1. Oh hai Guest!

Welcome to the RPF!

SWRPF Archive Role Playing 101

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Syrix_Kahl, Mar 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    Not for long if I ever get my reply. :D
  2. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
  3. InyriForge Force Ghost

star 5
    If the class is not full yet, I'd like to enroll. If it is, just let me know and I'll come back at a later date. No biggie. :)

In case it isn't, here's some info for a character. I can just save it if you have too many people right now.

Name: Kera D'uril
    Race: human
    Level: 1
    Alignment: Neutral Neutral
    Class: Rogue
    Abilities: Piloting-light space craft, Weapons-Blaster Pistol
    Brief Bio: A mistryl shadow guard from Emberlene, Kera hires out her services as a bodyguard or assassin.

Is that good or would I need to give more information? Again, let me know if I am too late (either in this post or you can PM me). Thanks!

~Inyri

4. DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Mitty: I don't want to assume but I think it's 2 of any Rogue specific skill or any other skill. eg: a weapon skill and a language skill OR an armour skill and a rogue: hacking skill.

Any combination you want but you can't choose another class-specific skill other than Rogue.

Make sense ?[face_plain]
  5. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    Name: Mitth
    Race: Chiss
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    Abilities: Weapon- Sniper Rifle, Weapon- Army Knife
    Brief Bio: Ex-commando of the Galactic Empire, gone Rogue as a mercenary/assassin. Still fights the Rebellion and anyone else that opposes the Empire. Will accept only high prices if target is Imperial.

EDIT: Yeah... Hey can I kill you in the RP DA? :D 8-}
  6. DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus

star 6
    You're bloody welcome to try, mate ;)
  7. snowbee-wan kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Sorry....here is the revised version

Name: Lana Kezhir
    Race: Human
    Alignment: Chaotic- Good
    Class: Force Sensitive - Ability
    Abilities: Weapon - Lightsaber, Single Bladed
    Force Sensitive- Mind Trick

Brief Bio: Lana was born on Naboo, but was sent to the Temple at the age of 1. She trained for several years before being accepted as an apprentice to Jedi Master Sano Brun. While a Padawan she demonstrated exceptional skill with a lightsaber, as well as a keen mind which allowed her to perform intricate mind tricks at a young age. She then was knighted slightly early at the age of 19, and has recently served as a Healer at the Jedi Temple as well as a diplomat. She is responsible and focused while working, but does not take her abilities seriously and is very mischievious and fun-loving when not assigned a task. This has left her in disfavor with the Council several times, but her extraordinary abilities have seemed to overshadow this and her mishaps are usually overlooked.
  8. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    I'll post my profile tomorrow. I's tiard. :p
  9. Syrix_Kahl Jedi Master

star 4
    Alright. It seems there are a few questions. And a few points I haven't made yet.

Firstly, though, here's the description of Alignments from the D&D 3rd Edition Players Handbook:

Lawful Good: A lawful good character acts as a good person is expected or required to act. She combines a commitment to oppose evil with the discipline to fight relentlessly. She tells the truth, keeps her word, helps those in need and speaks out against injustice. A Lawful Good character hates to see the guilty go unpunished.
    Lawful Good is the best alignment you can be because it combines honour and compassion.

Neutral Good: A neutral good character does the best that a good person can do. He is devoted to helping others. He works with kings and magistrates but does not feel beholden to them.
    Neutral Good is the best alignment you can be because it means doing what is good without bias toward or against order.

Chaotic Good: A chaotic good character acts as his conscience directs him with little regard for what others expect of him. He makes his own way, but he's kind and benevolent. He believes in goodness and right but has little use for laws and regulations. He hates it when people try and intimidate others and tell them what to do. He follows his own moral compass, which, although good, may not agree with that of society.
    Chaotic Good is the best alignment you can be because it combines a good heart with a free spirit.

Lawful Neutral: A lawful neutral character acts as law, tradition, or a personal code directs her. Order and organisation are paramount to her. She may believe in personal order and live by a personal code or standard, or she may believe in order for all and favour a strong, organised government.
    Lawful Neutral is the best alignement you can be becuase it means you are reliable and honourable without being a zealot.

True Neutral: A true neutral character does what seems to be a good idea. She doesn't feel strongly one way or the other when it comes to good vs. evil or law vs. chaos. Most neutrality is a lack of conviction or bias rather than a commitment to neutrality. Such a character thinks of good as better than evil. After all, she would rather have good neighbours and rulers than evil ones. Still, she's not personally commited to upholding good in any abstract or universal way.
    Some neutral characters, on the other hand, commit themselves philosophically to neutrality. They see good, evil, law and chaos as prejudices and dangerous extremes. They advocate the middle way of neutrality as the best, most balanced road in the long run.
    True Neutral is the best alignment you can be because it means you act neutrally, without prejudice or compulsion.

