main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Rogue Planet is it necessary to the NJO?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheNewEmpire, Mar 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    I've been rereading the NJO. I've started reading DESTINY'S WAY again and the notion of Zonama Sekot just cropped up. Do you recommend that I read Rogue Planet? Is it necessary?

I brought the book back in 2000 but never got further than a third of the way though as I vaguely remembered being bored and disappointed by it.

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Cad Bane does he contradict the EU

I would recommend reading Rogue Planet because it's one of the best EU novels. It is not, however, necessary to understand The New Jedi Order.

3. TheJediBrah

TheJediBrah Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 6, 2013
    Nah everything works better if you pretend Rogue Planet never happened. And it's a good life choice in general to not waste your time reading it.

BoromirsFan and CT-867-5309 like this.
  4. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    I got away with reading the NJO having never seen nor heard of Rogue Planet before, so I'd venture that no, it's not necessary at all. The NJO books give you everything you need to know about Sekot to get through.

5. TheJediBrah

TheJediBrah Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 6, 2013
    I would even venture as to say it's more enjoyable without reading Rogue Planet, especially with the mystery surrounding Vergere and what the heck she actually is which you find out half way through NJO. If you read Rogue Planet you sort of know that
    she was a jedi
    right from the start.

6. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Nope; decent novel though.

7. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    How is the njo going to get out of this one

(I never finished Rogue Planet, by the way. [face_shhh])

8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    As TheJediBrah mentions the NJO actually works better without having read it. Though I personally can't stand it, a lot of other people like it as it's own story. Thus my Recommendation read the NJO and after that Rogue Planet.

9. DarthBarrister

DarthBarrister Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2014
    Based on what has been said here, I'm glad I've held off until done with NJO.

10. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I've been meaning to give that one a try. Tried reading it as a kid once and never got very far, but I suspect it'd be a lot more interesting now that I know who Vergere, Zonama Sekot, and all these other characters are.

11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    It might be worthwhile to read Rogue Planet after Destiny's Way if you think it spoils certain elements of the NJO prior to that point.

12. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Lol @ Del Rey, preemptively ruining their own series with their own publishing schedule. Someone should have told Greg Bear to put a spoiler tag on his book!

13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I don't think knowledge of who Vergere is really affects the plot at all. It evidently didn't spoil anything for most people who didn't trust Vergere at all, resulting in the retcon.

14. DarthBarrister

Jan 16, 2014
    When you say "the retcon", do you mean making her a Sith in LotF (at least I think that's where she's called a Sith)?

15. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I don't remember if Rogue Planet or AoC came out first but I never got the impression from the pre-DW NJO that we weren't supposed to know Vergere's past. She's basically a completely new character and knowing where she came from doesn't make her actions in the current story any less enigmatic.

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yes.

I think Rogue Planet came out during Dark Tide.

17. DarthBarrister

Jan 16, 2014
    I think Rogue Planet came out during Dark Tide.[/quote]

I worked in a bookstore when it came out and remembered being turned off by the cheesy-looking cover. Pretty sure it was 2000 that it came out, which would be right in the Dark Tide time frame.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I read Rogue Planet right when it came out and was annoyed by it. I finished the NJO in January and didn't feel like I had missed anything from Rogue Planet, despite the fact that my strongest memory of it is "What the hell was Anakin racing again?"

And Vergere was never a Sith and never will be. That's my canon and I'm sticking to it.

19. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    ^:)^

20. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Rogue Planet probably isn't necessary for reading the NJO, but it does offer more background on Zonoma Sekot, as well as the Vong's first (recent) encounter with Sekot. I don't remember loving the book but I don't think it was that bad either, and at the time gave more insight into how Obi-wan and Anakin were getting along.

During the NJO, Vergere was always a mysterious figure. Definitely not just a random minor Vong familiar, she did save Mara's life, but even in just SbS alone seemed to help multiple sides at once, but it mostly makes sense by Traitor and Destiny's Way. So reading RP isn't necessary, but it was interesting seeing a prequel book setting up the NJO.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    RP does explain the comment in FH3 "Anakin choked the BloodCarver"

Revanfan1 likes this.
  22. DarthBarrister

Jan 16, 2014
    Yeah, pretty much figured all mentions of Anakin and Obi Wan in Force Heretic III onward referred to Rogue Planet.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    "She's leaving."

24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

[​IMG]

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Him using the choke should have never happened before AOTC. [face_not_talking]

Force Smuggler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.