main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rogue Squadron in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Space Ranger, Aug 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2014
    Since it's safe to assume that the empire has been defeat, do you think that the Rogue Squadron will still exist? I mean, now the "rebels" is the new government and they probably have their own fleet, so they don't need the rogue squadron anymore. But if you think that their will still be there, do you think they will have huge role in the ST ? I do hope so. Also, sorry if this thread is already existing, but I didn't find anything related to that

Ps : My guess is that Rogue Leader will be Domhnall Gleeson and, even if not confirmed, his right hand will be Jack Black.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The X-Wing behind Abrams was painted blue. This makes me think that we'll see a Blue Squadron. Red Squadron was originally supposed to be Blue Squadron, so the ST might have a Blue Squadron as a tribute to this intent. Considering how the X-Wing was McQuarrie shaped, going back to the screenplay wouldn't surprise me.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  3. Jotun Denal

Jotun Denal Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Also, everything points to the Empire having not been defeated. It sounds like it still exists and remains a threat.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  4. yogacat

yogacat Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 6, 2014
    There would presumably still be a military in whatever form of government exists. How much we see them, remains the big question.

I hope we get at least scene with a squadron or two.

5. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    who will be the new Wedge?

TheBBP likes this.
  6. Jotun Denal

Jotun Denal Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Old McMicky

7. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

With Luke supposedly not immediately reachable, and Wedge (Dawson) completely unwilling to return, it would be an entirely new crew. Might as well give the new crew a new squadron to make their mark with than trying to live in the shadow of the Rogues.

Dak Oolron, Revanfan1 and starocean90 like this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Just because they have all new crews doesn't mean they can't have Rogue Squadron. Most military units have histories that go back long before their present personnel. Would you believe that I'm a Tuskegee Airman? Obviously I'm not one of the Tuskegee Airmen, but the 332nd Red Tails is still around, and I flew with them in Iraq.

9. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

I totally feel you. The Big Red 1 (Mark Hamill connection), the 82nd and 101st, that is just the Army and the list could go on, but we are talking a work of fiction where the only canonical history that we have with this unit is several minutes of film. The known and canonical history with them mostly revolves around Luke and Wedge, both who are reportedly out of action.

That said, I would totally appreciate the rumored Rogues spin-off. I would love to see a movie based on the pilots and soldiers.

Thank you for your service brother Sarge.

Sarge and Abounder like this.
  10. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    jack black in space

sure, why not

fishtailsam likes this.
  11. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    It's one of those things that can just appear without causing much of a hassle. Just use it as a callsign at one point in the space battle - fans go crazy, no one else is bothered. A nice little nod, without feeling forced or out of place.

12. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    I hoping the big space battle is cruisers and starfighters and there always room for a separate dogfight in a different part of the movie

It is 50/50 whether it will be Rogue Squadron or Red Squadron.

A nice nod, but new call signs would be good too - Star Wars specific names like Krayt Squadron or something - not Rancor Squadron though, spoken quickly in the heat of battle and that could lead to audience misunderstanding :D

Revanfan1 and CrazyOldJedi like this.
  13. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I would say that that's a very unsafe assumption. I'm willing to bet that the Empire (if it's still called that) is smaller and that a war still rages on with the coalition of liberated planets.

14. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    Come on Silly Squadron and Dinner Squadron!!!

Abadacus, Revanfan1 and Dak Oolron like this.
  15. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm sure they'll be around. It's going to feel different without Wedge however.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  16. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    [face_laugh]

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  17. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    I am totally fine with the feature starfighter squadron of the ST not being Rogue Squadron. I think those that mentioned Blue Squadron as a throwback could be right on the mark. I DO hope we get to see a live-action adaptation of the X-Wing series of novels at some point, though, be it non-episode-numbered films or in the form of a TV series. :D

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

It would mean recast Wedge Antilles or replacing the character.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  19. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I'm happy with it being a brief mention during a battle at that is it.

I would love to see RS as a BSG-style TV show, but with original stories and characters. I didn't care for the books, tbh.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    How about Rock Squadron, and they're all played by Dwayne Johnson?

21. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I like Galactica (all three of them original, reboot and bonkers adventures on Earth:D ) but I'd prefer a Star Wars TV to have a good amount of fun and colour.

22. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    I have no problems recasting Wedge, considering the long-held bad attitude Denis Lawson has held towards Star Wars. In my opinion, he doesn't deserve the character of Wedge, certainly not what he has (had?) become in the EU.

That doesn't mean I want to replace Wedge with a different character name, though, as there is just too much good stuff in the EU to just erase him, IMO. (Not saying they are going to abide by what I want, of course.)
    Blasphemy!! haha. :p

23. Madsci73915

Madsci73915 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 31, 2014
    Of course Wedge could have been killed off in the interim. And there is nothing to say that the X-wing with blue markings couldn't be part of Rogue squadron, maybe they are at the point where each pilot has his own color choices or even nose art.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.