main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V Rogue One: Ultimate Visual Guide (contains untagged movie spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Iron_lord, Dec 17, 2016.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The 'Art of' book has a 4-page spread on Bor Gullet. Most of it is concept art but there is a write-up about how the character came about. Article says he is an empath but doesn't say if he is sentient.

2. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002

Nothing on Kafrene in the book at all, sadly. Not even mentioned.

Has anyone seen any of the decraniated on Jedha or were they all cut from the film? In later viewings, I've found the tall salamander mounts from the maps book but haven't found any decraniated...

TheRedBlade likes this.
  3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I dare someone to add this to the thread title.

4. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Well it was marked on the map at the front of the book, but yeah, I wish we got something more substantial since the little of it we saw in the film seemed pretty interesting to me.

5. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    When I saw that scene in the movie my first thought was "Is this Guardians of the Galaxy or Star Wars?". Then again, GotG was pretty great so following their example isn't exactly a bad thing.

I hope tentacle monsters aren't required in every Star Wars movie. Well, there was that trash compactor monster in ANH, then maybe that swamp monster on Dagobah, maybe Jabba counts for RotJ. And TFA had that rip-off from nuTrek '09 too, hm, maybe it is a tradition (unfortunately).

And if they ever borrow a scene from Muppet Treasure Island, I hope someone references this scene someday-

Kylun and MercenaryAce like this.
  6. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    No, the Sarlacc is ROTJ's tentacle monster.

Also, I'm now renaming Bor Gullet to Borg Mullet.

jSarek likes this.
  7. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I FINALLY FOUND A COPY AVAILABLE OF THIS GODDAM BOOK IN JAPAN AMAZON!
    It has been temporarily out of stock for weeks and it was driving me nuts.
    And lol it’s temporarily out of stock again. It hasn’t even been a day since the restock.

8. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    A monster scene is certainly a Lucas staple (as is a chase of some kind, inspired by his love of cars and American Graffiti). The sea monsters in TPM (long tongue in place of tentacles), the arena monsters in AOTC (nexu's tail and acklay's claws), the deleted nos monster from ROTS, the dianoga in ANH, wampa and dragonsnake in ESB, rancor and sarlacc in ROTS, and now the rathtars and bor gullet. The latter seem kinda like mandates; "we've got to have a monster scene! And a cantina! And a lightsaber!"

9. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    We are the Borg. Lower your hats and surrender your scalps. We will add your trichological and tonsorial distinctiveness to our own. Your business in the front will adapt to service party in the back. Resistance is futile.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Never.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

vncredleader, Kylun, Vthuil and 5 others like this.
  11. The Corellian President

The Corellian President Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2015
    Finally got my copy...can I just say WOW

12. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Got my copy on Tuesday, and I'm loving it. Now as a costumer my first reaction was "I want all the costumes!!!", but now I'm taking my time reading through it. Personal favorite tidbits are probably the Cracken info and that Cassian operated as Fulcrum.

13. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    The way Saw pronounced Bor Gullet sounded more like Boo-golly to me. Maybe the word is French/Twi-Lekki?

14. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, but the breakdown of the Alliance High Command sheds some light on the makeup of the Supreme Allied Commanders mentioned in the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook. Although the VG never actually mentions the title of SAC, it does mention a number of senior officers who head each branch of the Alliance Military which was described as being led by an SAC in Legends. Under Legends, there were seven branches of service which formed High Command; Fleet Command (headed by Gial Ackbar), Ordnance and Supply (headed by Ral'Rai Muvunc), Starfighter Command (headed by Jan Dodonna), SpecForce Command (headed by Crix Madine), Intelligence (headed by Vernan, then Airen Cracken), Sector Command (headed by Carlist Rieekan; Who's Who in Echo Base mentions that he "became a permanent member of High Command as Chief of Sector Command"), and Support Services (no leader identified). It must be noted that some of these figures seem to have been promoted to the title of SAC later in the Galactic Civil War, leaving it ambiguous as to who preceded them.

