main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Rogue One Reviews/Reactions thread

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Pro Scoundrel , Dec 3, 2016.

1. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    When you are in orbit of a planet, you are not in zero gravity. There is gravity, and it is considerable.

For example:
    • Earth's surface: gravity (at the sea level) is 9.81 m/s2
    • Low Earth orbit: gravity (LEO) is 9 m/s2
    Unless you are on a lagrange point, meaning where the gravities of two objects cancel out each other, you are always going to be influenced by gravity. (and there still other gravitational effects in place from nearby galaxies, but they are too small to consider when applied to this time scale).

The only way an object can "stay still" (referenced to the surface of a planet) is if it is in the correct orbit at the correct velocity, to compensate for the gravity pull.

Sooo, this all means that Star Wars is best without real-world science to spoil our fun.

2. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    Gigoran Monk
    Either that, or find another hard sci-fi franchise to follow, because this isn't it.

I love Star Wars. There isn't anything quite like loading up EAW and taking on the galaxy with a fleet of Star Destroyers. My expectations were based on what I've known to be Star Wars: the selfless work of moders who love Star Wars as much if not more than I do.

SW can be as realistic as you want it to. Granted not everyone who officially creates a SW story is going to use 100% realistic physics. But if you have the means and the know-how, you can go as diehard as you want.

While I was watching the space battle in the theater I enjoyed most of it for what I was worth. It was just those two moments of the Ion Bombs and the Hammerhead scene that felt incredibly unbelievable.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  3. KingKenobi

KingKenobi Jedi Padawan

Aug 7, 2016
    Fair enough sir, point well made!

And to clarify, I had no issue with the Hammerhead Corvette doing what it did.

4. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Unfan of ion bombs, hammerhead corvette maneuver and materials treatment of Star Destroyers. Rest is ok.

5. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Someone on the IMDb FAQ page posed the question: "Why are there no Bothans in this film?"

There's a "Many Bothans died...." joke in there somewhere, but I'm sure somebody's already made it.

6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Guys, remember to keep this thread for actual reviews of the film. If you just want to discuss complaints, we have a thread for that.

7. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Why do you hate fun? ;)

Darth Basin likes this.
  8. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I give the U-wing design 5 stars out of 5. So great! Fresh, yet classic. Fits right in there with the rest of the bunch - and actually adds something worthwhile.

That goes for the movie as a whole, too ;)

9. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Uhmmmm. THEY DID ram into each other. Why did the officers fall down on 1 of them?

So an ISD flaw in my review. R1 ISDs have a weak structure all of the sudden.

10. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    I think in ESB the officers are bracing themselves against the wall in case they hit, but if you look at the three ships from below as the falcon flies away you can see there is space between them -- they didn't actually hit each other.

Jcuk and KingKenobi like this.
  11. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Either bracing for a potential impact or bracing against the very rapid movement the SD was making to avoid a collision.

KingKenobi and Sarge like this.
  12. Good Blaster

Good Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2015
    Only moments of entertainment I got from Rogue One were strictly superficial (I enjoyed some of the xwing stuff but not much else). Characters were a complete flatline and the story was very dull. Lots of exposition done in a flat/boring way. Looking back (only saw it twice) my favorite thing about the movie was the Blue Leader character and his mini arc. Highly doubt I'll ever watch it again. Not as bad as the prequels, but almost a completely different beast.

13. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    To coin a phrase from Snooker commentary, perhaps there was a very slight 'kiss' between the two SDs in the ESB MF escape from Hoth scene? We certainly know they come dangerously close to one another as they pursue the Falcon.
    I think the view we get immediately after, as the MF suddenly dips and spins to avoid the chasing TIEs clearly shows the Destroyers narrowly avoiding a major impact.

Sarge likes this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I got the impression that the filmmakers wanted the ESB SD's to collide, but the FX or budget wouldn't allow them to do it justice, so they settled for showing us something that might be a near-miss or a slight fender bender of a collision.

Jcuk likes this.
  15. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    FX or budget restrictions may have been to blame IF the original intention was to have the Destroyers heavily collide.
    I've no doubt such a scenario was briefly discussed, but the SFX at that time just couldn't allow for such a scene.
    So the SD's had a graze :)

Sarge likes this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    And I think they were still trying to get it right 3 years later when they showed Executor colliding with DS2. If they're going to insist on messing with classic movie scenes, they ought to make that one more impressive. It's not all that great compared to what it could have been, they just barely touch and then Executor is gone in a flash of light. R1 showed us what that collision should have looked like.

Jester J Binks, La Calavera and Jcuk like this.
  17. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    100%. The Executor collision was terribly realised, in retrospect. But at the time, it was the best they could do *shrug*
    I'll always love the Original Trilogy. Sometimes I do wish ILM would completely recreate and modernise the space scenes. In ANH and ESB especially..

Sarge likes this.
  18. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Not even joking, the Executor destruction is my most disliked scene of the OT. In fact, I wished there was a Special Edition where that scene was completely re-written and re-shot.
    Seriously, what a lame scene for such a gorgeous ship. The Executor didn't deserve it.

19. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    To be fair I think most of that scene looks great, the shot just after the fighter has collided with the multiple explosions coming out of different points is a real "how the hell did they do that back then?" moment for me and the ship tilting downwards looks great as well.

A lot of what makes that impact less effective to me is actually that the light from the fire clearly shows up the DS's surface as a model. If they redid it I think they should have the ship crashing in a similar kind of fashion(maybe not directly downwards) but have a much smaller explosion at the front of the ship as it impacts that then triggers a bigger secondary explosion that destroys the main hull.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Just curious: Outside Star Wars, what are some of your favorite films?

21. Good Blaster

Good Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2015
    Man there's a lot....not going to List Tarantino, Scorsese, David Lynch, Kubrick, or F.F Coppola films because for the most part I enjoy all of their bodies of work.

Off the top of my head in no specific order

Jaws
    Terminator
    Gremlins
    E.T.
    Alien
    Aliens
    Rosemary's Baby
    The Thing
    Enemy
    Back to the Future
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Ghostbusters (1984)
    Robocop
    No Country for Old Men
    Fargo
    Tombstone
    The Road Warrior
    Ex Machina
    Whiplash
    Die Hard
    Predator
    Jurassic Park
    Evil Dead 2
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original)
    Nightmare on Elm street series (big horror fan in general)

I could go on and on, but there's just too many. Empire Strikes Back is my favorite film of all time though.

22. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    An excerpt from a review of Rogue One? Nope:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/star-wars--the-empire-strikes-back/review/

And Jaws also got "harpooned" back in the day. My favorite quote from the L.A. Times:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-jaws-original-review-20150619-story.html

It will be interesting to see how its critics will view this film in the future. I really think it will be considered one of the greats.

Meanwhile, the film just received a Nebula nomination (Dramatic Presentation category). The Nebulas are handed out every year by the Science Fiction Writers Association of America to honor excellence in the SF field.

23. DarthBeagle

DarthBeagle Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    You'd also think that a ship that size would have secondary control rooms to prevent it losing control the way it did when the bridge was destroyed.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

24. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    It's crystal clear to me that critically-speaking, this film will fare exceedingly well in the long term. It has a depth and an artistry that can make it a real classic, and a uniqueness and wackiness that can make it a cult classic (Saw, Raddus, etc).

25. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    This is a great post - completely agree.