main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V Rogue One: Ultimate Visual Guide (contains untagged movie spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Iron_lord, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Seeing as this doesn't have a thread of its own, I figure it deserved one.

Focusing especially on Legends shout-outs.

In the Death Star scientists section, one (Vlex Onopin) is
    "a graduate of the Magrody Institute of Programmable Intelligence" (first mentioned in Children of the Jedi)

Any others that really caught the eye?

2. Manny Bothans

Manny Bothans Jedi Master star 1

Jun 12, 2013
    That a wanted surgeon going by the name of Roofoo was doing illegal surgeries on Jedha. Dr. Evazan was originally named Roofoo in the Star Wars Radio Drama. It made me chuckle.

3. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    The homeworlds are filled with EU planets, and technology names and manufacturers are pretty much ported over wholesale. A few other things I noticed:

*As GrandAdmiralJello gleefully pointed out, Mon Mothma holds the title of Chief of State, and the proto-Rebellion meetings cut from Episode III are said to be held at Bail Organa's Cantham House, both of which are from The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook.
    *Red Nine is Nozzo Naytaan, a Red Squadron pilot who was named but (due to a continuity error confusing him with John D. Branon) not seen in A New Hope.
    *Lieutenant Wion Dillems (Green Twelve) mentions he's filling in for Puck Naeco, who was suffering from a broken ankle. Puck originated in the Farlander Papers and became the final member of A New Hope's Red Squadron when Jason Fry was creating a roster for it in The Essential Guide to Warfare.
    *Derek Klivian, "Red Six Standby," has his helmet on display in the Helmet gallery. His presence at Massassi Base despite not being in the attacking forces is EU lore.
    *General Draven is said to be representing Alliance Intelligence at the Yavin base because General Airen Cracken is busy setting up spy networks on the Outer Rim. Cracken was one of the darlings of West End Games, and while his presence in canon isn't new, the reference to his prolific work setting up field operations is.
    *General Hurst Romodi's backstory is pretty much a direct descendent of the one given by Fry in Warfare.

4. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    One of the rebel troopers is a survivor of the Ghoman Massacre, has the canon mentioned that yet?
    Cassian is Aach, senatorial contact on Darknell, a shout out to"Interlude at Darknell"

5. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Sorry, not a Legends shout-out, but for anyone who has already picked this book up is there any confirmation that
    the blonde female pilot who showed up in that Topps trading card -- if she actually appeared in Rogue One somewhere, I missed her -- is Evaan Verlaine?

6. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Alas, appears to be an anti-confirmation, unless I'm thinking of the wrong character.
    The sandy-blonde pilot that I think appears in that card is here named Zal Dinnes. But since we're mentioning her, she's a Tierfon Yellow Aces veteran along with her wingmate, Jek Porkins; that squadron and Porkin's prior service in it are from the EU.

7. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    EDIT: jSarek beat me to it. But I'm still linking the Wookieepedia article, in case that helps.
    According to the Wook, her name is Zal Dinnes. If that's the blonde female pilot you're thinking of.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    There are random Legends things all over the place -- hard to remember them all unless you write them down. For example, I just came across an "Ashgad Award."

9. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I wish that there were some info/pictures from Wobani and Kafrene. The book has so much info otherwise that those seem like big misses.

DarthJaceus and Gorefiend like this.
  10. iucounu

iucounu Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 28, 2014
    This is my new favourite DK Visual Guide/Dictionary. I particularly like the spread of Jyn's childhood toys, and the creepy 'decerebrated' people from Jedha (whom I'm not sure we saw in the film?)

11. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Huh, wait a minute, with the big role of Chirrut and company as Jedi Temple guards, does this mean that Chirrut is one of these guys?

[​IMG]

12. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    No, Chirrut is not one of those guys. He's not a Jedi.

13. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    They aren't necessarily. It'd be cool to mix the two.

:)

14. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002

I was going to say that I didn't remember seeing them in the film either.

15. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    Chirrut and Baze aren't "Jedi Temple guards." They're Guardians of the Whills guarding the Temple of the Kyber. There's a whole different philosophy behind the Guardians and the Jedi.
    Sure, we could link them, and sure, we could call a tomato an apple, it doesn't mean should.

16. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    I had a chance to flip through the book at B&N today, and you are correct, the individual from the trading card is Zal Dinnes. But Evaan does receive a mention -- she's Gold Three. It shows her helmet :D

Iron_lord, jSarek and spicer like this.
  17. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I don't have the guide yet, so could someone tell me what it says about Melshi? I really liked his character and was curious if he got a detailed background.

Wait... does that pretty much confirm Evaan is the third Death Star assault survivor? That's awesome!

18. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Yes, but according to Wookieepedia apparently the Galactic Atlas book previously confirmed that (I haven't seen that one, it doesn't come out in the US for a few more days yet). Still, pretty cool!

19. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Grabbed this book today. $30 is a bit steep but definitely acceptable for a book this hefty. There's so much awesome info here! I skimmed each page but didn't read them all in depth. Man, though, if there's one thing it drives home it's that this movie has beautiful visuals.

DarthJaceus and my kind of scum like this.
  20. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    A guy on reddit said that the book says this
    ''The Visual Guide for R1 explains that his lungs are filled with Geonosian insecticide. Hence the breathing apparatus.''
    But now I hear that this might be a lie, could anyone who has read the entire book say if this is true or not ?

21. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Fort hose who already have it, is there anything about the Imperial insignia plaques?

22. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Off the top of my head, it says that Krennic's badge is the "equivalent of Admiral in the fleet" for his station, or something like that, and it says that Galen Erso's badge we see on Coruscant in the flashback denotes him as a member of the science division (and his Eadu uniform marks him as the head of the project).

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    Galen's rank plaque from his his days wearing a proper Imperial uniform says it's a "research division rank plaque"
    There's also this gem on page 120 under "Imperial Insignia":
    "A plaque with an arrangement of colored rectangles denotes rank. Sector-specific design schema creates a hodgepodge of non-uniform matkings"
    There's a reference to the "purging of Geonosian insecticide from reinforced lungs" on one of Saw's pages

Iron_lord and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  24. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012

Thanks. What I wanted to know is whether there's an in-universe explanation to the coexistence of single-rowed and two-rowed insignia.

25. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Anything on the Rebel senators?