main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Rogue One Reviews/Reactions thread

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Pro Scoundrel , Dec 3, 2016.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well lets get a good story with context, proper character growth and context then nods.

2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I would agree that the marketing for R1 was a major improvement over last year. So far, the reviews seem positive which is a good sign even if I don't really understand what's the point in showing only 30 minutes of footage. In this case, may as well show the whole movie.

3. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I'm making separate points. I think most will be very pleased.

4. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Wow, that is really cool and certainly makes me excited!

5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

You know people keep saying "Early reviews" but people only see like the first 29 minutes for all we know it can go down hill in the Third act.

6. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I think act three will be the best part of the film.

CrazyBladeUK, themoth and Pewbacca like this.
  7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yep, that's really cool. The indicators are REALLY positive for this movie.

8. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    i really have never understood this.

lucas spent 1991 to 2012 swearing up and down he never had a real idea for 7-9. said the movie saga was anakins and ends when luke reedems him and anakin destroys palpatine.

now he gets all pissy cause kasdan and abrahms disbanded an idea he probably spent 10 minutes coming up with before he sold lucasfilm to disney.

11-4D and Satipo like this.
  9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  10. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    i thought people saw parts of the beginning and the last 20 minutes.

so i guess if you would have worry would be the middle act lol

11. Pewbacca

Pewbacca Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 31, 2016
    His comments on the pacing are interesting. Lots of these early impressions have mentioned how the first 15 minutes of the film jumps from location to location very fast to introduce characters.

12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

fascinating to say the least.

Honestly not the first time I heard this

13. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

I've heard it described as basically the beginning of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Jid123Sheeve likes this.
  14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I;ve heard that too.

15. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    since i havent seen that movie, is that a good thing or bad thing?

16. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    It was a rather touching start to GotG.
    I think it's only a vague comparison.
    The Heroes as kids. Some tragedy, being separated from their parents.
    But rather different circumstances.

... and see the movie. It's a good movie. It's not Marvel Superheros. It would be a fine Star Wars movie with a little plot modification and renaming.

Jid123Sheeve and raefinnpoe like this.
  17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

So as long as Jyn rocks out to the song in ROTJ i am happy.

18. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    From what I've read, it sounds like the way many people would've made the opening of TFA if Rey had unrelated parents.

But it does sound like there's some choppy pacing issues in the beginning. Typical of Edwards? I didn't see Godzilla but saw clips that also seemed to have some slight editing issues.

19. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    i didnt have a problem with the editing with godzilila.

there i said something positive about that train wreck.

20. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999

Haha, then you didn't spend as much time as many fans thinking about the real reasons behind his statements. I said many times before even dating back to 1999 that Lucas would do the sequels one day, in all likelihood, no matter what he says. It's not that he's a liar, or that he didn't know, but what advantage is there to commit to doing 6 more Star Wars movies?! NONE. Why would you say before ROTS, "Yeah, after this one, I'll take some time off but then go ahead and make another trilogy." Wam, you just KILLED the "must see" factor of the "last Star Wars ever." There is no reason to do that, unless you're just an idiot. It's why I doubt Disney will announce Episode X before Episode IX comes out. It doesn't make any marketing sense to do that.

I guarantee Lucas had ideas for 7-9 from as far back as 37-39 years ago. I'm sure they were incredibly vague, but I bet in the years since then his genius mind came up with all kinds of things he might like to explore. As much as I love TFA, and I really do, it's a great movie, I still am bummed that I didn't get to see whatever Lucas wrote. I would have far preferred they do his story as close as possible with 7-9 because I was excited that even if he wasn't going to be directing, at least we'd get his ideas. Instead we have entered an era of fan fiction, which is fine, I've mentally adjusted. You can't have everything in life, and we can't have more Star Wars AND have it with George Lucas, so I'd rather have Star Wars than no Star Wars. TFA was great, I expect Rogue One to be great, and I think for me the best way I try to look at the new movies is that they're still to this point as connected to the past as possible. Harrison Ford played Han Solo, John Williams composed the score, many of the same SFX artists worked on the movie, Lawrence Kasdan worked on the script, and JJ has been a life-long Star Wars fan. There are enough connections that even if it's not what Lucas would have done, it's certainly in the spirit of Star Wars.

I do think for me, I can get a bit more excited about spinoff movies than saga movies at this point. To me, "true Star Wars" will always be 1-6 more than it will be anything else, because that's what Lucas created. But spinoff movies are fun "what if things went down like this" stories, almost like fans to tell to other fans, only with huge budgets :p And hey, that's cool with me.

dekaneas likes this.
  21. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Just watched Edwards discuss his conversation with Lucas about Rogue One. I think it's really nice that he is so respectful to the man who started it all. He seems much more respectful of Lucas than Abrams was IMO.

My guess is that Lucas liked the movie in part due to the fact that it is a bit different than the other movies.

Bowen and Luke'sSeveredHand like this.
  22. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    abrahms gets ripped for copying too much of ANH's plot outline and yet somehow thats disrespectful to lucas.

sounds like an omage to me.

23. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    my fear of edwards and synder for that matter is much of the fear I have always had with lucas. great visionary/visual filmmaker with good ideas but sometimes very poorly executed story, dialogue and character development. All you have to do is look at godzilla, it is an awesome looking movie and the last 15 minutes are breathtaking but the characters suck, the dialogue sucks and the pacing is way off. Thats why I believed some of the rumors about the re shoots being more than your everyday re shoots for rogue one took place. These last two trailers were a lot better than the first one that came out, the dialogue sounds 95 percent less wooden than before (some of jyn's dialogue still sounds bad to me, if im being honest). I am now truly looking forward to this movie.

dekaneas likes this.
  24. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    It works in GOTG. I could imagine that if you get that choppy feeling minus the rest of the film to balance it out, it might take some getting used to (plus I think it always takes more than one viewing to get used to any new SW film). I think it's positive if the reactions are mostly very positive without much of act three, as that's where I'm expecting the film to really blow us away.

25. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Man I wish we had some people on the inside like the MSW people to tell us if this movie is going to be good or not....I need my insider information dang it :p