main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Madison, WI Role Playing Games

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Rick_Sith, Jul 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick_Sith

Rick_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 2, 2002
    Just out of curiousity, how many of you play or have played any type of RPG and what type do/did you play?

I play a free-form style RPG, which means that there are no stats or dice being used. It's pretty much all imagination. There is still a Game Master involved, though the games I'm involved with don't use that term, it's still the same.

I'd be interested in hearing what the rest of you have done. Maybe we can get together and play a game for one of our "Official" meetings. :)

2. Rick_Sith

May 2, 2002
    OK, I know someone here has to have played an RPG in their life. But, if you don't want to talk about it, then, ok. :D

3. Starra

Starra Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2002
    [color=7030FF]I am curently in three RPG's The Dark Forces here and the Dark Forces on the GS and the Jedi academy on the GS.
    GS=Galactic Senate[/color]

4. ROGUE_NINER

ROGUE_NINER Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 2002
    I've only been in free flowing games, no real rules and such.

5. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    Woah people never come to these boards... im used to the lit forums where if you post one day, its gone in 2 hours if no ones posted in yours yet... Here its been months...

But in response to this thread,

In Spain, where i last was living thanks to the military, I had a group of friends that played SW RPG's just because it was cool. Theyre still doing it... and without me the little pieces of....
    Anyway, we had tons of fun. We never did the dice thingie... We had a gamemaster, and of course everyone called him the "Gaymaster" since it sounds the same.. And we DID use dice before starting out the game, and decided who was to be a jedi. We started the whole thing by choosing a planet on a big map of Billy's, the gaymaster. I chose Phu, and called it Poo, as did everyone else. Then from there, he gave us about 10000 creds each, and let us buy ships and all that, and all the ships were VERY cheap compared to what they would have been irl. After that, we all decided what we wanted to do for a living, and we could also mine stuff from the planet to sell on either the blackmarket, or on the holonet and so forth... If we were Jedi, we couldnt do anything about it yet becuase we were going chronologically, and at the time of CoPL, and no one would teach us. so we had to find alternate ways to train.

All in all, it was fun as hell. I wouldnt mind at all doing it again. But over here in dead beat Wisconsin, no one i know likes star wars enough to do something like that, and if they do like star wars, theyre true geeks, and i wouldnt hang out with them enough to do it.

I know no ones gonna read this for about a year or so... but oh well. I contributed...

And Does anyone go to Central Westosha Highschool or live near Salem?

6. ToxicNed

ToxicNed Grand Poobah of Madison WI - FF CR star 4

May 2, 2002
    Time to prove you wrong. Someone read it before the year time frame you placed upon it. :p

To answer your last question: No, I didn't go to Westosha High School, and I don't live near Salem. I live in Middleton, a small town just next to Madison.

Also, people do come to these boards, but since Madison is relatively new, we don't have that big of a following yet. Just because nobody posts doesn't mean that nobody stops by and reads the posts. ;)

7. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Yeah...

M

8. ROGUE_NINER

Jan 16, 2002
    Yeah I tend to come by everyday

9. Rick_Sith

May 2, 2002
    DarthBobbalot,

Where in Spain were you before and what places did you visit while there?

Also, I live in Madison on the East Side and never went to high school... Just kidding. But I didn't go to the high school you mention.

As for no one roleplaying and geek comments, I am sometimes considered a geek, and I do roleplay. I would hang out with anyone who had the time to spend with me and was upbeat. So if you are ever in Madison and want to hang out, just try me. :)

And... ToxicNed is correct. We are very new here and are still trying to gather members who can post and attend events we are planning. So don't dispare. People will read your posts here.

10. DarthBobbalot

Mar 5, 2002
    Where exactly IS Maddison? Ive been posting a bit in The Maddison, and Milwaukee threads asking the same question, if anyone lives by me... I live in Salem, and its basically by Illinois... I probably wouldnt be near maddison anytime soon, becuase i THINK that Maddison is far upstate than i am... But anyway...

I lived in Spain because of the Millitary defining my dad's life and everyone else in my familly. We lived on a small American base near Gibraltar, actually more close to the Atlantic, its on a little point at the bottem left of the country. Other than spain, i visited Poland for a baseball little league championship thing for two weeks where we got 3rd out of 12 teams about... But in spain its a lot different than America... EVERYONE smokes... and all the beaches are nude... :D
    The streets are mainly all cobblestone in cities, and the police will see about 3 people, a dog and a matrice on a moped going down a 30kps street at 50kps and not care. However, If you are wearing a helmet, ON your head, as spanish people tend to wear it on their elbows just to bypass the law, and are going just 5kps over the speed limit, AND are American, they will pull you over. Kinda sucks, really...
    I used to live in Washington, Okinawa (Japan) and San Diego. The military usually moves us every three years or so. So after highschool, ill be out of the house to go move on my own and stay there for either college or to make a living then college...I dunno tho.
    Any way,
    Where do all of you guys meet up, if anywhere near Illinois...

