main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Rogue One Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by AmidalaLover, Dec 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    My SWCE involvement became a bit reduced since i got ill while in London. But i enjoyed my friday there and met some nice ( and crazy people).

Its true the R1 panel failed to hit the main headlines online. But they did not release a big new trailer for the broader audience either. And that might be the whole point of it all. Let it hit Youtube on a regular weekday, when people are not in vacation mood. This one was for the hardcore fans. The general audience have set their minds on other things, on a friday afternoon. Agree they will have to get down to business soon though, showing off some intergalactic cool action and further push the the new characters, as we do not really have any connection / attachement to most of them yet. I am not sold on Felicity Jones, seems a bit stiff to me, but, its still only based on teaser, behind the scenes footage. Everything looks solid though. Have to say, when general audience say they dont understand the context of this standalone film, it sure also points at big potential in my view. Look at it the other way: Its almost like people are "stupid" enough to believe everything, just as you have a clear mesage ( no offence to your mum Christopher Blair:)). But they NEED to create characters that people care for. Thats always the premise.

As we thought, we don`t live in 1984 anymore. Ghostbusters seems to tank. They are not allowed to open it in China either. So there you go Sony. Trouble. If you want to catch some good 80s vibe stuff, with a new angle on it, do watch Stranger Things on Netflix. Great stuff. As long as you are ok with seeing Winona Ryder playing a mum :). She is great though. I see Suicide Squad is tracking between $ 90 and 125 mill in US. Thats pretty good. And aren`t we all gonna see Star Trek? CĀ“mon, its not that many sci-fi blockbusters showing these days. I will go watch it. Its not Star Wars but....

When arriving on Celebration on friday, the entrance que was endless, but it went pretty fine. Just after getting my badge and looking for a snack, there was a kid pointing a gun at me, yeah, of course, it was little Boba. And because i am this person who typically worry a lot - and with the Nice terror in mind from the evening before - i really thought my last hour was come. Getting old ( er) is rough!

2. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    i mentioned this in the felicity jones thread last night, but some of the same complaints im hearing about rogue one i was hearing about TFA a year ago.

'wooden lead actress' 'bad dialogue' 'dont like the director' 'bad marketing'

3. yassir.khan

yassir.khan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2014
    So Ghostbusters had a baaaad OW. Apparently they're still gonna make a sequel. Haven't seen the film so will wait to judge whether I think that's the wrong call.

On a related note the absolutely vitriolic racist hate that Leslie Jones is getting is just so depressingly vile that I despair for humanity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    and yet box office mojo has gone off the delusional scale doing multiplier for what they percieve as the stars typical multipliers, thinking its gonna pull in 220 domestic lmao.......its total should probably end up somewhere around tarzan conjuring 2 and ID4-2

5. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Yep. I agree on that. But remember, we should also not compare anything related to R1 to TFA in my view. Its a whole new and different experience. It should only be judged by its own premises as a movie. Also worth remembering that TFA did raised the stakes a bit. Felicity Jones seems like a fine actress, and casting is pretty essential i think ( something JJ nailed totally), and the ensemble is the best i have seen for a Star Wars movie. I really hope my interest in the character Jones is playing will grow.

In terms of complaints ( which have indeed turned nasty in the case of Leslie Jones), we have been witnessing how social media opinions - and abuse - almost can tear a movie apart. Or maybe it was always more a consept than a movie. I mean, Ghostbusters. Does not exclude the fact it might be not the best movie made either ( audience reactions seems lukewarm). And of course, during the prequel period, we saw the first glimpse of that sort of backlash a movie can face. Now though, it usually starts getting nasty long before the movie opens.

yassir.khan likes this.
  6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Othini

I totally agree that comparing TFA & R1 is totally unfair and not warranted. It's apples and oranges. I also agree that Felicity is a strong actress so I am not too worried about her being "wooden" in the footage we seen so far. Let's face it. We haven't seen very much of it so far at all. The Star Wars Celebration video was more about the behind the scenes then showing off new footage.

