main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue Squadron- Escape From Fest (snow level w/AT-PT's): The bane of my existence

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , May 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ok, with recent discussions about Rebel Strike and such, I decided to go back and pop in the original Rogue Squadron for N64 to see if I could finish the game off finally, since I could never beat that one snow level. and lo-and behold it's just as hard as it was when i first stopped playing the game.

It seems that no matter what strategy I use, the AT-PT's always get destroyed before I can finish tripping up the third AT-AT.

I try clearing the section with the 2nd AT-AT of tank droids and the walker first, and the AT-PT's get destroyed. I try going after the third AT-AT before the second one and the AT-PT's get destroyed. I try clearing off the tank droids first and the go after the 2nd and third walkers, but 5 more pop out of nowhere and the AT-PT's get destroyed. It's quite frustrating really.

So, is there some secret strategy that actually lets a player win the level? It's seems impossible.

2. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    Bring down the first and second AT-AT and then go strait to the third, thats what I do and I try to do it before the gate is down.

3. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    Here-Here. JON's got it to a tee. 'Tis the very strategy I used.

Fest and Sullust were the reason for F5's decison to ave a somewhat gentler learning cuve in RSII.

There was constant complaint of RS beng too difficult so you're by no means alone The2ndQuest.

4. Darth was Mauled

Darth was Mauled Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2000
    I also have bad memories of Escape from Fest. I really hated that stage, those AT-PT's kept on getting destroyed by the AT-AT's.

5. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    I had trouble with that board too...and then the Y-Wing levels...

I still have yet to complete this game...or any of the SW games for that matter.

6. RogueRoyalGuard

RogueRoyalGuard Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2002
    I havn't played it in a while but I think I rember getting a gold on it like this: don't go in to the place that the ATPTs start out in. Instead take out the second walker and then go take out the first. I don't know though I may remember wrong.

7. Ceifer

Ceifer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Ack, I hated this level. Though I had no problem beating it. This seems to be the only level in the game that I could never get even a bronze medal.

8. bliv

bliv Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    I got a gold on this one.

If I can remember correctly, it's not just that AT-AT's that do damage. Between the 2nd and 3rd AT-AT there are other things that shoot at your friendlies as they pass down the mini valley type thing. They also need to be dealt with.

Could be wrong though.

9. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Worst. level. ever.

I spent so many lives on it, and it was so annoying, that I've never played it since I beat it the first time.

Basically, it's what they said. Clear out the map as much as you can before the gate is visible, that way there's nothing there to destroy them.

Actually, the only thing you really need to worry about are the tank droids. They are true pisser-offers of that level. If you can handle them, you should be fine.

Oh yeah, and the bombers. If you get a clear run on them, you can take them down before they drop anything.

10. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    OMG i hated this level. i've only passed it once and i'm lucky i got a bronze when i did. The Y-wing levels are particularly easy tho... ( :p )

11. Be_Afraid

Be_Afraid Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2003
    I hated that level.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I, also, hated that level.

After I beat it, I never played through Hell again.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, basicly go after the 2nd and 3rd AT-AT's + various stuff before flying to the gated area with the 1st walker?

Worth a shot- I think the only constant in my failed strategies was I jetted to the first walker beyond the gate to take it down ASAP before I did the other stuff. So, not doing that certainly makes some sense [face_batting]

14. RogueOutcast

RogueOutcast Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2003
    I just took out the AT-ATs in order, just get them before the gate goes down, and dont stuff up the wire around their legs.
    The Y-wing levels are some of my favourites, great fun.

15. DARTH-PLONKER

DARTH-PLONKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 23, 2003
    That level almost made me destroy my controller a few time, it is so hard. I only ever completed it once. Yeah, I think u hav 2 destroy all the AT-ATs before the wall thing is destroyed.

It's a shame it was so hard because it's otherwise quite a fun level.The cut scene at the start is quite cool.

16. Lanky

Lanky Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    Uh... this was the first level I got a gold in. IMO best level in the game. I thought the hardest was Sullust, I can still barely do that without cheats!