Chaotic Neutral: A chaotic neutral character follows his whims. He is an individualist first and last. He values his own liberty but doesn't strive to protect others' freedom. He avoids authority, resents restrictions, and challenges traditions. The chaotic neutral character does not intentionally disrupt organisations as a part of a campaign of anarchy. To do so, he would have to be motivated either by good (and a desire to liberate others) or evil (and a desire to make those different from himself suffer).
    Remember that the chaotic neutral character may be unpredictable, but his behaviour is not totally random. He is not as likely to jump off a bridge as to cross it.
    Chaotic Neutral is the best alignment you can be because it represents true freedom both from society's restrictions and from a do-gooder's zeal.

Lawful Evil: A lawful evil character methodically takes what he wants within the limits of his code of conduct without regard to whom it hurts. He cares about tradition, loyalty and order, but not about freedom, dignity, or life. He plays by the rules, but without mercy or compassion. He is comfortable in a hierarchy and would like to rule, but he is willing to serve. He condemns others not according to thier actions but according to race, religion, homeland, or social rank. He is loathe to br
  10. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    Cool.

Mitth awaits for the game to start, rubs his hands eagerly
  11. Baron_Fel Jedi Master

star 4
    Well since I don't need Basic as a skill, then my third skill will be Armor - Medium.
  12. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    Name: Halber Gessel
    Race: Human
    Alignment: Nuetral good
    Abilities: hacking, backstab
    Weapons: Spear, blaster pistol
    Brief Bio: Growing up on the laid back world, Chandrila, Halber honed his skills for slicing into computers, while not a master slicer yet, he can make life troublesome for those who cross him. His other attribute is for back pedaling himself on people who trust him. This can be good or bad depending if he's working with a disreputible character. He has little memories of his parents, only knowing that they preferred the quiet life as opposed to his adventurism.
  13. Syrix_Kahl Jedi Master

star 4
    Alrighty then. After putting much thought into the issue I've come up with a list for the first game.

DarthAttorney
    MrJango
    Baron_Fel
    Mitth
    Gay-Len Kenobi
    InyriForge

The rest of you will have to wait until the next game (hopefully this game won't take much more than a month. at least, I haven't designed it to take a long time :D ).

Now, as promised, here's your starting credits and equipment-

DA, Ki-Dara-Juni: 300 credits, Lightsaber
    MrJango, Jimb-Oh Lihm: 400 credits, Lightsaber
    Baron_Fel, Soon'tir Fel: 1,000 credits, Light Armour, Blaster Pistol
    Gay-Len, Gay-Len Oraylee: 400 credits, Lightsaber
    Mitthy, Mitth: 300 credits, Light Armour, Combat Knife
    Inyri, Kera D'uril: 800 credits, Light Armour, Combat Knife

Edit - And finally, your starting location.

Hooper McFinney's Escape; Sector 4, Area 7, Coruscant. ;)

McFinney's Escape is a popular Cantina/Resturant at the ground level of the city-planet, Coruscant. It's a rather large place, with the bar facing the patrons as they enter. Across to the left, are a number of HoloNet cubicles lined up in a row, and to the right are the tables and booths that make up the Resturant part of the establishment.

Players, you'll need to meet together in here before the storyline will progress. You won't neccessarily be introducing yourselves straight away, I'll let you know when you can do that, but for starters just familiarise yourself with the bar. Why is your character in the bar? Is your character a regular, or just a visitor? Are you having a meal, a drink, or just looking for a quiet corner to have a chat?

Let the game begin!

Edit 2 - Gay-Len, I assume that your character is an Ability-based F-S? Inyri and Mitth, are your characters just general Rogues, or are they one of the sub-classes?
  14. ForceStrong Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yep, Ability-based. And I'm here.
  15. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    To those who aren't participating, I suggest you watch and learn. :D
  16. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    Uh...I suppose I am a Rogue since I chose that class. The most D&D i've played is two games and we didnt get very far.

He pulled the cloak closer around himself. Ever since he left the Empire he wasn't too certain about people identifing him. He had a price on his head, too small to catch any bounty hunters eyes, but large enough for a greedy citizen wanting to obtain some easy money. Not that he would be easy money for anyone.

He was an ex-commando of His Imperial Majesty's Elite Forces Units. He had grown frustrated with the way his superiors treated his commandos like they were cannon fodder. He had lost one too many good men to Grand General Sk'ar and several other higher ups. So he had decided to pull out his unit and go mercenary.

