main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Rogue Planet" by Greg Bear [Del Rey, 2000]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by Kadue, Mar 4, 2003.

?

"Rogue Planet" by Greg Bear [Del Rey, 2000]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

7.5%
  2. 9

13.8%
  3. 8

18.8%
  4. 7

18.8%
  5. 6 (Average)

12.5%
  6. 5 (Average)

11.3%
  7. 4

6.3%
  8. 3

3.8%
  9. 2

2.5%
  10. 1 (Poor)

5.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jawa_Monkey_Droid

Jawa_Monkey_Droid Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2003
    A good first attempt at Ep 1-3 EU literature.

That being said, the writing style didn't grab me. I liked it, but it seemed like another story that started out as being some other genre entirely, and then was translated into a Star Wars book when the author was given a Star Wars assignment.

Also, the cover art just sucks. That picture of Anakin is terrible. He looks like some kind of warped alien boy.

The interesting point, and the only value the book really has- it's saving grace- is the Vergere subplot and the backstory on the living planet, which will feature prominently in the NJO.

A must-read for NJO fans. All others should pass.

2. cdillon

cdillon Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2003
    8--I was a little worried about reading this book because I heard a lot of bad things about it. But I really enjoyed it. It was good to see the struggle that Obi-Wan had with teaching the boy. It was good to see Anikan's first steps to the darkside. And that was a great ship by the way. I also liked seeing Tarkin and the Death Star come to light. All in all this was a very good read.

Oh and the cover art was awful...

3. ShaolinSniper

ShaolinSniper Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2003

It was a pretty good story to me plus it helped that I read it before Traitor,Destiny's Way, The Force Heretic Series and The Final Prophecy.

The Final Prophecy gives a little insight on teh ship building, but really the ship building scenes went pretty well for me, the again i have a real good reading comprehension.....

Go to the parts with Tarkin and the mechanic, cant remember the name. Bet you cant guess what those plans are and when they are put to use.....

4. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I gave this book a 5.

I thought the begining was good, but the end just got cluttered with the ship building stuff. I found myself speed reading through most of that part. It just bored me to sobs.

Though I've never read, nor plan to read any NJO books, I recognized and respected the forshadowing of the Vong.

The Tarkin and Sienar scenes were good. Like the forshadowing. Only the Death Star plans being in Sienars office don't exactly make too much sense after watching AOTC. :p

But there was absolutely nothing special about this book from what I remember. Of course it's been 3 or so years since I read it. Oh well.

5. BecJedi

BecJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jul 27, 2003
    I'd give it an 8. I found the interaction between Obi-Wan and Anakin really interesting and a pleasure to read. It was also very good how Greg Bear would refer to Qui-Gon as much as he did. Not too many prequel writers do this, and I think it's important considering Qui-Gon large influence on both Obi-Wan's life and him taking Ani as his padawan.
    The plot flowed really well until the ship building bit, I agree. It just really dragged there. I do think it is well worth buying though. The living planet and everything there...ah, it was so cool. :D

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999

The writing style is very juvenile. However, the book is an important prelude to the NJO, which bumps it up a couple notches for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.