main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWRPF Archive Role Playing 101

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Syrix_Kahl, Mar 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    OOC: I don't know anything about the stats system either, so I don't think I could make an intelligent vote.

IC: ?Gay-Len Oraylee. Pleasure.? she nodded at the two at the table as the young jedi stood and moved to speak with the CPF. She sat silently as they discussed strategy. She instead was listening to the conversation across the establishment. One thousand apiece wasn?t too bad, if the jedi was true to his word and had no interest in the reward. Satisfied with the news, her attention returned to her companions at the booth. They were considering infiltrating the gangs they were hired to deal with. ?Perhaps it would be best if only one of us attempted to join them," she suggested, "They might grow suspicious if four individuals all request membership within a short time.?

The waiter had returned with their orders. ?Something for you, Miss?? he asked after serving the others. She shook her head no. She preferred to keep a clear head when discussing business.

?I doubt the jedi would be a convincing thug. But we should investigate their membership composition to determine if they admit only humans.? Distrust between species had been growing in the universe as of late. Some humans where beginning to think themselves superior to what they called ?alien? races. These gangs might have formed due to that growing tension. ?Maybe we should begin by asking the CPF for anything they already know about the groups in question.?

2. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    IC:
    Kera swirled her drink casually. "The Jedi won't be able to perform any of their initiation rituals anyway. Probably goes against his oathes and such." She had no idea if Jedi even HAD oathes, but it seemed like a Jedi thing. "So, if we're going by that and the bias of the gangs, that leaves you and me as gang hopefuls, Oraylee."

3. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    McFinney's Arms Cache

The following are available for purchase from Hooper's storeroom.

Combat Knife - 25 cr.
    Blaster Pistol - 50 cr.
    Blaster Rifle - 125 cr.
    Light Armour - 50 cr.
    Flak Armour - 120 cr.

He'll also buy some weapons and armour off you, for about half their selling value.

--

Stats: I had purposely left stats out of the game, since I didn't want to pile on too much at the beginning. I'm happy to continue without them. It will probably make things easier for those who are new RPers.

That's all for now, I'm working through some more stuff to put up (by way of lessons, and (I think) a bit of game related info. I'll hopefully have that up by tonight (AEST).

4. InyriForge

Jan 24, 2002
    IC:
    Now Holonet-Man was talking to the bartender. Something was obviously going down. Kera frowned, all she had on her was a knife. She'd heard rumors that the owner also sold side arms to turn some extra profit, maybe that's what the Holonet-Man was speaking to the bartender about. Or he could just want another drink. 'Well, I will just have to play the innocent act.'

Kera finished her drink and excused herself from the table. Approaching the bar, she asked, "I was wondering if you could give me some information. You see, my friends," she beckoned back towards the booth, "and I, well, some of us ran into a slight problem with customs here, or the CPF there. You know how it is." She waved her hand casually like it was no big deal. Kera tried to be relaxed and act as if she was somewhat civilized. "The thing is, some of us need...well...better protection against the Coruscantan underworld, if you get my drift. We were wondering if you happened to, say, know of a decent arms dealer who took creds, no questions asked." Kera glanced over at Holonet-Man, wondering if he had listened. Hoping he wasn't an undercover CPF agent, she shot him a smile before turning back to the bartender.

5. Baron_Fel

Baron_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    IC:
    An attractive woman came up to Fel and Hooper. "I was wondering if you could give me some information," she said. "You see, my friends," she turned to the booth that she came from, "and I, well, some of us ran into a slight problem with customs here, or the CPF there. You know how it is. The thing is, some of us need...well...better protection against the Coruscantan underworld, if you get my drift. We were wondering if you happened to, say, know of a decent arms dealer who took creds, no questions asked."

Just great, another complication. Fel thought to himself. But the question was aimed at Hooper. Fel waved the woman away. "Hey, can't you see that were busy here, lady. Maybe you could come later," Fel turned back to Hooper.

OOC:Syrix, I would like a blaster rifle and a combat knife. I think I have enough credits for this.

6. InyriForge

Jan 24, 2002
    IC:
    'How charming,' Kera thought sarcastically. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt anything important." She smiled at Hooper. "Maybe when you're done talking to this gentleman, here, you could come talk to me. I'll be sitting over there in that booth." She pointed back to where she had just come from.

