main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Rogue One on DVD/Blu-ray/Digital

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by TCF-1138 , Dec 29, 2016.

1. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    So glad I impulsively bought R1 before waiting for the blu ray.

Watched it twice so far at home (5 times total) and it blows me away every single time.

What an amazing film! And for it to be a SW film is mind boggling. What a great addition!

R1 ranks #2 after TESB, for me.

For now. Cassian told me to.

Padme501st and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  2. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I've pre-ordered the Blu-Ray set at JB-Hi Fi. Comes with a bonus disc of special features.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
  4. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015

Cheers, thas where i was heading, will do that now.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  5. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999

Same! I got in #42 at the second run theater Monday night. It's a place where I saw TPM 10 times way back in the day but I swear I haven't gone once since. It's kind of a remnant of the past, but pretty neat. They charged $2 per ticket back when TPM came out, now it's $4.75 per ticket but on Mondays it's just $1 like the days of old, the literal "dollar theater." So I paid $1 to see Rogue One! It's actually $1 all week because of a spring break deal. The screen is huge, I was seriously impressed, I had forgotten their primary auditorium where Rogue One is playing is actually bigger than most first run theaters now days. The sound system, though, is where they have issues. Oddly the music sounded great, the sound effects were totally fine, but the dialogue was very muted. The most bizarre part that to me defies understanding is the dialogue levels. If a character was shouting, you couldn't hear them, it was almost silent. If they were talking normally, it was louder than them shouting. Almost like some noise-limiting "feature" of their speakers somehow mutes the shouting. It's the most jarring, strange thing I have experienced.

I think that concludes the theatrical viewings for me. I could go back Thursday but honestly why beat a dead horse. My 3D Blu-ray is coming next week and it's better to give the movie a week break so I can be excited to see it again on Blu-ray at home in 3D. I'm pretty stoked that they gave us the 3D version at all, let alone right away. It's a big deal for many of us fans, anyway. Home 3D looks fantastic and is a step beyond RealD 3D in theaters that's for sure. It just looks crisper, less dark, and more enjoyable. I'm pretty stoked for next week!

I'm glad to hear so many people are enjoying the digital copies. I keep seeing it on iTunes when I'm on my Apple TV. I'm not tempted, though, because I mean come on I've seen the movie 42 times, I can wait until next week. :D

6. Dory Vader

Dory Vader Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 15, 2015
    I am not sure where to post this. But i got RO and watched it a few more times. I have to say, that while I still like it, it just does not stand up with repeated viewings. The emotional drama is weak and the story is mediocre. Still love it! But not the type of film I would watch over and over again. The saving grace of RO is the last half of the last act. I got bored in the first two acts. I don't get bored with TFA except the Rathars scene. Overall a great film. Just down a notch from where I once had it.

starocean90 likes this.
  7. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    The opposite for me. TFA's repeat-ability has declined dramatically for me, after much fewer viewings. Still like it, but it's simply too thin (and the character motivations are far less robust in TFA than they are in RO - e.g. the difference between wanting to get a droid to a base, and wanting to reconnect with your father and fulfill his legacy...). RO is a work of art in comparison, IMO, and it gets better with every viewing.

8. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    That's amazing Bowen. Love reading your comments on the Box Office thread. A couple questions. Do you have a set goal number for total number of times seeing Rogue One in theaters? How many times did you see TFA in theaters? How do you keep count? Are you still likely to watch The Force Awakens for fun at home in March 2017 after seeing it so many times in the theater? I assume you've seen other movies besides Rogue One since December - but once Rogue One is out of theaters, will you immediately have a new movie you'll give repeat viewing or watch a larger group of movies 4 or 8 times each? And do you think anyone on the planet as seen The Force Awakens or Rogue One in their entirety as many times as you? You could be a Guinness Book of World Records holder.

9. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    This is the one I pre-ordered - https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv...le/sci-fi/rogue-one-a-star-wars-story/326745/

10. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    You hit the nail on the head with what you said, completely agree :)

11. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999

I just met my equal, to answer your last question. No I'm joking, I should say I met my match, he puts me to shame. On the Facebook comment section of Regal's Guardians of the Galaxy Ultimate Ticket (so you can check it out if you want), a guy named Chris has seen Rogue One 99 times in theaters and tomorrow (Wednesday, so technically today) will be his 100th time. He has the ticket stubs to prove it and showed a picture. All I can say is that I'm in awe, because while my level of devotion is high, he's on another planet. I still have a social life to maintain even if it's not an active one and I have a girlfriend (we live together and have for 5 years almost). I wouldn't be able to spend quality time with her and see my family, friends, her family, etc. if I saw a movie every single day like this dude. But kudos and props to him because that's pretty remarkable.

I really try not to set goals for how many times I see any of these movies because I feel I'd be making it into an obligation. I catch myself doing it to some extent anyway, though, but I try to have the attitude that whatever happens happens. With Rogue One, I felt in my mind that it would be 15-20 times before I heard about the Ultimate Ticket. Then I thought probably 25 times or so. I still kept thinking that sounded about right, but this movie wouldn't die. It made $400M less than The Force Awakens and by all means should have had a shorter theatrical run, but just the opposite happened. TFA was gone from theaters near me by March 24. Rogue One is still playing in a first run theater even through this Thursday, so it has actually had either just as long of a run or perhaps slightly longer around here. My local theater did indeed cut Rogue One 4 weeks ago (much before March 24, when they cut TFA), but a theater only slightly further away kept it an additional 3 weeks and that was the big difference maker as I saw it 8 times there. Suddenly I went from thinking just 6 weeks ago that I'd never hit 30 viewings to thinking, well, I will probably hit 32 or so, but I won't match my age for the first time ever (34). Then I thought, huh, ok well actually I will match my age, but that'll be it probably. Then it just kept chugging along. It was only seriously about 10 days ago I thought to myself... you know... if somehow this movie hangs around somewhere for another week or two, I could actually TIE my viewing count for TFA! And then Monday night, I passed it (42 versus 41). I think I'm done, though, it was a nice time at the second run theater Monday (the first run theater is further away and much smaller screen, so also not impressive) but the sound system is pretty bad and my home system is amazing. I spent a fortune when I moved from my downtown condo to my house having the best home system I could afford to enjoy movies here, so may as well just wait it out and enjoy Rogue One on Blu-ray next week!

I definitely do watch a lot of movies in theaters besides Star Wars. This year I've seen Underworld, xXx 2 (sadly, ugh, garbage), John Wick 2, Beauty and the Beast, LEGO Batman, Logan, and Kong: Skull Island. I'm looking forward to Ghost in the Shell this Thursday night. I basically watch almost every movie that gets an IMAX release because that's how I prefer to see movies. Very expensive, though, so besides Star Wars one time has to do for me. I used to see many movies 2-3 times in theaters, but now I see nothing twice except for Star Wars pretty much. In theory I wouldn't have an issue with seeing another movie a few times in theaters, if I love it enough, but in practice I have to prioritize my time and whatnot.

I watch the Star Wars movies less frequently at home, I mean I'm not very die-hard about that I'll be the first to admit, but that doesn't mean I'm inactive either. I often throw on the SW movies when I'm doing work, like right now I'm in the middle of Return of the Jedi after just finishing watching ANH for the 3rd time since Rogue One came out and ESB for the 2nd time since then. I try to watch each Star Wars movie a few times per year, but that's nothing compared to how many times I watch new movies in theaters. I could easily watch every SW movie once every 2-3 weeks and never get bored of them, but in practice I do have a lot of work to do, a girlfriend, I'm a big video gamer, I work out often and my fitness / health is important, so there's just never enough time. That's why I watch SW sometimes while doing mundane work because at least I can still enjoy something I know well and then kinda take a few minute break for parts I especially love.

