and they're descended upon from a spaceship by the bad guy, who kills one of the family members. In "The Star Wars" it's a Force family and one of the kids dies. In "Rouge One" Jyn's mother dies, Jyn escapes, Galen is taken away.

"The Star Wars" the saying went "May the Force of Others Be With You" which is Chirut's first line, that's straight from "The Star Wars".

I believe the Whills were first mentioned in "The Star Wars" draft, and while they have been kicking around Star Wars stuff for awhile this is the first time they get a shout-out in a feature.

Saw has a Darth Vader half-man, half machine thing going on, also a father figure. But this goes way back to "The Star Wars" where the main character's father was half-man, half-machine, barely holding together with a life support suit. while Vader in ANH design eventually shifted from "life-support system" to "menacing armor" (and eventually back again), the initial idea in "The Star Wars" is the father is barely holding together from his bits of human and technology, which obviously eventually became Darth Vader but it's pretty prominent in Saw. Like Saw, the half-man/half-machine father in "the Star Wars" I think also dies about halfway through.

Dunno if I missed anything else but I definitely saw some of The Star Wars in Rogue One.

2. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    I think this is probably coincidental, but the scene with the seer character in the 2nd draft shares some similarities with the scene in which Chirrut is introduced.

"As the trio exit the speeder, an ancient human shrouded in gray robes, sitting near the entrance to the cantina calls out to them. The man appears to be a blind beggar.

SEER
    Come to me and the truth shall be known.

Luke reluctantly approaches the old man.

SEER (CONT’D)
    I’ve seen what is to be. I can tell you what you need to know…

Luke drops several coins in the man’s open palm.

LUKE
    Can you tell me where I might find transport to Ogana Major?

SEER
    Your fate is clouded…but the will of the force has set your path. The man you seek you’ll find inside; the one who needs you, you’ll find in time.
    SEER (CONT’D)
    Fear not, for the “son of the suns” will free us all. Take care for the Bogan is heavy upon this system. May the FORCE OF OTHERS be with you."

http://starwarz.com/starkiller/adventures-of-the-starkiller-second-draft/

CHIRRUT
    May the Force of others be with you.

Would you trade that necklace
    for a glimpse into your future?

Yes, I'm speaking to you.

I am Chirrut Imwe.

JYN
    How did you know
    I was wearing a necklace?

CHIRRUT
    For that answer you must pay.

What do you know of kyber crystals?

JYN
    My father, he said they powered
    the Jedi lightsabers.

CASSIAN
    Jyn.
    Come on, let's go.

CHIRRUT
    The strongest stars have hearts of kyber.

Some of the dialogue also makes the Order of the Whills' position as Seers a little clearer.

“… And in the time of greatest
    despair there shall come a savior,
    and he shall be known as: THE SON
    OF THE SUNS.”
    Journal of the Whills, 3:127

COMMANDER
    “The son of the suns!” The last of the Starkiller line, whom the seer’s have said would bring down the Empire.