7. MrJango

MrJango Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 17, 2002
    having rested a little and washed up, Jimb-Oh Lihm left the restrooms and went back to the bar to eat his wampa steak. It was really good, but the sprunzx drink tasted wasnt satisfactory. After the recent disturbance with the gang members and the CPF officers, he decided not to complain. Besides, Hooper McFinney was occupied talking to Soon'tir Fel and some woman, and no other bartender was present at that time.

He quickly finished his meal, since it was relativly small, and headed for the door. outside the bar, he could see the blood trails from the gang fight which had colored the street pavement bright red.

How could people beat each other up without any reason like that. it was absolute madness in his opinion. he started thinking about all the lives he might be sparing if he joined in the mission after all, but dropped the thought as soon as he shook his eyesight away from the bloody street.

What was he gonna do now. he didnt want to go home yet. it was too early, all of the house droids couldnt have left yet. he didnt like being around all their buzzing and beeping while they were cleaning and doing everything else they were programmed to do. that was why he was here now. he went out every night the droids were cleaning, which was once a week.

he glanced inside the restaurant again. Soon'tir, Hooper and the woman were still talking, but Soon'tir didnt look pleased with the womans presence. not another fight again. Jimb-Oh turned around and went to a taxi speeder hovering at the side of the road.
    "Going somewhere?" the driver asked.
    "Not sure," Jimb-Oh answered.

8. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Ki-Dara thanked the CPF officers for their help regarding the reward and they left the bar without any further trouble. He turned back to the bar to see D'uril standing next to a surly looking man who had been in the holonet booth next to his earlier. She seemed to be on the back foot in a developing situation, maybe having disrupted some sensitive talk as often happens to the unwary in dives such as these.

Ki-Dara approached the bar as Jedi Knight Jimb-Oh Lihm finished his light meal and walked to the exit of the bar.

The young Cerean was interested in information about the street gangs and Hooper McFinney was clearly the man to see about such a matter. But from the vibe he was getting, now was not the time for these enquiries.

"Is everything OK here, D'uril? I think we should leave these gentlebeings to themselves for the moment. Mr. McFinney, when you have a moment our group would appreciate any information you can spare on the gangs we aim to eliminate. We'll be in the booth over there with Dire Wolf and Gey-Len Oraylee"

Ki-Dara motioned to the booth with left hand, keeping his right hand close to the lightsaber hilt on his belt.

He put his hand on D'uril's shoulder.

"Come along, D'uril."

9. Baron_Fel

Jul 28, 2001
    OOC: Gee, you're making me sound like the bad guy here. Oh well, it fits with my alignment anyway.

10. InyriForge

Jan 24, 2002
    OOC: Nah, I'm being a bit of a b****. You aren't the bad guy.

IC: 'I shouldn't of drank that extra drink.' Kera allowed the Jedi to lead her back to the booth. "Sorry, I was just trying to find out someplace to get a blaster. CPF confiscated mine a few nights back." She looked at the Jedi. "I didn't mean to start too much trouble." She sighed, sitting down. In the future, she'd have to avoid drinks with rather high alcohol contents.

11. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    Fel - the purchase is complete.

DA, Inyri, Mith and FS (Hence forth refered to as members of the party.

McFinney returns from his storeroom with Soon'tir Fel and takes the appropraite credits. He wipes down the bar, looks around. The place is relatively empty after the gang members burst in, so he makes his way over to the corner booth.

Hooper: If you're interested in buying something, then you'd better come out the back and have a look.

He heads back to the bar and waits.

--

Lesson 2: Interacting with your environment.

So, you've started interacting with other characters? But there's more to life than having conversations. You're in a whole universe full of weird and wonderful things. I'll provide you with a description of the places you enter, but it's up to each of you to investigate and explore each area as much, or as little, as you want. Don't expect that every room will be mapped out in intricate detail, and don't expect that you'll have to seach thoroughly thropugh every room in order to progress, but keep in mind that you might have to do a bit more than hack and slash your through the game.

