main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by the_chosen_two, Mar 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I wonder if they include a Improved version of the Skyhook Battle from SOTE with Civilian traffic and planet backdrop or fly from Coruscant's surface to the skyhook as a bonus mission. Give a little more life to the Levels with Civilain and Neutral crafts. Make the planets more populated!!! Make you feel that you are at another world and culture. RS1 did that to some extent with Tyffera with the civilains around their buildings and with Mon Cal and few other places. The Tatoonie Training level in RS2 did a great job with wildlife but where are the people? I truely believe that the Gamecube can give life to these worlds. A Coruscant level is the Ultimate most wanted stage as for the interaction would immerse the player into the world and give a sense of urgency to the mission.

2. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    yeah kinda like the bespin mission on RS2.

3. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Cool.

RS and RSII were both pretty good. This one also sounds pretty good.

4. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    As far as I'm concerned, they can keep putting out Rogue Squadron games as long as they want to, and I'll enjoy them. It's a simple matter to keep coming up with storylines for these games... one would have to assume that in a war which lasts several years (as is the case with the OT war), there would be plenty of room to invent various operations and conflicts which went on outside the scope of the films. The Thrawn books certainly add a post-Empire dimension whereby the good ol' TIE fighters and stardestroyers could continue to figure into storylines if the OT timeframe ended up being wrung dry of possibilities.

I could really care less about the whole NJO thing... way too Star Trek for my tastes. Put me in an X-Wing and send me up against Imperial fighters with cutting-edge AI and I'll pony up every time a new game comes out. Looking forward to this one. "Rebel Strike"? Sounds like a good jumping-off point for a game as far as I'm concerned.

One thing I'd hope for this next one is that they pay particular attention to the dynamics of the explosions and of the breaking-up of doomed ships. They got the TIE fighters down pretty well last time, IMHO, but certain things like walkers went up in far more satisfying explosions in the original N64 Rogue Squadron than they did in Rogue Leader. And when the player gets nailed, let's see some death animation that's comparable to what we saw in the films... X-Wings and Y-Wings in the films would blow in a very distinctive (and, again, satisfying) way. (Think of the trench run in the original Star Wars...) The Rogue Squadron and Rogue Leader games have never quite gotten that look down.

Nitpicking? Sure. But at this point with these games gradually becoming more and more refined, my feeling is why not focus on the little things like this? After the excellent job they did on Rogue Leader, they have a very good foundation laid for further GameCube versions of the Rogue Leader series, and it's the goofy little details like this which will help really push the envelope.

5. Billy_Shears

Billy_Shears Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 9, 2002
  6. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    I hope that's not a mistake. I think Factor 5's gonna have to add options like that if the missions are gonna be very similar to the previous RS games.

I wanna see co-op and versus modes with multiplayer.

7. Cantina

Cantina Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2002
    "I wanna see co-op and versus modes with multiplayer. "

As do I.

Hey, does anyone know when/if Lucas Arts is going to unveil screen shots of this game? I thought they were going to release a batch today. This will be in playable form at E3 correct?

8. Master_Y-wing

Mar 1, 2003
    I doubt it, but that's just me. The more I think about, the more I don't wan't Yuzhaan Vong in the game. I like this idea about 'I don't care if it's post ROTJ as long as there's TIE fighters instead of coralskippers' so the Thrawn based idea sounds pretty good.

9. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    RS III: Rebel Strike screenshots

Their preview says twp player co-op, which is just fine with me. Also looks like we're back in Luke's shoes, and there's some third person action going on.

Sorry if this is redundant. I haven't been following the thread.

10. the_chosen_two

the_chosen_two Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2003
    Not reduntant, those must be the first screens on this board.

EDIT:eek:MG, this screenies are amzing. This game is gonna rock, even though it looks the same except with co-op and 3rd-person, still its gonna rock.

