main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Rogue One Trailers and TV Spots - NSA Edition

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by TCF-1138 , Apr 6, 2016.

1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    So about that palm tree/beach world

I was thinking - if Lehon/Rakata Prime had be re-canonized on the official galaxy map, could we be seeing this world?

Perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part, but that would be pretty kickass

2. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    I can't help but think Lucasfilm is planning on adapting some of the Kyle Katarn story. I don't have much to go on other than the main character's name (Jyn Erso) is oddly similar to Kyle Katarn's co-pilot's (Jan Ors). And then there's the bearded man we see in the trailer who, as far as I know, is still unnamed/unidentified.

Just a shot in the dark

3. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I have a feeling that palm tree world might be Yavin IV. But I am hoping as well that it is something else. Yes, Seagoat, Rakata Prime would be nice.

Seagoat likes this.
  4. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    It being Yavin IV doesn't make sense. This takes place before ANH, the Empire doesn't know of Yavin IV yet.

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, I'm 99% certain it's not Yavin IV.

6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Oh yeah. Forgot about that little detail.

7. Bloncket

Bloncket Jedi Padawan

May 26, 2016
    Whoever cut this trailer togther is a master at the game; I hope the film is cut as beautifully. Rogue One was nowhere on my radar before this.

It's fascinating: the first-person intensity, the choice of shots; the gorgeous compositions, the lighting, sets, costumes, music... (By the way, who is composing the music?)

The potential. It's exciting.

And this -

THIS.

Really fantastic.

It would be neat. But... No, I don't buy it.

What with RO's proximity to the ANH timeline, and the several known factors that entails, I think its story must center on unknowns - unknown personalities and fates: who will survive, in what state, at personal what cost. Who may be broken, or even turned ("... what will you become?"), by whatever force.

Which leads me to believe they wouldn't bring a well-known such as Biggs, or even Katarn, into the action (as Diego Luna's character looks to be part of the action); I think as many characters as possible will be disposable, breakable... Malleable. Builds the suspense.

Still, suspense be damned, I'd love it if Luna is Biggs. I love the idea.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Bloncket

Bloncket Jedi Padawan

May 26, 2016
    I was just thinking about one of the shots from the trailer.
    [​IMG]

This shot.

Heretofore I'd been just reveling idly in the beauty of it: the detailing on that Star Destroyer, the pull of shadow and light as the camera pans to the left...

But suddenly, I'm struck by the background.

Remove the ship and the gradient of light creeping up from the corner of the frame, and that Death Star-in-shadow - so huge that its own lights are reduced to mere specks in the depth of space - begins to look very much like a starfield, albeit one with geometrically-placed stars.

I wonder if the film could open with such a shot. For instance: "A long time ago..." and the title; an opening crawl, or not. Then, dissolve to stars. But as the camera draws back, we realize: That's no starfield. It is, in fact, a space station.

Of course, for a standalone film they may choose to break from the standard SW opening entirely. But what if they don't? I think this sort of thing might be possible. It could be an interesting spin!

9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It seems we'll get a new trailer this Thursday :)

TheYodaPagoda and CowMoo like this.
  10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yep and I've updated the title so this can be the catch all for trailer and TV spots discussion.

EHT, TheYodaPagoda and TCF-1138 like this.
  11. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Have we got a specific time when the trailer will debut tonight? I can't seem to find any info on it.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Nope. All we know is that it'll air at some point during primetime coverage.

13. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    All right. Bummer.
    Continuously refreshing the Star Wars youtube channel throughout the night it is then :p

Darth Dnej and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Canadian viewer here and there's this thing called "Simulcasting" wherein we get USA broadcasts but the ads are all Canadian content. Which means it's very possible that instead of getting the Rogue One trailer we'll get a one-two combo power punch ad of "Canadian Tire" and "Tim Hortons" instead. :oops:

To the youtube channel!

This brings back memories of me watching an entire episode of the O.C. just to see the Attack of the Clones trailer. Which did air in Canada. Only episode I ever saw.

But, anyway, yeah, as I said, to the youtubes!

Bloncket and TCF-1138 like this.
  15. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    To the youtubes indeed!

