Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike

Discussion in 'Games' started by the_chosen_two, Mar 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6-6-6 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ahhh shuddup

The Empire was a good enemy so far, but it is really getting old. And jello, may I remind you that Rogue Squadron games are about Rogue Squadron, not the empire.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello Community and Lit moderator person

Manager
    star 10
    Yes, and Battle for Naboo was also about Rogue Squadron...[rolleyes.gif]
  3. portman_is_so_fine Force Ghost

star 4
    Battle for Naboo was about the Bravo Squadron or whatever. Some 40 or so years before the Rogues.
  4. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    2nd: "After Luke and co. die, the focus will probably shift to Jacen Solo, Jaina Solo, Ben Skywalker and Valyn Horn."

I know people often think of me as horny, but I wouldn't go so far as to include that word in my name... :(
  5. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Not sure if you're joking or not, but I'm referring to Corran's son [face_batting]
  6. Jedi_Jason5001 Force Ghost

star 3
    I think that what The2ndQuest just described would be quite interesting. But you'd probably get shot down the first 100 times just b/c of the dovin basals eating your shots. Then you'd have to compensate and bllah blah blah. But overall I like his idea. And I am also SUPER excited for RS3. I hope it's gonna be great.
  7. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    >>But you'd probably get shot down the first 100 times just b/c of the dovin basals eating your shots<<

Stutter-fire would bring a new element to the gameplay to compensate for them (either that or they'd make them take a few hits each before they went down), or even placing a heavier focus on wingmen controls to concentrate fire on targets to overload the dovin basals or at least draw them away from your shots.

Not to mention, if this were to happen, you'd be flying XJ3 X-Wings, which have a higher torpedo cache, so, again, things would balance out a bit- the voids might eat your shots, but you can pop a proton underneath all that and take 'em out.
  8. bliv Jedi Knight

star 3
    The NJO period is a no go.

Lucasarts aren't thinking of the EU fans and those who read the novels in particular when designing games. They look at the bigger picture. There are many fans who haven't read much or any EU and there are others who don't accept the Vong a spart of the EU. Therefore in the best interests of their own sales they stick close to what is in the films. As seen in Rogue Squadron they can use the well known ships and EU storylines such as the battle of Mon Calamiri. The reason they want to have Rebels vs Imperials is that it's the most well known and it's liklely to attract more sales, especially the from casual fan who has limited EU knowledge and wants to play an extension of what they see in the films instead of what appears to be a totally different universe of Vong vs Rebel.
  9. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    >> Lucasarts aren't thinking of the EU fans and those who read the novels in particular when designing games.<<

I wouldn't say that's true-Jedi Outcast, Rogue Squadron, Bounty Hunter, The Clone Wars, the Starfighter series, etc all have heavy EU storyline elements and are even worked on/designed by people like Hayden Blackman who work on EU material like the comics.

>>There are many fans who haven't read much or any EU and there are others who don't accept the Vong a spart of the EU.<<

People say the same thing about Dark Empire, at yet they included a leve; based on that in RS1.

>>The reason they want to have Rebels vs Imperials is that it's the most well known and it's liklely to attract more sales, especially the from casual fan who has limited EU knowledge and wants to play an extension of what they see in the films instead of what appears to be a totally different universe of Vong vs Rebel.<<

The flaw there is the Rogue series already has a current entry that acts as an extension of the films: Rogue Leader. And even though Imps vs Rebels might draw a bigger audience, the same gaming audience doesn't want a retread of Rogue Leader (just look at the comments in this thread and on other sites for evidence enough of that). And, with the Starfighter series, for example, while one or two levels tie into the films, the good majorty of the levels and enemies you confront in that series are not even from the films. So, I don't think audiences would have a problem with having a new enemy to shoot up.