Hope you dont mind if I show some pics-
    OK, IT APPEARS SOME OF THEES IMAGES WONT WORK SO JUST GO TO THE LINK IF YOU CANT SEE
    [image=http://www.gamers.com/i/pics/1357345.jpg]
    ^3rd-person action, cool :D
    [image=http://www.gamers.com/i/pics/1357325.jpg]
    ^Look at all those fighters :D
    [image=http://www.gamers.com/i/pics/1357305.jpg]
    ^Co-op baby! :D
    [image=http://www.gamers.com/i/pics/1357365.jpg]
    ^speeder chase, heres the Endor level :D
    [image=http://www.gamers.com/i/pics/1357375.jpg]
    ^looks like we'll be saving some Ewoks :D
    [image=http://www.gamers.com/i/pics/1357335.jpg]
    ^"Im down here stupid"
    [image=http://www.gamers.com/i/pics/1357315.jpg]
    ^WOOKIES?!!? :D
    Why is that Stormtrooper shooting at his teammates? Could it be Luke in a Stormie outfit? Could we be fighting 3rd-person in the D-Star? :D

This game is gonna be cool :D

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow, I'm surprised they've taken you "out of the cockpit" for some levels...this might actually end up being a hybrid of Rogue Squadron and SOTE, neato! ::)

12. the_chosen_two

Jan 23, 2003
    Here's the preview

From the preview we are gonna be shotting stormies with Chewie from a 3rd person Perspective. And I think the previews hinting it will contain levels from RS:II that will contain CO-OP :D

Look like Ill be picking up the New EGM.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    "But the ultimate surprise: Expect the most souped-up two-player cooperative mode ever. Let's just say that once you play Rebel Strike's cooperative campaign with a pal, you might consider selling your used copy of Rogue Leader. You won't need it. "

Um, is it me, or does that imply Rebel Strike will also contain all of Rogue Leader in co-op form?

Especially with the "you won't need it" comment at the end... could we be gettinga two-for-one type deal here? ::)

14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    That just suggests you won't want to go back to play your old game, given the fun in the new one.

15. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I can't wait... Rogue Leader is what sold me on the Gamecube in the first place...

16. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    must play...will haunt my dreams for MONTHS now!

17. portman_is_so_fine

portman_is_so_fine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Yay, it looks as if we can play in the Death Star and on Hoth.... never done that. [face_plain]
    But I will admit the third-person perspective does seem pretty cool. Hope it will be as fun as Shadows of the Empire.

18. Master_Y-wing

Mar 1, 2003
    Amazing. Simply amazing. OMG I SAW A Y-WING I LOVE U LUCASARTS

19. the_chosen_two

Jan 23, 2003
    EGM June'03 cover

That link leads to a Matrix contest but spots the new issue of EGM with Rebel Strike on the cover :D

20. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Hey, wait a second I've already played Rogue Leader II..... when it was called Rogue Leader. Factor 5 and Capcom seem to have the same thing in common. They keep releasing the same game with a differnet name. :p Please by all thats holy, don't send me back to Hoth. Please don't make me trip any more walkers.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

21. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Read the preview. We're doing Hoth again.

22. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Ooooh. Tough crowd.

Hoth in 3rd person on Tauntauns & chucking detonators into the belly of AT-ATs.

Give them some credit... That looks awesome! :D

23. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  24. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    OMG !!!!!! [face_shocked] That's AWESOME!!!!!!!!! This is heaven!!!

Must have now!!

25. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    Well, I must say that those screenshots make me very happy indeed. No doubt many of you (like me) expected, or atleast hoped for, the incorporation of some 3rd Person sections to inject some life into this series.

Speaking of 3rd person sections, has there ever been a game where you take part in the ANH DeathStar Escape (ie- the chewie and stormtrooper screen ^) ? Maybe I'll finally get to battle Vader as Old Ben in that super-tight little corridor. Then again maybe, as is most likely, I'm getting carried away.

I just hope the PAL conversion is done quickly and I have it by Xmas or I'll have to sucumb to the desires of the freeloader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.