Well the Empire wasn't too pleased and he and his unit has been on the run lately. Hiding from Imperial forces and looking for jobs in the meantime.

Thats why he was at the cantina now. Sitting quietly at a booth in the back, specifically chosen because of the shadows. He sat there sipping a mug of the strong smelling Fovrish ale and paying no attention to the rest of the patrons in the cantina.
  17. Baron_Fel Jedi Master

star 4
    IC:
    Soon'tir Fel went to his usual seat by the bar at Hooper McFinney's Escape. He called the bartender and asked for a glass of Merenzane Gold. Taking a sip he relaxed himself and waited for his contact. It was time to get a bounty.
  18. MrJango Jedi Knight

star 1
    Jimb-Oh Lihm sat down on his seat at the bar in the cantina, right next to a mysterious character who had just ordered a glass of Merenzane Gold.

He asked the bartender who the man next to him was, and the bartender answered:

"His name is Soon'tir Fel. I dont know much about him, but he comes here quite often, and he always sits in that seat."

Jimb-Oh looked at the man. He started to get curious.
  19. InyriForge Force Ghost

star 5
    OOC: Most likely my character is a fringe bodyguard for hire (Kinda like Shada in TTT) but she will take on a job as an assassin from time to time. She's a Mistryl. I'll change the piloting skill like you requested to Piloting-light ground vehicle.

IC:
    Kera leaned casually against the bar. She'd successfully completed one of her first assignments and had been able to send money back to Emberlene. This place looked like a good one to find her next job; as good as any other bar at least.

Having grown bored of observing from her post, she turned towards the bar and ordered a drink, blowing a strand of her auburn hair out of her eyes. "Thanks." She accepted the drink, handing over a few coins. Kera resumed her survey of the room, eyes resting on the pair at the other end of the bar for a second before moving on. Someone here had to have use for a bodyguard or assassin.
  20. DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus

star 6
    IC:

Ki-Dara-Jundi was seated at the holonet terminal closest to the bar. He didn't particularly like visiting these seedy bars but without a doubt, they had much faster holonet connections than the Jedi Temple could ever hope to have. And time was of the essence where this assignement was concerned.

"Discuss the discovey and continued colonisation of Kessel and the effects illegal smuggling of Glitterstim has had on it's eceonomic development."

Painfully boring.

He doubted he'd ever see Kessel the way he was going, Masterless as he was. But a task was a task and he had dediacted his life to the Jedi. If assignments on far flung colonies got him closer to Knighthood, then so be it. He deposited his 3 credits in the coin slot and the screen burst to life with an advertisment for Hooper MFinney's.

Ki-Dara skipped the intro and got down to his searching. Out of the corner of his eye he saw a Jedi Knight approach the bar, take a stool and order a drink. He chatted back and forward briefly with the bartender about something then sipped his drink.

"Probably off investigating some important matter for the Jedi Council, no doubt. The lucky nerf" thought Ki-Dara to himself with a little pang of envy.

He sighed audibly then tried to shut out the background buzz of the bar and refocused his attention on his search for information of Kessel.

EDIT(s): Just getting my story/mark-up's straight [face_blush] :D
  21. Syrix_Kahl Jedi Master

star 4
    Cool. Once Gay-Len posts a bit by way of entering the bar we'll be underway.

Now to a little matter which has occured to me. I was thinking through what information I have provided, and I've beguna dding new skills, etc. in preparation for the next game. Then it occured to me that I had left out a few skills that might (or might not) come in handy. Since we've really already begun, I won't add them to the list, but rather, I'm going to implement them as special class skills.

*For this game only:*

Rogues have the ability: Detect Traps, which can be used as often as needed. However, just because they can detect the traps doesn't mean they can disarm them (they'll need the disarm skill for that).
    Force Users have the ability: Detect Force. This can be used once per day per level.

Now for the skills which I have added to the skills list (both current players and those waiting should take note of these, as they are now all considered available skills):

General - Climb
    General - Swim

Force, Ability - Detect Force (available to Force, Combat as well)

Rogue - Detect Traps
    Rogue - Disarm Traps
    Rogue, Smuggler - Barter

Weapon - Lightsaber, Customised Single-Bladed (requires Weapon - Lightsaber, Single-Bladed)
    Weapon - Lightsaber, Customised Double-Bladed (requires Weapon - Lightsaber, Single-Bladed)
    Weapon - Sniper Rifle
    Weapon - Combat Knife

That's all I can think of. I'll add more later as I think of them. Any queries just ask.

Edit - Lesson 1: Character Interaction
    So, you've got yourself a character, and you've been put in a situation. You'll want (and need) to interact with your surroundings. Of course, interacting with other characters (be they a PC or an NPC) is bound to get the most information returned to you.