But any nastiness before a movie that is unwarranted can be drown out by positive reactions IF it's warranted. TFA is a great example. When the project was first announced, there was a lot of rumblings about the following, "Do we even need another Star Wars film?". And then there was whole senior joke saga when it was announced that Harrison, Mark and Carrie were going to be in it. But then the footage started to roll out in the trailers and people's overall reactions were positive. Compare that to the Ghostbusters where people's initial thoughts were "huh". Kind of similar to TFA really but not as hostile IMHO. But then the trailers starting rolling out and people saw how it was a absolute ripoff a timeless classic and that is where the anger set in. Combine that with how crappy the trailers look, how poor Sony's marketing campaign was and frankly how competitive Sony got with any type of criticism led to it just being well, a river of slime (Ghostbusters 2 reference).

Othini

I agree some of the racist stuff on the internet is sickening. But I will say this. Much of the criticism of Jones and her performance is warranted. My buddy saw it over the weekend and said her performance was worst then it looked in the trailer. Leslie spent the entire movie screaming according to him and EVERYTHING was about race. Everything. In his opinion, the movie was literally about race and gender. It wasn't even about Ghostbusters and when it was, it was literally coping the original to a tee.

7. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    true but one thing I will give JJ and his crew is they know how to pick actors, rather you like the force awakens, or the new star treks films or not; they were cast really well. same with his other films such as super 8 (especially casting kids bc that is a tough thing to do) edwards on the other hand has a smaller sample size basically monsters and godzilla as far as casting and directing actors go. while I thought the male actor in monsters was good the female lead was terrible as was most of the cast for godzilla, and I fear that its not strictly bc they chose bad actors but bc of bad direction, I pray im wrong and Jones wins me over, she has not yet.

on a side not speaking of great casting of kids yall should check out stranger things, it is netflix newest show and it is awesome. the casting is perfect.

8. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    guys my comparison with TFA and R1 is simply this.........we were hearing the same stuff a year ago. i mean really the same complaints. people thought daisy was the worst actess ever. the marketing sucked. JJ Was terrible. just switch daisy with felicity and jj with gareth.

does it mean R1 will turn out like TFA did? no of course not.

but are we gonna hear the same garbage for episode 8 next year? sure i guess we wont be hearing about daisy again, but im sure Rian will be a target.

9. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    cant believe this but sony just green lit a sequel to ghostbusters

10. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015

they'd be better of doing a seqaual for the shallows given the low budget.

11. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    according to insiders ghostbusters break even point is 300 million even though it wont bomb aka make a 150 million or less WW. no way it gets to 300 maybe 250 WW, unless women come out in droves to see it to support melissa Mcarthy and leslie Jones.

12. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    if it doesnt make 300 million that will be an epic fail. even ID4-2 did that.

13. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    I disagree again that is a fail but not epic. BFG making 65 million so far ww many weeks after release on a budget of 140 is an epic fail

14. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    If studios want to continue making big tentpole blockbusters, they need to find ways to cut costs and make things cheaper. Inflation aside, it's astonishing to consider that none of the prequels cost Lucas more than $115 million to make.

15. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    again your spending 160 million dollars on a movie........and now your planning a sequal. so if your lucky you made back enough money to make that sequal. thats an epic fail.

if ghostbusters was just a stand alone 300 wouldnt be so bad, but again, we're talking about something your trying to build a sequal off of that drew little interest to begin with.

16. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

+1

JJ Abrams learn that with ST: ID. It barely made a profit even though worldwide speaking, it's the most profitable ST movie in history. But when you have a budget of $185 million for production, you are really need the movie to make $300 movie domestically to really get a strong profit. ST: ID barely made a profit when it was all said and done. The Ghostbusters budget was absolutely funny it was so insane. It cost only $6 million less to make then Jurassic World! Seriously how does that happen!?!?! The special effects were not that good at all from what I saw in the trailers and folks I spoke to who saw it.

Sony at this point is trying to put the best spin on it saying a sequel will be happening might push people who are the fence to see it knowing a sequel is already in the works. I personally do not feel a sequel will come out of this. If anything they will reboot AGAIN and put together a quasi sequel to Ghostbusters 89 and try to spin off of that.

17. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    just ridiculous. this ghostbusters isnt even gonna come close to hitting what ghostbuters 1984 unadjusted number is.

18. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013

Ghostbusters '16 worldwide gross won't even come close to GB '84's unadjusted domestic gross was.

Btw, what is the new ST movie tracking at this point? That could be a surprise of the summer. Perhaps people are still thinking "Abrams" even if he's not doing it and still feeling Abrams' success with TFA.

I don't think it will hit $200 million domestic but it could at least hit $150-$160 if it can pull in the upper $50's for OW.

19. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    think someone posted awhile ago it was tracking at like 60 million OW.

20. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    fail yes epic no, I just feel we live in a time where there is no in between, take the force awakens folks either claim it to be a masterpiece or the worst movie of all time. its like there is no in between. same for music and video games. take one of my favorite games of last generation Odyssey to the west, made by andy serkis, gamers were upset bc it didnt get perfect tens across the board. its like if a movie or game is in the 80s as far as approval ratings that means it sucks, lol. Same thing with box office, things can be a disappointment without being an epic fail. for example the amazing spiderman 2; fans were calling it an epic fail at the box office and it still made over 700 million WW.

as far as star trek 3, Im seeing it friday and I cant wait. I think this movie might end up doing better than some think it will do. for the record I didnt hate ST2, thought Benedict Cumberbach made a great bad guy, he just didnt need to be Kahn

21. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Reading all these latest posts it makes me wonder how some of the films even make a profit.

22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

A lot of movies don't. They barely break even at the box office and really don't get into the black until they go on home video. The studios are really leaning on the big tent pole franchises to do the heavy lifting.

Christopher Blair

The term "epic fail" can be subjective but I get what you are saying. I guess it's in the eyes of the beholder. Personally I found TASM2 to be a epic failure even though as you pointed out it made $700 million worldwide so it was in the black. Yes it made a profit but it didn't come close to making what it should (it's Spiderman after all) and it was a tent pole movie that Sony anchor their entire lineup that year around. It's the same way I am finding Ghostbusters 2016 to be a epic fail as well. Sony's entire year is central around Ghostbusters. It threw more money and time into it from production cost to media campaign then any movie they are rolling out this year. I guess you can look at it new two different forms of epic fail:

A. Scenario #1 - Movies like Ghostbusters and The Amazing Spiderman 2. Yes they made a profit but left a ton of money on the table not coming close to what it should have made especially they are tent pole movies that are the anchors to that studios entire year.
    B. Scenario #2 - Straight up flops like Tomorrowland and Alice 2. They don't make a profit and are a dud in every way imaginable but they are not the center piece to the year's line of movies. Alice 2 is the most perfect example. Absolute bomb but it wasn't a movie that Disney put as it's center focal point to the year.

To me, Scenario #1 is a lot harder for a studio to get over then Scenario #2. Again Alice 2 is the perfect example. Yes it was a total dud by every measure point but it wasn't an anchor to the year for Disney. They had Civil War, Finding Dory and Rogue 1 as their three head monster for this year. And considering they already had Zootopia, Civil War, The Jungle Book and Finding Dory already go passed $300 million domestically with Rogue One a couple hitters away (including Doctor Strange) they can quickly move past Alice 2. But Sony? Yeah they are going to have a tough time moving past Ghostbusters. They threw a ton into this and it hasn't come close to meeting any of their expectations.

raefinnpoe

Yes last number crunch, ST Beyond was tracking at $60 million. It's getting outstanding reviews though (93% on RT which is higher then ST:ID and almost on par with ST 09) so I am curious to see if that can inflate the numbers some to the $65 or even $70 million mark. I don't think it will since it just seems like this hasn't "click" with the general movie goer like ST 09 did but it still has a chance.

Ghostbusters btw had a 60% drop from Sunday to Monday.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

No way for Sony to slice that except it's not good. Pets had a 56% drop Sunday to Monday and it's already been out for two weeks. The fallout from Ghostbusters should be really something to watch for the next several months since it has many layers to it at Sony. And the sad thing thing the fallout has not even hit rock bottom yet!

AndyLGR likes this.
  23. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015

I also see your point but I try to be more realistic, Like the only movie that truly epicly bombed this yr to me is the BFG. While Alice in wonderland also most def bombed I wouldnt even say it epicly bombed, I just try not to over exaggerate something. Plus I factor in money from licenses, dvd sale and endorsement deals. who know how much sony made from papa johns for letting them use slimer in their commercials. or how much the studio that is making the new star trek is getting paid for letting companies use their property in commercials see below.

Also as I pointed out some movies that did ok at the box office turned a good profit when they went to dvd such as pacific rim and edge of tomorrow

24. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    So whilst people are saying this bombed and that bombed at the box office, are there figures anywhere for what films make in their DVD / BD sales?

25. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    i loved star trek into darkness, i actually like it better then star trek 09. but even i think 467 million isnt that great a total WW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.