For whatever reason, I always remember how many times I've seen a new Star Wars movie, though I admit to having a few moments of confusion where I had to think about it or check my signature here to confirm or my ticket stubs. That doesn't happen often, but I think once my signature here was off (low) and I thought, wait... no, I've seen it X times now, right? I couldn't quite remember. I keep every ticket stub though going back to 1997, and yeah, I get people on Facebook who are like, "Yeah ok, suuuure, you've seen it that many times, right buddy." I just kind of laugh because what a lame thing to lie about, right? Like seeing a movie a bunch of times is some accomplishment now? It's something to brag about? LOL, heck no. It's NOT something to brag about, it's sitting on your butt watching a movie. It's purely something that I enjoy and just get a kick out of, you know, it's like "Star Wars season" to me and that's how I really enjoy a new Star Wars movie release because I can delve into the books like the Visual Dictionary and Art Of for instance, I can pore over the Internet for interviews and tidbits about the film, which is awesome, I can discuss them with my fellow fans, and I can keep going back to theaters and enjoy the movie over and over again. It's not for everyone, I'll say that, I mean many people wouldn't enjoy that and if they wouldn't, they shouldn't do it. I would personally think any fan who really loves a new movie would want to see it, you know, maybe 4-5 times or something over 3-4 months, if they have the means / time, but I can't blame people who wouldn't want to see it more than 15, 20 times. It's definitely not something everyone is going to want to do. But I'm sure most fans will get there one day, you know, a few viewings per year for many years, we'll all have seen these movies a ton one day.

There are times where seeing a movie with such devotion does FEEL like you worked for it, though, and that's not because of watching the movie, but because of idiotic things like fighting winter weather to get to the theater, that has happened, or where you squeeze in that workout just perfectly so you can leave just on time to make the movie while missing the first 8 minutes of previews but none of the movie. Or where I drove downtown for an entire week (4 screenings) to see the movie in IMAX because it had left the IMAX theater near my house, but the funniest part is those are great memories. I have never, ever regretted seeing any Star Wars movie in theaters. The biggest regrets I have are always the times I didn't. I specifically remember one Saturday, I was just tired, I was worn out from the nonsense I had to do during the week and I lazily convinced myself to stay home and play video games even though I was intending to go. I still wish I had just gone, because I accomplished nothing that day. Or a few weeks ago, Oregon Ducks played the PAC-12 Championship game, I couldn't get in a viewing that weekend unless I skipped that game. Every single other show time literally competed with social obligations I had already made to people. It was then or not at all that weekend, and I decided a live sports event was more important than seeing Rogue One again for the millionth time. In the end, the Ducks lost, and that was a stupid decision because I don't care about watching a game my team lost. Then again, the Ducks are now in the Final Four, so it wasn't all bad to be able to watch them. I'm always thankful when the theatrical run ends and I don't ever, ever say to myself, "Gee, you know, it played in IMAX on the best theater screens in the world -- something I will never be able to experience again in my lifetime -- and I just sat around, channel surfed, didn't even bother going to see it in IMAX for weeks at a time." I get not every fan is like me, but for me? Yeah, I'd feel antsy, I would regret that the rest of the days I'm a fan. Even now, what I wouldn't give to see The Force Awakens again on that glorious IMAX screen just one more time! Even though I saw it about 30 times in IMAX alone... just one more! :D

12. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Brazillian Steelbook!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ricardo Funes and EHT like this.
  13. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    As usual, Disney makes us buy a separate 3D disk in Brazil.....
    and they glued the disk info in the back of the steelbook :mad:

14. Vader0706

Vader0706 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2017
    9 days until the Blu-Ray hits in the UK!

[​IMG]

15. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    Goodness, regarding a few posts up. It would be perfect if the "Disney Princesses" replacement stayed beyond April 1st just for that post alone.
    Anyway, with Amazon not allowing pre-orders, I might just pick this up at Walmart when I likely pick up groceries next weekend. I wouldn't have time to watch it during the week; I kind of want to watch it before watching Ep IV.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope this comes along with a sing along version.

Valency Jane likes this.
  17. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I'm hoping for alot of deleted scenes with Oloff!

Krueger likes this.
  18. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo!

[​IMG]

19. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

I think the biggest difference between R1 and other Star Wars movies (especially OT) is that R1 just didn't have the same amount of character development that we are used to seeing in Star Wars movies. In pretty much every Star Wars movie that has come out so far the characters are more important than the plot. In Rogue One however the plot is more important than the characters. It is a little bit of an adjustment.

20. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  21. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Yay. The Disney Princess joke is over. Like Jar Jar hopefully we never see something like that again.

22. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Tomorrow!![face_dancing]

23. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  24. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    Nice. Haha "Unlock secrets" with K2 accessing the data is perfect.

25. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014