If we assume that each of these branches is still represented by a Supreme Allied Commander, then we can derive that all seven SACs (at least as of the Battle of Scarif) are as follows:
    - Fleet Command: Admiral Raddus (Presumably succeeded by Gial Ackbar).
    - Ordnance and Supply: General Baccam Grafis.
    - Starfighter Command: General Antoc Merrick (Although he is mentioned as having a close overlap with General Jan Dodonna, especially on missions where Merrick was unavailable or command was more efficient from the ground. Possibly a joint SAC, or an unofficial collaboration with Dodonna due to his experience in the field, followed by Dodonna taking over full time upon his death).
    - Support Services: General Dustil Forell.
    - Intelligence: General Airen Cracken, represented in absentia during meetings by General Davits Draven.
    - SpecForce Command: General Pitt Onoran (possibly succeeded by Crix Madine later in the war?).
    - Sector Command: General Jan Dodonna. (I was curious about this one, since Dodonna is the only High Command member mentioned in the VG who was already identified as the SAC of another branch in Legends. Given that Rebels makes mention of him leading a prominent Rebel cell, it's possible that he'll be shown later leading some coordination between cells, with his appointment in Canon reflective of that).

As an old school WEG fan, I just love having all seven SACs identified and heading High Command in a specific period. That said, on a rather embarrassing note and at the risk of undermining my WEGgy credentials, I've spent close to a decade thinking that there was a separate Army Command. I used to grumble at all these smug Fleet, Starfighter, and SpecForce jocks who snagged all the attention, with something as basic as the head of the regular old Army never getting a shout-out. I actually fumed over the fact that Army Command was the only one left out in this VG, only to look up the High Command structure in preparation for this post and subsequently discover that the position never existed in the first place. Presumably control of the Alliance Army is shared between Sector Command and SpecForces.

Lost a Supreme Commander, Master Paxis has. How embarrassing. How embarrassing... [face_blush]

15. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I think it was the great Republic-era holoplaywright Cosar Ildwe who said, "To lose one Supreme Commander may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose more looks like carelessness..."

Jedi Princess, Vthuil and Daneira like this.
  16. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Looking at the cross section of the UT-60D I am thinking they short changed the body count for passengers. It looks to me like they could easily put in an additional 6 seats (2 aft and 4 forward) connected to the seating they have in there. This would allow it to carry 14 total passengers. It might not be the most comfortable ride they have....but it is a troop transport....not Sheev's personal shuttle. This would make it comparable the the Vietnam era UH-1/Huey.

17. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    Speaking of the U-wing, upon reflection I think it was a mistake that the guide states that U-wings were a limited production. It seems like that was their way of explaining why it hadn't shown up in Star Wars works before, just like the entry for the TIE Striker explained it was a prototype. But the thing is, if the Striker becomes a popular design that appears in future works they can always say that the Imp designers decided to go forward with it. With the U-wing, stating that it was limited is sort of discouraging writers and artists from using it in the future.

I mean it's not like there weren't already reasonable explanations for why it wasn't in the OT. They weren't on Yavin in ANH since their U-wings got blown up over Scarif. They weren't on Hoth because of all that "we're having trouble adapting our vehicles to the cold" stuff. And they weren't at Endor because their primary purpose is troop drop ship, which has limited use when the planet's full of dense trees and the generator presumably shields itself from an air strike.

If A-wings can appear in Rebels without anyone complaining that they weren't at Yavin or Hoth, I don't see why they have to impose a limit on U-wings.

18. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I was surprised at that as well. Seems like an unneeded limitation that could cause future complications, something which Pablo usually tries to avoid.

On the other hand, for all we know "limited production" in the SW universe means thousands were made.

19. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    They could also always just make more at a later date.

King of Alsakan and JediBatman like this.
  20. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I concur, we have only really seen a very tiny fraction of the many locations and vehicles that are found in the Galaxy. Since its a very big place to explore, I believe its pretty reasonable to think we did not see everything the Galaxy has to offer in the OT alone.

Kylun and JediBatman like this.
  21. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    It does fit with the general push for the Rebel equipment to be old, discontinued, one-offs, failed runs, anything they can get their hands on. It was a huge deal later on that the NR Fleet was finally standardized.

22. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    At the same time it could have been something that was in production for a while and there are a a whole lot out there with planetary security forces and are being funneled to the Rebellion.

23. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I got this book today at Books A Million, It was originally $30.00 but with a BAM card and Coupon I got it for $24.00 and change!!!!!! I love It, It has to be the Thickest DK Star Wars Visual Guide, lots of content. I heard someone In this thread say there are no cross sections in the book, I counted at least 3 cross sections in the book. Krenics ship, A Tank and one other I cant remember what it was, mind you I just skimmed through it.

24. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
  25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    My heart.

Cracian_Thumper likes this.