Lesson 3: Experience.
    You will have noticed the line on the character sheet "Level: 1". Quite simply, that means that your character is level 1 in their particular class. As your character gains levelsthey will be granted extra skills, hitpoints (hp) and other various abilities associated with their class. How does one gain levels? By gaining enough experience points. And gaining experience? Well, that's as easy as solving a problem, completing a quest, defeating an enemy, and I'll also be allocating (smaller amounts of) experience to players who role play their character particularlt well. I'll be recording the experience that your charcter gains. If you wish to know how much experience you have/need to level up, then just PM me. Currently everybody is on 0 exp, needing 1000 exp to level up.

Lesson 4: The Force
    I had to put a bit of thought into designing the Force Users in this game, and, to an extent, I still am. Anyway, I've finally decided on a name for Force Users that I'm going to stick with. I'm calling the "Sensates" - as in, they are Sensative to the force.

My second point on sensates is on factions. Currently, we have three Jedi playing in this game, which is fine. But, naturally, my games aren't going to be in *the* Star Wars Universe, rather my own little alternate universe. In future games, sensates will not be restricted to being either a Jedi or a Sith - although both factions will still exist. I will introduce a few new factions, which are like sub-divisions of the sensate class. When playing a sensate, the player must choose a faction (or guild) to associate themselves with. I will use the Jedi as an example. The Jedi are a guild of sensates; they allow both Ability and COmbat based sensates to join, but their member ship is restricted, the character must be any Good (LG, NG, CG) or Lawful Neutral in order to join. The Jedi and Sith will not hold quite the same animosity between each other, since their will be other force guilds, including (but no limited to) The Guild of Healers (Ability based, Good and Neutral only) and The Order of True Balance (Neutral Only). I will also incorporate special abilities available to members of each guild that are unavailable to members of other guilds. If players wish to create a guild for their character, then please PM/IM me first.

--

I don't think I've forgotten anything. I'm working on rule for combat right now. I'll have them up soon-ish. :)

Oh, and to the two solo players: keep playing. I've got some ideas for the both of you. Might I suggest that you make your way to the Jedi Conucil Building, MrJango, and Fel, you might want to consider heading 'down town' to The Red Moisture Plant (well, it's not the Moulin Rogue, but I don't think they have windmills in Star Wars ;) )

Have Fun.

12. MrJango

Mar 17, 2002
    the taxi driver was losing his patience, Jimb-Oh could see and sense it in him.
    "Look sir, are you going or not?"
    Jimb-Oh looked at him. "Yes, lets go."
    He got in the taxi speeder and it hovered high up in the air, away from the bar.

there was no return now, he was out of the gang mission and that was that. but where would he go? not home, that was clear, and he had already eaten. After much consideration, he decided to go to the jedi temple and find something to do there. maybe look something up in the library, or see if some of his friends were there. yoda was probably there, along with the rest of the council. he could always talk to them if they weren't busy with something important.

the speeder accelerated after coming up on a path without trafic. the jedi temple was only a couple of minutes away.

13. Baron_Fel

Jul 28, 2001
    OOC: Hmm, the Red Moisture Plant? Might have some stuff to do there.

IC:
    Hooper McFinney's Escape

As soon as he received his newly purchased weapons he poketed them into his jacket and thanked Hooper. He made his way out of the Escape.

So much for a bounty, Fel thought to himself. He looked around him at the dozens of airspeeders and spacecraft moving along their lanes. He had another place to go to now.

He went to a taxi stop and waited for an airtaxi. One that was piloted by a Devaronian stopped, and the driver asked him. "Where do you wish to go fine sir?"

"To the Red Moisture Plant please, as fast as this taxi can go," Fel replied. He got in and the taxi entered the traffic that was symbolic of Coruscant.

14. InyriForge

Jan 24, 2002
    IC:
    Yes! A chance to get a weapon that she could use without getting too close for comfort. "Sorry to have disturbed you earlier. I'd be interested in purchasing a blaster pistol. I heard you may know of someplace I could get my hands on one, no questions asked."

15. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    IC: ?Hmm,? she wondered, ?purchasing a new weapon would be wise. Very few gang members have lightsabers, and seeing one would immediately reveal to all that I am force sensitive.? She had used a blaster before, but she preferred the dual advantage a lightsaber provided.

