main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Roleplayed" (2006) - RELEASE THREAD!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Chad_Peter, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chad_Peter

Chad_Peter Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 9, 2000
    Hi guys! I rarely make a stop in here, as you know, but I check in from time to time, and I know most of you from np2k anyhow.

I've just wrapped my latest flick! It's called "Roleplayed" and clocks in at about 15mins. It's got some rough language and an intense theme to it, so it might not be for the faint of heart and definitely not kids! ;) It's a dark comedy about ROLE PLAYING (you know, like Dungeons & Dragons).

I hope you enjoy! I'd love to hear your thoughts, good or bad. Thanks! Drop on by the official thread here!

"Roleplayed" (2006) - RIGHT CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

135 MBytes - H264. Quicktime 7 required.
    15 minutes running time

This is my first completed short film since "Ewan Me".

--Chad Peter
    NP2k.com - Filmmaking Forums

Fixed links.

2. Kij421

Kij421 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2005
    Ok, well, since no one else will be polite enough to even say they're downloading it... :p

I watched it, but the file became corrupted at 10:24. QT shuts down saying there's some buffer overrun. So, I watched up until it got REALLY weird between Chris's character and Katie (she licks his face, and that's way too close for siblings to be...), and now I don't know how it ends...

3. planetname

planetname Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2004
    Overall, very well done. The camera angles, the lighting, the acting, the story (with the exception of the comment below) was all really very good. Good job.

Critiques: THEY'RE SIBLINGS! THAT'S JUST WRONG!! [face_shame_on_you]
    also, the end part felt drawn out.

4. TrowaGP02a

TrowaGP02a Jedi Master star 4

Dec 24, 2004
    Agreed. It was crazy and awesome and gross. I loved the writing.

No de-interlacing? But why?

5. HTS_HetH

HTS_HetH Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Man, I tollay love this film, great overall look and all of the actors did a great job. Nice ending, it really gave me some good laughs. Two thumps up!

6. Chad_Peter

Aug 9, 2000
    Thanks for the comments, guys. And michael, thanks for fixing whatever busted links there were.

-SPOILERS-

Yeah, the whole....brotherly love thing gets people. heheheh... I see it as more of a she's doing it because she's evil and trying to get out of the situation - at any cost, especially if it disturbs her brother. I don't have a sibling, so this doesn't bother me that much. ;)

-END SPOILERS-

7. Krintar

Krintar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    Hah, that was awesome. A bit disturbing for a little while, but it ended up gold. I'm totally showing this to my group on Wednesday :p

EDIT:
    Personally, that reminded me a little of Not Another Teen Movie.

8. Chad_Peter

Aug 9, 2000
  9. Chad_Peter

Aug 9, 2000
    //shameless bump//

10. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Mmmmm, incest...

I really like the lighting and acting in particular, in this. And Phelan is teriffic especially; the guy just makes me laugh in the same way that many great actors can do, by being completely serious looking.

11. Med_21B

Med_21B Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2004
    That was great. Everything about it was technically well done; as others said, the lighting stuck out in particular and the acting was also well met.

Nice little short. I've never seriously roleplayed before, but I still think I got most of the jokes. It was written universally enough to where you don't have to know about roleplaying to get the jokes.

Kudos. Very well done sir.

_Max

12. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    I'll download this when I get home. Looking forward to it.

13. StoyBoy720

StoyBoy720 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Finally got the chance to see this thing.

-Excellent cinematography
    -Very well lit
    -Very decent acting all around
    -The "brother/sister" thing mentioned above didn't bother me. It worked for the moment. A bit creepy, sure, but it worked well.
    -The PSA section with just Erin and Steve dragged a bit too long. It just seemed to be too much time spent on the same joke until Chris and Mark were brought back into the scene to liven it up again.

All in all, great piece of work!

14. Chad_Peter

Aug 9, 2000
    Yeah, Ryan... I agree. Oh Phelan, such a loveable lump. lol...

I should have put something like, "Starring two of the four Digital Llamas!" Aye!

15. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    I dug it. Although I must say, I can't tell if it really is an homage to gamers or a tongue-in-cheek knock on them. I've met those guys before. They really are a scary bunch if you are not in the mode that they are.

Acting was great. Dialogue was great. I loved the guy sitting on the couch being all insecure all the time. He was actually my favorite character.

I don't quite get why most of the characters were out of focus most of the time. Hanel was the only one who was sharp. Is there something to that? Or, perhaps, just maybe, I'm needing glasses. It just seemed like everyone but him was blurry.

One other thing of note is the sound. True STEREO! I was listening through headphones, and got that true "where in the room is that coming from" kind of feel. Very well done!

16. Mircat

Mircat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2005
    OK, I've heard of some crazy things to get the 'hot chick make out scene' but pick another fantasy!! Never thought I'd be grossed out by a hot chick acting hot. . . anyway There was a bit o noir in the town of noir. . .or something like that

- The Cat

17. FruityTooty

FruityTooty Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2005
    By the way, all of you folks who liked Roleplayed, check out the NP2k forums. Register, enjoy the fun. Lots of movies getting made, lots of creative types, in various stations in their quest to be paid making movies. We're enjoying a nice little influx of newbies, so you won't really stand out too much, but other than that, it's a pretty tight knit little group...good if you've been looking for a new filmmaking board to get involved with.

Also a good place to release your movie projects.

so, yeah. hit us up. :)

18. beafet

beafet Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 12, 2001
    NP2K- Now with allegedly Hot Chicks!

[face_plain]

19. AzerNik

AzerNik Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Heh, finally got around to downloading and watching this.

Funny stuff. The couple times I've done roleplaying the DM wasn't like that, thankfully, but I know some people who would be like that. I didn't find the brother/sister thing to be too icky either, but maybe I'm just weird.

I'll have to share this with some other folk. Enjoyed it!

20. Lord2

Lord2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2006
    The end was okey for me,
    the acting was very well done. The lighting wasn't bad either.
    Excellent work, man!

(you must be really proud, get a nice comment from Ryan-W)!

21. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Funny, I just started Warhammer Fantasy RPG today.

Downloaderising.

22. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Preaty sweet movie guys!

Please save the Nerds. The face lick was abit odd but fit in well. I did sit there and say 'wait, she didnt roll for that!' when she trying to get past the gates. But the end made up for it.

Nice filck, Im impressed.

23. Chad_Peter

Aug 9, 2000
    Well, actually the whole point of the movie was to see if I could get Ryan to post an angry dislike of the movie, and then have him walk the two blocks to my house just to cut me down with a saber. True story.

Thanks for the comments, guys!

24. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    I thought Ryan lived a few hours north from you.

Anyway... You have not ansered my questions about the blurriness?

Check back a page or so, if you missed that...

25. J-Solo

J-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 1999
    NP2K doesn't like me...:_|

I was a member there but lost my membership in one of the database cleanings (I think that's what happened). I've tried to register again recently, filled all the forms, created a password, etc but...it doesn't work. Yeah, I've read the FAQ. I'll try again someday...but why don't you like me? ;)

Let's check this flick now...downloading. (I think I've read the script...is it Fig's?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.