If you want to beat it, there's no easy way. You just have to do things in the proper order. At the beginning of the level, fly towards the ridge with all the turrets. Destroy them and the turret in the valley near the shielded Science Facility. Then, fly over to the AT-PT area. Once your there, destroy the two bunkers and strafe the stormtroopers on your way to the AT-AT. You have to get him down with one cable if you want the level to be it's easiest. Once that's done, fly straight towards the shield generator and destory the turrets BUT NOT THE SHIELD GENERATOR! You need to rope the AT-AT, again with one cable or you're going to have problems. Once that AT-AT is down, the gate should be down too. Any tanks that are in the shield generator area, you can forget about. They can't do any damage to the AT-PT's and you only need to destroy them if you want a gold. Fly down towards the third and last AT-AT. You also need to rope this guy with one cable. Once that's done, start chewing on the tanks. You need to destroy at LEAST all of them that sit before the turn (theres one group around the corner) before going after the bombers. Once Kasan warns you about the bombers, fly straight towards the Science Facility and start picking them off. There are six waves of two bombers each (this won't work if you've destoryed the shield generator, you'll have to wait for the bombers to come to you, because if you fly to the Science Facility the missile launchers will pick you off and you can't divert your attention from the fighters). Once the fighters are down, take out the last tank group if you havent already. Congratulations! There's no way to loose the mission now unless you run out of lives. Once the bombers and tanks are gone, no matter where the AT-PT's are, you can leave them. Go destroy the shield generator and fly to the Science Facility. Destory the missile turrets and the 2 bunkers, but leave the Science Facility for a minute. FLy up the canyon wall to the right of the Science Facility and there will be a bunker protected by 2 turrets at the top. Destroy the bunker and the turrets and you can group the tech upgrade. Fly back down and strafe the Science Facility until it explodes and the mission ends.

A couple of notes, I want to reiterate that you NEVER need to destory the tanks in the Shield Generator area unless you fail to bring down the walker until a good chunk of time after the wall is destoryed. In that case, you've probably lost the mission anyways. Also, if you DO take a long time on walkers 1 or 3, don't panic, you can still complete the mission except it will probably be with only 2 AT-PT's. If you still have more than one tank group in that long area when the bombers come, you probably won't beat the mission, but if you do, then I would guess only with 1 AT-PT.

Wow me fingers are exhausted :p

17. RogueRoyalGuard

RogueRoyalGuard Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2002
    I finaly remembered! Some one else proably got it but just in case: take out the first and 2nd walker all the droid tanks and then destroy the gate. that will give you a head start at the 3rd walker that only comes out after the gate is destroyed. Hope that helps

18. Lanky

Dec 30, 2002
    take out the first and 2nd walker all the droid tanks and then destroy the gate. that will give you a head start at the 3rd walker that only comes out after the gate is destroyed. Hope that helps

The third walker is around whether the gate is destoryed or not... Also, the gate will be down shortly after taking out the second walker if you do it with one cable.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, great, you have to deal with bombers too? Joy. [face_batting]

Think I'll sacrifice a few lives first to do some recon of the level- i don't think I've even seen the science facility yet except for in the opening cut scene [face_batting]

20. Lanky

Dec 30, 2002
    Think I'll sacrifice a few lives first to do some recon of the level- i don't think I've even seen the science facility yet except for in the opening cut scene [face_batting]

The level is actually fairly small when you compare it to other areas in the game. Heck, its smaller than Tatooine!

21. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    Aye, who plays the N64 anymore anyway? Unless it's Goldeneye 007 I don't see the point.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I still play all my game systems, and I have 22 N64 titles, most are still quite fun to pick up, and I can't let a SW game go unfinished- even if it does take me 5 years [face_batting]

23. Billy_Shears

Billy_Shears Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 9, 2002
    I thought this level was pretty easy, IMO....

It was nothing compared to Sullust. They should have made RL as difficult....but nooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

24. Grand_Moff_Qorl

Grand_Moff_Qorl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2002
    I have taken all god in RS and RL and all exept one on ace in RL, and I must say RL is much harder to get gold in if you count endurance I just coudent complete it again on ace mode. The Fest level is a tricky one, but start going right and destroy the sheeld generator in the biginning, then take out the first AT-AT then the second one and try to take out a few small tanks that is closet to the main road on the way. take the third and take out as many of the small tanks as fast as possible, try to see wich ones is the biggest treat

Remember this is the Gold strategy I used, but everyone has his/her one :)

25. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    I for one find that particular level to be a pain as you have seen, it is quite difficult to wipe out those AT-AT's in that amount of time without losing a few AT-PT's. 8-} You should have seen me playing that level, it took me weeks to get the hang of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.