I'm guessing the trailer's still a couple of hours away. Slightly annoying - it's already 1.39am here. But I'll try to stay awake until it's out :)

Skellybobs likes this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Primetime coverage begins in 20 minutes so it could conceivably be here very soon... but yeah probably not. They'll make us suffer. :p

BigAl6ft6, Skellybobs and TCF-1138 like this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It's our lot in life.

18. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I've updated the title again to distinguish it from its spoiler equivalent. This way hopefully no one will get the two confused and accidentally post spoilers in here.

Master of None and TCF-1138 like this.
  19. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Oh my...

It's almost five in the morning here now, so I'll post my thoughts about it tomorrow :)

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    About Mr. Trailer

For some reason I can't articulate, this bit made me misty eyed

[​IMG]

"There is a 97.6% chance of failure."
    "He means well."

I just have a soft spot for movies about haphazard misfits on suicide missions. And this is not only that, it's a STAR WARS movie about that!

And, for me personally, this is THE shot of the trailer. Edwards seems to be toning wayyyyy back on the handheld in this movie compared to Godzilla and Monsters but this is handheld and it really sells the "You are there on a windy roof and a freakin' TIE fighter pops up."

[​IMG]

I love the way Jyn is walking too, seemingly staggering, limping, injured, but determined. I'd wager this is near the end of the flick.

That's it for me for trailers, by the way. There will be one in October ala TFA. not watching. I'm good with two. I'm sold.

21. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    The "deck" of the Star Destroyer emerging form shadow. =P~

Inverted Death Star. =P~

22. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    I loved it!!
    I'm looking forward to seeing Jyn in action, she's my kind of gal!

Best part for me was Vader, the part we didn't get to see from London live streaming.
    For me, he is the best villian of all time. His breathing gets me every time.

23. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    ... with some of the articles comparing "Rogue One" to "Saving Private Ryan", I was kind of hoping that the trailer would be similar in tone to the re-release trailer for "Saving Private Ryan", of which I personally consider to be one of the best trailers made. Having seen the trailer twice, I actually prefer the Celebration Reel instead.

Still, I have high hopes for the actual film. Though the trailer does ask the question: where were the RPGs during the Battle of Hoth ?

24. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Alexandre Desplat - most notable (IMO) for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. He's a master at adapting themes, and I think the new trailer has some gorgeous previews. I always said that when Williams retires, it should be Desplat who takes over. I'm thrilled to see he's already on their radar. =)

Bloncket likes this.
  25. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, I've seen the trailer quite a few times now. There's so much to take in!
    More and more I get the feeling that this could actually rival the Saga films in terms of quality. If the characters and the story are as interesting as the visuals we've seen, we're in for one hell of a ride!

Some thoughts:

[​IMG]
    I really like the design of this planet. The cities on top of huge Monument Valley like mesas. Very cool!

[​IMG]
    The design on this character has changed quite a bit since the teaser trailer. I'm wondering if this is something that happens in the film, or if they reshot all his scenes during pickups.

[​IMG]
    Are the Star Destroyers models in this film? I honestly can't tell if this is a model or CG. It looks amazing! And the shot design is great!

[​IMG]
    Good ol' Yavin IV. Looks really good! And I like the design of this ship.

[​IMG]
    "I fear nothing. All is as the Force wills it." Donnie Yen's character is one I'm really looking forward to seeing more of.

[​IMG]
    This droid seems like a fun character. Like a mix between a battle droid and C-3PO.

[​IMG]
    As I said - the visuals in this film will be jaw-dropping. This shot is incredible! Feels weird to see the Death Star in shots we've never seen before.

[​IMG]
    And this shot is just instantly iconic. My goodness.

[​IMG]
    This character intrigues me. He seems to be in charge of the Death Star. Where's Tarkin? Hunting rebels on Lothal?

[​IMG]
    A new variation of a classic shot. Looks good!

[​IMG]
    Oh my...
    Now that's a shot to end a trailer on!

Oh, yeah, I made a composite of one shot from the trailer that I think looks cool:
    [​IMG]

Again, this film looks amazing. The visuals are striking!
    Can't wait!