Gay-Len stood. ?Perhaps we should purchase our wares now and continue our strategizing elsewhere.? She gestured to the barkeep who had returned to his counter. ?He?s waiting. D'uril is interested in a blaster, as am I, among other things. How about you two? Will you be joining us in the back??

16. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    "Yes." Mitth replied and stood to follow the others to purchase weapons.

17. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Ki-Dara finished off his non-alacholic beverage and jumped up to follow Dire Wolf into the secretive back room, so his allies could attain some weapons that would help them should it come to a fight.

Nearing the door, he quickly questioned Hooper about the gang.....

"Mr McFinney, any information you could provide for us about this local gang would be entirely beneficial to our task. Can you tell us where we might be able to find their club house or where they meet? Who is their leader? How many are they and what types of weaponary they may have access to?"

TAG: Syrix

18. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    DA,
    McFinney turns to the young jedi.
    Hooper: I don't know a lot about the gang m'self. Though I hear tell that they're known as "The Black Heart". They sound to be a pretty ruthless gang - at first, the killings seemed like a show of strength from a new gang. But they've been going up against some of the larger organisations, like The Shadows and The Coruscant Thieves Guild. That's all I can tell you. Nobody knows who their leader is, but no doubt he's brave to lead a guild like this. If you really are going to try and find them, I'd suggest that you go and talk to the CPF to find out where they operate. They don't usually show up around here, though I've heard they run something over in Area 2, near the Spaceport there. Like I said, you're better off seeing the CPF if you want to find out more.

--
    members of the party - what do you want to buy?
    MrJango - The air taxi arrives at the Jedi Temple and you depart.
    Fel - the taxi arrives at the club, fast. You get out, and see that there's a line up to the door, which is guarded by a bouncer.

--
    Lesson 5: Regarding Weapons and Equipment.
    I'm pretty sure that most of you have worked this out yourselves, but Weapons can not be used by your character unless they have the correct skill. Armour works in mostly the same way. However, if you have a higher skill, but not a lower skill, then you can still use lower armour. For example; Soon'tir Fel has the Armour - Medium, skill. This means he can wear Light, Flak, or Medium armour, with no penalty. He can still wear "heavier" armour, but he won't gain the full benfit of the armour's protection, since he doesn't have the skill (which reflects both the wearers ability to put the armour on correctly and ability to still move about in more restructive armour).

So basically: You can still wear armour/use a weapon if you don't have the corresponding skill, but you won't gain the full protection/deal full damage, etc and you may possibly gaina a penalty - eg: you might accidently overload the blaster rifle, causing it to blow up.

Lesson 6: Combat.
    Your character has a name and a purpose. They've met other characters and have had a good look around their environment. They're fully kitted out and ready for adventure.
    But what sort of adventure doesn't involve a little scuffle, or a firefight?
    Combat will work thus:
    When your character (or the party) encounters someone hostile I'll decide the order of combat. A number of factors will come into play here - first, whether or not once side has been caught unawares. If you come up behind someone, then you'll more often than not have an advantage of surprise. This means that your character will get to strike first. If however, you find yourself in the reverse situation, then you character will have to face an attack before hand. When it comes down to no side having an advantage (or working out what order each side fights in) I'll roll (dice) to see what the order is. Here's an example:

No Advantage - The party (Ki-Dara, Gay-Len, Mitth and Kera) run into a room with 4 gang members in it. Both groups see each other immediately, so no one is caught unawares. I'll roll (probably a d6 [6 sided die]) for each person involved to see what order they fight:
    Gang#3 = 6
    Gang#2 = 5
    Ki-Dara = 4
    Gang#1 = 4
    Gay-Len = 2
    Gang#4 = 2
    Mitth = 1
    Kera = 1

Now, a couple of characters have the same result, so I'll roll for them again.
    Ki-Dara = 1
    Gang#1 = 6
    Gay-Len = 5
    Gang#4 = 4
    Mitth = 4
    Kera = 5

So the final order is:
    Gang#3
    Gang#2
    Gang#1
    Ki-Dara
    Gay-Len
    Gang#4
    Kera
    Mitth

Character Advantage - Soon'tir Fel ran quickly and quietly through the shiny steel corridors. He turned a corner and noticed two guards a little further down. They had his back to him and were heading away. He pulled out his sniper rifle and took aim.