When you want to do something with another PC you have to remember to "keep your actions to yourself", so to speak. If we were sitting around a table in the same room, then it would be quite easy for two of you to hold a conversation. Online, it might not be so easy, especially considering time differences - let alone the implications of having a discussion between all the members of your group. Patience is a virtue - so please, be virtuous. Feel free to work out something through PM's or via an IM service. Just so long as the outcome of such an interaction between characters is made known to at least myself. If, for example, two of you are online and your characters are waiting around in a group somewhere, but none of the other players are online to add their input, then I would suggest that the two of you are online hold a "conversation" through PM/IM's and post a summary in the thread. That way, if you are discussing what should be done in your current location, the rest of your group can see what ideas have already been worked through, and perhaps offer another possible solution that hadn't yet been thought of.

Now, onto NPC's. First and foremost, I don't mind you 'creating' an NPC for a bit of interaction, such as MrJango created a bartender for the bar I have placed you all in. Seeing as all bars will undoubtedly have a bartender, and I didn't create one for you to use, there is no problem. If however, he had created an arms dealer who was selling military weapons very cheaply, then I would have to object. In short, any NPC which exists to further your characters' progressions will be created by me. If you feel the need to create an NPC then you should PM/IM me first.

Now I just hope that I haven't left anything out?

Oh, btw, FID will be assistant GM for this game. FID, do you have anything to add?
  22. Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Slipping in the entrance unnoticed, Gay-Len made her way to an empty booth. She hadn?t eaten since the day before, and that meal had proven less than stellar. But before she placed her order, she kept an eye on the dishes as they were brought out of the kitchen. After deciding one selection looked tolerably edible, she flagged down the single waiter. She had been in better establishments, but also much worse.

She surveyed the room while waiting for her entrée. She was tempted to reach out with the force to sense if anyone was watching her, but thought better of it. If in fact someone had noticed her, it was wisest to keep a low profile until their attention moved on to other interests.

Pulling the hood of her cloak further down over her eyes, she wondered what she should do next. She had come to Coruscant to find work in which she could use her talents, while still keeping them hidden from the employer. She had always found it advantageous to keep her abilities hidden, for it greatly impressed others more when she accomplished difficult tasks without any apparent assistance. She was small in stature and slim, but agile and strong. Most she encountered would underestimate her strength.

Turning her attention to the food placed before her, she smiled to herself. She would pick her next employer eventually. For now she had other concerns.
  23. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    Mitth lifted his head and let his gaze drift across the patrons of the cantina. A few more people had entered since he last surveyed the place. A couple he recognized immediately as Jedi, or possibly Jedi wannabes.

He tilted his head to the side as his crimson eyes paused on a female in a booth eating something which he couldn't recognize from here. She looked like she was trying to blend into her surroundings, trying not to be noticed. But she was noticed by him.

He continued to watch her, counting the seconds to see how long it would take her to realize someone was observing her. Not only was he looking for a job to take he was looking for people to hire and add to his roster of ex-commandos now mercenaries and assassins. To replace those he had lost on their last job for the Hutts.

He finished his drink in one final gulp and pushed the mug aside. He pulled his cloak closer around himself, hiding his features all but his glowing eyes and continued to observe the female in the booth.
  24. Baron_Fel Jedi Master

star 4
    IC:
    Hooper McFinney's Escape

Soon'tir gulped down the last of his drink. As he did this he heard his stomach grumble. He forgot that he hadn't eaten since last night.

So he called the bartender and asked him for a refill, as well as a menu. As the bartender poured the gold liquid into his glass, Fel ordered from him a nerf sandwhich.

Fel then sipped his cold drink whilst looking around the bar. There were more people now, many were hiding their faces. Being new to bounty hunting he wasn't well known, so he didn't need to cover his features.

As the hot sandwhich was put in front of him, Fel paid the sum of 10 credits to the bartender. He then took his plate and glass to one of the Holonet stations. He thought he saw the hilt of a lightsaber on someones belt, but dismissed it. Sitting down he operated the station.

OOC:Syrix, do I have to deduct the 10 credits from my sum of credits?
  25. InyriForge Force Ghost

star 5
    IC:
    Kera debated another drink. No, it would be rather foolish to get drunk, especially in a place like this. Maybe this was a dead end. There was at least one Jedi, and if they were here, most of her potential clients had probably already slipped out. Figured. Kera desperately wished for a pair of her baggy tech style pants, frowning slightly at her skin tight jumpsuit.

She glanced up as a man made his way to the holo terminal, then turned her attention back to her drink. She continued to nurse it. Was the food here even edible? Probably not.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.