Afterall, don't forget that a large chunk of the people who will play the game are just playing it because it;s a game, and not because they're star wars fans- they won't care what they're shooting at so long as it gives them a challenge and has pretty graphics.
  10. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I concur with Bliv. There is more mass appeal shooting stormtroopers and battledroids than some EU only-creation like Vong. All the games like Outcast etc still have Imps and movie aliens as the most abundant bad guys.

Even KOTOR, with a bunch of new creatures etc still has Wookiees, Tuskens, Jawas, Hutts, some 'Darths' and a bunch of other stuff that consumers will easily recognise when they look at the screenshots on the box before purchase.
  11. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    I agree with 2nd. And I think that they should also do something about the terrible gameplay. I did NOT enjoy Rogue Leader at all. The ships were too slow, and you couldn't manuever to escape a bogie if your life depended on it--which it did. :mad:

2nd, I was trying to be funny while pointing out that you spelled Valin's name wrong. I failed, evidently. :(
  12. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Honestly, I forget which vowel to spell his name with...I always get the spelling mixed up between Valin Horn, Valen from Babylon 5 and your screen name ::)

I disagree about Rogue Leader's gameplay, however, I loved the game- my repetitive gameplay comments were more directed along the lines of retreading the Yavin, Hoth and Endor battles over and over.
  13. bliv Jedi Knight

star 3
    The point I was making is that Lucasarts want to have a recogniseable theme, to everyone, in their games.

This doesn't mean the early EU story such as the Rogue Squadron series, Thrawn Trilogy, Dark Empire etc. can't be used, because they contain the same style of battles as the film. That being Rebel vs. Imperial. This is a lot more appealing to many people than fighting against aliens that don't feel as they are part of Star Wars.
  14. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    No one else had problems with RL's gameplay?
  15. LottDodd Force Ghost

star 4
    Rogue Squadren was almost entirely EU... not just the "Dark Empire" World Devestator Level. It was the Bacta Wars Straight outa the Rouge Squadren Books... After Jedi... The "New Republic Era"
  16. Crix-Madine Force Ghost

star 4
    What they should really do is set the game in the "Thrawn Period". I think that would make for a great storyline, plus they already have so much material on hand, they wouldn't have to mess with it too much.
  17. Master_Y-wing Jedi Master

star 4
    Everything about RS2 was great cept for two things: not enough missions and too much movie missions. I personally liked playing as the Y-wing (duh!) in the Battle of Endor, mainly because it was probably the last major Star Wars battle with Y-wings in them.
  18. Attack_of_the_Ewoks Jedi Youngling

star 4
    the y-wings lasers suck though. it's also too slow. the bombs are the only good part.
  19. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    In RS, we got the V-Wing, which was ok, but hopefully in the next game, assuming they have post-ROTJ levels, I want E-Wings to be available.
  20. JediHobbit Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    that might be pretty cool, but GAJ has got me liking the idea of an Imp oriented game...
  21. Darth-Cadia Jedi Knight

star 1
    Heres what should happen. RS4(I mean 4 not the new one 3) should focus on the Empires POV with a few OT missions and the rest right after ROTJ. I would like to be an AT AT and stomp rebels. But here comes the big part... To be able to hook up RS4 and RS3 online! Your the empire with real imperial friends facing rebels who are real frineds. I think it cool and no ones gonna change my mind
  22. Master_Y-wing Jedi Master

star 4
    okay everything about the Y-wing is awesome. it just is! but especially with my mastery of it in flight sim star wars games. theres even a cool glitch in the battle of endor if you play as the Y-wing! just take yer lil Y-wing and RAM it right into the bridge of the star destroyer on the RIGHT without taking out the sheilds! not the left one, it wont work on that one but the RIGHT one.
  23. JustSaber Jedi Knight

star 1
    I would love to play as Luke on Endor. Speeders RULE!!! It should be like Clone Wars speeder levels but better. Regardless, can't wait!
  24. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    I want more Y-Wing bombing missions.
  25. Lanky Jedi Master

star 4
    I just thought I'd let you folks know that gamefaqs.com has RS3 listed as Rebel Strike. Kind of boring title if you ask me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.