main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rogue One and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Little_Boots, Jan 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Little_Boots

Little_Boots Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    Could it be possible to have hints about Force Awakens in the new Rogue One film at Christmas? Or will we expect a teaser for Episode 8

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Tapatalk

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Umm... can you clarify your question a bit? Not even sure this belongs in this particular forum, but a little more to go on would be great.

Little_Boots and JediLight like this.
  3. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I've wondered a little bit about whether the anthology films will be just as much about retconning some backstory for the ST as about telling self contained stories in the OT era. I'm still at a loss as to how Rogue One can be marketed - I feel like it'll be like when South Park resolves cliff hanger episodes with a Terrence and Philip special - it might be entertaining and different, but it's not what people want to see at that point.

Little_Boots likes this.
  4. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I still say the Knights of Ren are the guys in the picture from Rogue One. So they become these warriors/mercenaries at one point. :p

5. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I'm utterly confused.

Is it possible to make peanut butter and jelly without the peanut butter?

Heroic BB-8, jaqen and AmySolo like this.
  6. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  7. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Hmmm, shouldn't this be in the "Anthology" forums?

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

8. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    I'm hoping that Rey's mom is in the movie.

9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Oh, you don't need hints about The Force Awakens in Rogue One!
    You see - The Force Awakens has already been released! You can catch it in theatres right now! Have fun! :D

OK, seriously - yeah, I think it's possible that there will be some foreshadowing for the events in TFA in R1. Could be that the Empire were investigating the possibilities of Starkiller Base all the way back when they first built the Death Star, and that one of our heroes stumble upon these plans, but is killed before s/he can tell anyone about it.

nightangel, EHT and Little_Boots like this.
  10. Little_Boots

Little_Boots Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    I dunno where this should be so I just made a post. If people wanna move it be my guest.

It's just the force awakens is huge now and Rogue One seems to me. Like an EU film, aiming at HARDCOREFANS! I personally am more interested in the film series with the Skywalkers, ya know NH etc....

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Tapatalk

11. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Well, Little_Boots, with regards to Rogue One, it will definitely get attention in China - thanks to the presence of the two local big names as part of the main cast (Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen)... Still, this is an unknown quantity as we don't know of the plot yet, other than about this group of rebels planning to steal the Death Star blueprints.

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

12. Barryharley89

Barryharley89 Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2015
    I get the impression @Little_Boots created the thread to discuss whether Rogue One will connect to/expand on TFA in any way and whether it will answer any of the many mysteries left by TFA?

I have a few thoughts on the topic.. I doubt it considering Kathleen Kennedy had said the anthology films are completely separate to the main trilogy. Though who knows; maybe she wasn't being entirely honest.

If it were to expand on TFA I see two possibilities, though both of these seem unlikely to me...

1 - Lor San Tekka: He's mentioned in TFA as an "old ally", maybe he helped with obtaining the death star plans, and that's how he becomes known to the alliance?

2- Felicity Jones: Could she be playing Rey's mother? It'd certainly be a good likeness in terms of looks. If Rey is Lukes daughter and assuming Felicity's character survives the movie and she is/becomes a pilot in the alliance it's more likely than not that at some point she meets Luke.

nightangel likes this.
  13. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, despite the lack of an answer to my question ( :p ), I think I now see what the angle here is... basically, could we see hints in Rogue One of what's to come later chronologically in TFA. Given that, I guess we can leave it here in the TFA forum for now; it might make more sense here than in the Anthology forum.

I doubt we'll see much, though... we'll obviously see a lot more that leads into the OT. But I like the Starkiller Base idea that TigerCraneFist mentioned.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  14. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012

Probably not a teaser for Episode 8, but as far as the actual movie itself, I REALLY think it'd make sense to have characters in this movie somewhat related to characters in Force Awakens, like Hux's father/ grandfather, Poe's parents, or maybe Felicity Jones' character can be related to Rey.

15. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Updated the thread title a bit.

16. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    I would love it if the Anthology essentially served as a "prequel trilogy" for the ST. Maz, Lor San Tekka, Snoke — all could be present.

But from things the Rogue One filmmakers have said, it sounds more like they want to make a movie that does not speak to the Skywalker saga.

So, while it would be nice, it doesn't sound like we should get our hopes up. I'm expecting a "Tales from the Rebel Base," filling in corners that are essentially pointless as far as the overall saga goes. I very seriously doubt that we're going to see anything about Rey's parents or the Knights of Ren, for instance. There apparently isn't even going to be a lightsaber battle. :(

17. CoruscantDweller

CoruscantDweller Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 28, 2015
    Doubtful the movie takes place right before ANH so really there is very little they can do in terms of expanding on TFA and considering the focus is on the soldiers who steal the plans I highly doubt we will get any sort of galactic scale info or any info on the force. Who knows though they might have reoccurring characters from this attack group that reappear as much older characters in VIII but still it is unlikely there will be any information regarding the ST in this film.

18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    If this is true, I'm gonna be highly disappointed. Why would you cast Donnie Yen in a Star Wars movie, and not let him fight with a lightsaber? [face_phbbbbt]

19. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Therefore he has a staff. Traitor also didn't need a lightsaber to rule. :p

Sarge and AmySolo like this.
  20. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Eh, We can see Donnie Yen fight with a staff in any movie. Only in Star Wars can we see him fight with a lightsaber.

Dameron likes this.
  21. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    I know, right? And yet if you express this line of thought on the Anthology forum, all these guys pop up that are like, "Ohh, I'm so glad we finally get a Star Wars movie without those Jedi running around! And those lightsaber battles; those were the worst! So glad they're getting rid of those."

It's like... what kind of sick, twisted alternate universe have I fallen into here?! In your home dimension, are you also hoping for the next Jurassic Park sequel to be all about labor unrest in the amber mine where they found the mosquito?

Revanfan1 and TigerCraneFist like this.
  22. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    To be fair, I don't mind a Star Wars film without Jedi (worked for the Ewok films, and I'm a big fan of those). It's just... why, oh, why cast Donnie Yen if you're not giving him a lightsaber? It's not as if he's an actor with a great range :p

Dameron likes this.
  23. Rancor Keeper

Rancor Keeper Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    To be honest, he has the most important range, about 6000 miles or so :D

But yeah, from a lore standpoint there should be no Jedi running around, so no lightsaber battle. I haven't explained that to my 6 year old superfan son yet, but I think he's not going to be happy.

I do hope they have a nice role for Max Von Sydow's character though, that would be a nice tie-in and not such a long stretch of the imagination

24. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I think they mean like how Rebels is doing it with Ezra finding a quillon lightsaber. Little hints like that that connect the films. I don't see them doing that for R1. Not much that would really need to connect to TFA with a movie about the rebels stealing the plans for the Death Star.

25. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Im Special Agent Johnson and this is agent Johnson....no relation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.