And just out of curiosity, because we did it couple times in spain, has anyone here done any mock 'lightsaber' fighting? It was hellafun, except the part where our fingers got bashed in when the sticks fly down the broom sticks shaft... in the real thing.... Lightsabers dont slide down and chop eachothers fingers off... But boy, we could definitely feel it this time...
    Man that was fun... I wish that i could do sword fighting all the time. That is one of my dreams to be able to do... Swordplay, not this fencing crap where they are retreating every feint, but like in ep. 1, with darth maul and his double bladed lightsaber... Man. I tried use the regular sized one as a double one when i was doing the mock fight with my friends, and it just didnt work out that well...
    Does anyone do that?

11. ROGUE_NINER

Jan 16, 2002
    Madison happens to be the capital of the state, its only about an hour and a half north of the border. Thats how long it takes me anyway. About 90 miles west of milwakee.

12. Rick_Sith

May 2, 2002
    Madison is Wisconsin's capital, as Rogue Niner points out, and is spelled with 1 "d" not 2.

If I remember right, the base you described in Spain sounds like Rota, but there were so many small ones in that area too.

I was in Spain years ago. Also in the military, but not because of my parents. It was all me.
    I was at Torrejon AB near Madrid. I did my share of traveling in Spain, but never to the south coast. And oh, by the way, not ALL beaches in Spain are nude.
    Just about everyone smokes and drinks there though. And the larger cities do have asphalt roads and highways.

Anyway, I didn't find Salem on the Wisconsin map. It must be quite small. But if you ever get to Madison, let us know so we could meet up.

13. lady_tundra

lady_tundra Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2002
    I played Vampire: The Masquerade once, but other than that the only RPG's I play are on the computer... like the infamous EverQuest, and upcoming Star Wars Galaxies ;)

ladytundra

14. ToxicNed

May 2, 2002
    Rick, I think the Salem that you're looking for is near Pleasant Prairie. MapQuest is your friend. ;)

Lady Tundra, I'm looking forward to Star Wars Galaxies also, but I want to wait a couple of months after its released before buying it. Just to make sure they've got all the bugs out.

15. DarthBobbalot

Mar 5, 2002
    Yeah, Salem is near pleasant Prarie, Paddock Lake and a few others... It is quite small indeed...
    Im almost totally sure that i wont be in the Madison (one d...) area any time soon, so dont plan anything... sorry. What im really looking forward to is Knights of the Old Republic. That looks awesome.. And if its supported by Xbox Live later, then that might sway me to getting Live.

16. DarthBobbalot

Mar 5, 2002
    Hey all, its been a while since ive visited this forum, and just thought id pop up again in this thread. Does anyone ever get together to do an rpg here or there? I actually havent been at this site, theforce.net for a while, but i recently picked up vector Prime, and got back into star wars mode, and my life has been dictated by it again. And where is it that you all meet?

17. ToxicNed

May 2, 2002
    Yes, I play in two different D&D campaigns. I also run a Star Wars campaign.

18. mcolsch

mcolsch Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2003
    I played D&D 3rd Edition for awhile, as a DM. I got tired of spending hours setting up adventures, and then listening to a few of the players complaining about stuff or doing *extremely* stupid things. Just lost interest after that.

My wife and I have been following the developement of Star Wars Galaxies for over a year or so.. (We've had it pre-ordered for several months now) Totally psyched about SWG!

I plan on being a human, male, smuggler, named Toryn Farr. My wife will be Twi'lek female, droid engineer(primarily), named Jada Farr.

That is... of course... assuming that my name runs through the name filter.

-Toryn Farr

19. lady_tundra

lady_tundra Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2002
    W00T! Soooo excited about SWG! Glad to see others here looking forward to it as well. It'd be fun to meet ingame too. :)

ladytundra

20. ToxicNed

May 2, 2002
    My plan is still to wait a few months to let Verant get a good portion of the bugs out of the system. Then I'll join in, get my first character to be a Jedi (by that time, there should be lists on the steps needed to be taken to become a Jedi) then go on a rampage killing all the cute little Ewoks in my mad quest to become the third Sith Lord and unbalance the Force!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.