Quite obviously Fel has the advantage here. He gets first strike, but I still need to roll for the two guards to see in what order they react:
    Soon'tir Fel

19. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    OOC: Should we RP the back room? Or just skip ahead?

20. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    Well, we'll not exactly RP the back room, but we won't skip it. If ever a character buys something from a shop, you don't have to go into great detail. You don't even have to have your character say what they want to buy IC (In Character), you can simply tell me OOC (Out Of Character) when your character is in a shop.

21. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    OOC: Okay. I meant skip ahead as in, we are done shopping and have already exited the back room and returned to the bar.
    Well, I'm gonna want a Blaster Pistol and Light Armour. I'll wait for everyone else to list what they want before I continue.

22. MrJango

Mar 17, 2002
    with a graceful leap, Jimb-Oh Lihm jumped out of the taxi and landed on the pavement right infront of the jedi temple. the taxi speeder took off and he started to walk towards the entrance.

when he got there, he opened the door and went inside. it was late at night, and not many people were there. but suddenly, he almost tripped over a small object on the floor. he picked it up, and saw that it was yodas cane.

why was it lying there? where was yoda. he couldnt be far, since he had trouble walking without his cane. syddenly, he heard a familiar voice from inside one of the rooms ahead of him. "My cane ive lost! need it i do."

That type of speech was not to be mistaken. "Master yoda!"
    yoda slowly came out into the corridor and Jimb-Oh gave him his cane.
    "Master Jimb-Oh, what brings you here?"
    "I had nothing to do, master, so i came here to see you."
    "Nice that was of you, but problems we have!"
    "what kind of problems!"
    "Come. See the rest of the council you will."

yoda started walking through the corridor away from Jimb-Oh, who followed him curiously. what was going on?

23. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    How do we learn a skill?

Mitth looked over the selection of weapons. "I'll buy off of you a set of knives. Total of four knives." He glanced up at Hooper and gave him the proper amount of credits, then stashed his weapons in his boots and sleeves.

He then turned away so that the others can purchase their weapons. "While you ladies barter with McFinney here, I'll be getting us a transport."

He then walked outside and hailed a six seater hovertaxi. The driver, a scruffy Bothan leaned over to listen to him. "Where to, bluey?"

"Don't call me that." Mitth growled. "I have three more friends that will be joining us."

TAG: Everyone Involved

24. InyriForge

Jan 24, 2002
    OOC: I know you all know this by now, but I would like to buy a blaster.

IC:
    Ladies?! What was he implying by that? Kera distastefully watched the alien leave. "I'm only in need of a blater pistol and some power paks." She pulled the sole away from the heel of her boot and stashed her combat knife there, pulling out a wad of credits.

25. Baron_Fel

Jul 28, 2001
    OOC:How much does a ride in a airtaxi cost?

IC:
    Red Moisture Plant

Fel opened the taxi's door and paid the driver, as well as giving him a 2 credit tip. Fel looked at the entrance and the long line with a pained expression. He had been here twice before and the lines were always long. He wasn't in the mood for one now.

He made his way to the Twi'leki bouncer at the door. Using slang he had learned not long before, he said slyly, "How's it doin'. Good business?"

The bouncer only smiled his sharp teeth and said loudly, "Get into line like everybody else."

"Look I'm a bounty hunter and I don't have time for nonsense coming from somebody of the likes of you," Fel replied slowly. "Why don't I give you a few credits to make your sorry life worthwhile," Fel said and put his hand into his pocket to fetch some credits.

He pulled out 20 credits and looked up at the barrel of a blaster pistol. His instincts told him to pull out his own blaster pistol and end the bouncer's sorry life. If for nothing more than pride. But did he need to? Was it worthwhile? No, It was against what his teachers had taught him.

"Hey, there's no need for that. I'll give you 5 credits and we can all forget this nonsense," he said reaching out and putting the credits into the bouncer's pocket. He turned around and made his way to the end of the line. He would have usually left, but that wouldn't be good for his reputation. He would wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.