main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by the_chosen_two, Mar 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    Did someone really say Factor 5 is being bought by Microsoft? I hope this is just a very late and not-so-nice April fools joke... I'm scared to death!

2. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    Right now I'd take such claims with a pinch of salt.
    The Rare rumours circulated for around a year before it actually happened.
    I daresay RSIII is safely Cube Exclusive.
    Plus, let's not forget F5 are heavily tied to both LucasArts and Nintendo.
    Any idea if either company has a power-holding stake?

3. Billy_Shears

Billy_Shears Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 9, 2002
    Well this seems interesting.....

-Character models have been created perfectly. Han Solo looks great. You will be able to play as Luke Skywalker in every varioation from farm-boy Luke to Jedi.
    -Control an AT-ST through the forest in Endor, shoot the enemy and command your Ewok troops.

-Just about every scene from the Star Wars classic trilogy, including those famous lightsabre battles.

-Death star bonus level, where after you freeze Leia, you fall into the trash compactor (as the movie goes), and you gotta solve a jumping puzzle. Then when you have escpaed, you go into first person view and use your grappling hook (a la Zelda) and swing across, to "recreate fantasy".

-It won't rehash ANYTHING from RS2. E.g. you won't blow up the Death Star, and you won't tangle AT-AT's with a rope and speeders.

-HOWEVER, every single mission from Rogue Leader (including bonus missions) will be available to play in a multiplayer co-op mode.

-Speederbike missions through forest recreated. You can be on foot and hit the enemy on speederbike with your lightsabre at one point in the game.

-Landspeeder racing on Tatooine.

-Near DVD quality footage from the original Star Wars trilogy to intro/outro scenes.

-There will be a mission on Geonosis from Episode 2. The picture looks beautiful.

-Versus multiplayer mode (dogfights), and "capture the base" mode. This will be for at least two, and possibly four players.

-Kamikaze A-wing attack on a Super Star Destroyer. If you're good enough you can do it without comminiting suicide, or hit the SSD bridge.

All I want now is confirmation of a good storyline and I'm sold.

Edit: That was from EGM

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> -HOWEVER, every single mission from Rogue Leader (including bonus missions) will be available to play in a multiplayer co-op mode.<<

Ha! I called it!

This looks to be much better than I expected.

Of course "command your Ewok troops" is a phrase that can't help but make me laugh! ::D

5. DARTH-PLONKER

DARTH-PLONKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 23, 2003
    I'd like 2 c a simulator like in the MAS books where u can fly against ur buddies in X-Wings like a deathmatch and with improved AI. It would also be cool if u could choose ur character, affecting ur performance. Maybe as Luke or Corran Horn u could use The Force

6. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    This definitley looks promising. Rogue Leader was the reason I got the GC as soon as it came out.

and co-op is always fun. :D

7. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    HOWEVER, every single mission from Rogue Leader (including bonus missions) will be available to play in a multiplayer co-op mode.

I sure hope that doesn't mean you won't be able to play through the new RSIII levels in CO-OP (?).

Maybe I'll finally get to battle Vader as Old Ben in that super-tight little corridor. Then again maybe, as is most likely, I'm getting carried away.

You all have no idea how happy I am to br proved wrong upon hearing that even those famous lightsaber battles will be included. BUT, can they top Super ESB on the SNES? 8-}

Also, RBE I know exactly what you meant about Hoth. I, too, am thrilled that there shall be no more AT-AT tripping. :D

Finally, does anyone get the feeling that, with such radical changes, this game really shouldn't be part of the Rogue Squadron series?

8. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Does that mean you can use a lightsaber in the game and fight Vader :D

9. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    I believe so and hope so. Even just walking Vader round the hanger in RL was fun IMO but actually going up against him? :D

10. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Interesting... not exactly what I expected, but interesting nonetheless.

It sounds to me like this is something more akin to the old Super Nintendo SW games than it is to the Rogue Squadron series. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, mind you... those games were a blast, and I would assume that Factor 5 will deliver the goods in what is essentially a first-person version for GC.

I think it's a bit misleading to tack the Rogue Squadron name onto it, since it looks like it's more about the specific events of the movies than it is about flying missions with Rogue Squadron. But it sure LOOKS good. I certainly hope it comes together as well as it ought to, and I'm definitely digging the idea of a multi-player mode!

It'll be interesting to see how this game develops over the coming months.

11. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    Yep precisely what I was getting at Patrick. I sure hope it all comes together coz it's got the potential to bridge the generation gap in much the way Metroid Prime did with Super Metroid. I just hope the gameplay is on par with the SNES versions.

12. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    This game is sounding pretty sweet so far.

13. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    Look at page 4 I said there should be a mission where you destroy a AT-AT where you use a harpoon and your lightsabre to cut open the walker and throw in a greenade, I must be physic. And it looks great I can't wait, I'm to excited! :D

14. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I just hope the land-based combat is great. Other than that, the screens are jaw dropping.

15. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    The shots look amazing! And I'm extremely excited about the co-op option. I'm definitely getting it.

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'd still rather see a traditional Rogue Squad game with a new (or EU-based) story, but if we're stuck in the classic trilogy again, then this is probably the best thing they could possibly do. The idea of acting out the Death Star escape, the Endor ground battle (speeder bike chase especially), etc is very exciting. It's almost as if they're reverting back to a *gasp* Shadows of the Empire type of setup, with so many different play modes.

Definitely looking forward to seeing how this develops...

17. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    I think they could definitely do a Rogue Squadron game with an all-new story (i.e., outside the scope of the films) which takes place within the OT time frame. Hell, there's supposed to be what, 3 years or so between ANH and ESB? You could dream up a campaign in there somewhere, perhaps with the ultimate goal being to scout out possible sites where the Rebel Base could relocate to after the Battle of Yavin. Obviously, they'd just recently gotten to Hoth in ESB, since they were still trying to adapt the speeders to the frigid climate. There are a whole load of possibilities there. There's also the issue of new systems joining the Rebellion during that time... that could also lend itself to some pretty intense missions where the Rebels have to eliminate an Imperial presence in a system that's looking to defect.

IMHO, they could do at least a few damned good Rogue Squadron games in the OT timeframe and really not touch the events in the movies.

18. Master_Y-wing

Mar 1, 2003
    But the ultimate unanswered (as far as I know) question is, is it online? The more I see this game's screenshots, the more i wonder 'Why is it called Rogue Squadron 3 again?' Apperantly, I guess theres co-op for the RS2, but thats RS TWO. But I sure like that chicken walker scene! I just really anticipated different.

19. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    Speeder Bike + Nicely rendered forest = Jomerorgasm!

-Jomero

20. eren

eren Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    One part of me is REALLY pissed off that we're going to all the same places again..but the other part is OVERJOYED at living out what i wanted Lucasarts to do since i was a wee little kid, GRAPPLING HOOK+LIGHTSABER AN ATAT! SANCTUARY MOON GROUND MISSIONS!
    And this does look like its going towards becomeing like SOTE...hehe, the idea for Rogue Squadron (the game) came from the hoth flying bit from SOTE- "THE CIRCLE IS NOW COMPLETE"
    Man i adored those games on the SNES..i was allways really pissed off when all the games mags ranted that they were muddled and couldnt get any genre right... (they said the same for SOTE) TOTAL BS!...im SO psyched for this EVEN if we do go back to hoth n tattooine. GEONOSIS mission? i was looking forward to something like that in RL1. Remember in RS they snuck in a naboo starfighter secretly? i was hoping theyd do the same with RL but with a jedi starfighter.
    I got a PC (duh) Gamecube and XBox (talking bout this generation of computers, otherwise i got helluva lot more) and i gotta say Gamecube is really bringing back old skool gaming....PEACE

21. Master_Y-wing

Mar 1, 2003
    ok wat is SOTE? i'm seein it all over the place.

22. eren

eren Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    Shadows of the empire, the Nintendo N64 launch game set between ESB and ROTJ. They also made comics, a novel, a soundtrack and action figures based on that story line

23. Master_Y-wing

Mar 1, 2003
    dah i shoulda known. i remember that game...very strange...

24. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    I agree 100% with Eren. I'm 50/50 on this game. Ok, more like 90/10, but still. Why do we have to do movie missions again? I wish Factor 5 would give us a new story, or even an EU story.

And yet, the game looks awesome and I can't wait to play it. Is Rogue 3 officially including all the Rogue 2 levels as co-op missions? Or is that just speculation? I ask, because I've been thinking about buying Rogue Leader(I rented it once, and it was great, but too short for me to buy at full price). I might hold off on that.

It's good to see Factor 5 branch out a little, gameplay-wise.

25. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    All this new gameplay is a plesant surprise. Rogue Squadron isn't always stuck in the air. Remember Wedge's Gamble?
    I loved playing the old SNES Super Star Wars games and SOTE. After playing Clone Wars, RS3 is gonna be one hell of a game!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.