main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive Roleplaying Times

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by MarcusDade, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcusDade

MarcusDade Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2006
    Hey all. I'm starting up a roleplay, but I can't decide what era to set it in.

So I pose a question to you all.

If you were to join a Star Wars RPG, which era out of these would you choose?

1. Extremely Ancient (Marka Ragnos, Naga Sadow, etc)
    2. Ancient (Revan, Malak, Kreia)
    3. Near Ancient (the time span between revan and the new sith wars)
    4. historical (the time span between new sith wars and the birth of Anakin Skywalker)
    5. Jedi of the Dying Republic (time era between the birth of Anakin Skywalker and the Rise of the Galactic Empire)
    6. Rebellion Era (time between the rise and fall of the Galactic Empire)
    7. New Jedi Era (time between rise of the new jedi order and the death of luke skywalker)
    8. Legacy Era (Darth Krayt, etc)
    9. Future (some time after the death of Darth Krayt)
    10. Far Future (thousands of years after Legacy)

out of those ten, which ones would you guys find more appealing?

2. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    I'd have to say, at the advent of the New Jedi Order. 10 ABY. My favorite era, as it mixes the general aspects of the PT and OT together, very well, too.

3. witchdoctor187

witchdoctor187 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 14, 2007
    I personally liks the Jedi of the Dying Republic era. becasue i like the whole clone wars. but i also like the far into the future idea, because you not limited to cannon

4. Darth_Brutus666

Darth_Brutus666 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2006
    Far future would be fun, but it would be kinda of hard to do wouldn't it?

5. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    NP edit: Please don't use this person's thread as an excuse to rant. You didn't even really answer his question.

6. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
  7. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    I totally answered the question and wasn't ranting. A good era to play in is the period before the Rebellion gets going, from 19 BBY until before the Corellian Treaty, when the Rebellion was just a flicker and everything else was dark. Relatively unexplored era, with plenty of relics from the Clone Wars still lying around and corruption spreading fast through the galaxy. The era bridging the trilogies is just starting to be explored, and probably will remain relatively unbothered until The Force Unleashed is released.

8. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    6, 4, 5

9. NickLitYouAFlame

NickLitYouAFlame Jedi Master star 5

Feb 27, 2007
  10. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    4, 6, 7, 9.

11. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    2, 4, 6.

6 especially, because I've always been kind of interested in how Vader hunted down the Jedi.

12. Phantasmagoria

Phantasmagoria Jedi Knight

Dec 4, 2007
    Personally, I'd recommend you formulate a plot and then decide from there, rather than crafting your plot around the era. It adds more independence to the game, and games based solely on time periods are prone to regressing to a random series of events within that period instead of a player-driven, plot-based adventure.

But beyond that, I like 9, 2, 1, 10, and 4 the best. Empty spaces on the timeline allow for much more earthshattering consequences that still don't contradict canon. If your characters, for example, encounter Yoda during the Clone Wars, they already know (assuming the game stays within canon) that he's not going to die no matter what.

13. MarcusDade

Apr 5, 2006
    This is a good point, however knowing what era your story is going to take place is the best way to understand the story. There are only really seven different plots, so coming up with one first isn't really going to be able to let you have a fully fleshed out story until you have a time era.

But thanks guys, this is really helping. :)

14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Any time from 4 and 7-10, though I tend to only use one character per era, so it'd have to be pre-200 BBY or post-200 BBY, but pre-600 BBY, as all those slots on the Kya Family Tree are full. :p

I dislike KotoR era RP's as they are usually of the same vein - True Sith, True Sith, True Sith. And no matter how much I love empty era's, games really have to stay within established canon wherever they are. That is crucial.

But Phantasmagoria has it right. The plot is more important than the era. My own RP's have been set in 200 BBY and 128 ABY. Very different era's, but both have a lot of freedom to them.

15. SnubfighterKnight-06

SnubfighterKnight-06 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 14, 2007
    Well, Ive already played in the Rebellion Era and played through to juuuuust after that pesky Dark Empire thingie in the old WEG system. Then, with new GM in tow, taking several of those characters and going into the Vong War (YAY! shoot me now).

Anyway, I guess I've rambled on enough. I like anything from the Rebellion Era all the way through the Vong war. Why? Becasue I know the most about it. Although there is currently talk of a Clone Wars game and I've expressed interest in an ARC trooper...

16. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    Well, as a person who isn't really into the EU, Rebellion Era and Dying Republic are certainly easiest for me. Anything else will probably require some extensive use of wookieepedia...

Of course, I've found that sometimes, wookieepedia's the necessary route. Earlier this year, I was trying really hard to find a good, long-lasting RP. I joined every decent-looking RP - except the two Legacy-era ones: 128 ABY and Fool's Gamble. Within a few months, those were the only two that remained prosperous. :oops:

Suffice to say, those are two huge regrets. I still intend to get in on 128 some day. Maybe over summer break, or perhaps this coming break...

In another note, far past and far future tend to work out for me. I think the GM really has a lot of power in these instances - as evidenced by Titanomachy and the comatose Seven Orphans of Ossus.

17. MarcusDade

Apr 5, 2006
    okay, so I've narrrowed the choices down to the most popular, using both this thread and personal suggestions from others.

Out of these three, which one would you rather RP in?

1. Future (some time after the death of Darth Krayt)
    2. New Jedi Era (time between rise of the new jedi order and the death of luke skywalker)
    3. Ancient (Revan, Malak, Kreia)

18. Sith_Lords

Sith_Lords Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    Completely off topic, but I am the only one who figured there may be some sort of RPF Newsletter in this thread?

19. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Sithy, thats what I thought when I first clicked, haha

But to answer the question out of the narrowed three, I'd say the New Jedi Order era, because the Warlord period is something that is rarely ever covered lately from what I've seen.

It's always seemed the New Republic's troubles, coupled with their fighting the different incarnations of the Empire, would serve as a good roleplaying ground, even if you were creating your plot in it for the first time.

20. Hammurabi

Jan 14, 2007
    I'm generally opposed to New Republic era, as that's probably the most EU-heavy.

21. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Unfortunately, there are approximately two eras and maybe six days that *aren't* solely EU, and those are rather EU-heavy as well.

22. Hammurabi

Jan 14, 2007
    Yeah, but New Republic has by far the most well-developed and intricate EU. Dying Republic and Rebellion era are about as dense, but they're dense because of the films. New Republic era's dense because of the EU. The other eras are nowhere near as dense, allowing for more GM creativity to fill in the holes. That's partly why Titanomachy appeals to me - it's not things I know, but it's not like everyone else knows it and I'm desperately sifting through wookieepedia to figure it all uot.

23. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Yeah, that's why I picked 2, 4, 6. I haven't kept up with the EU at all in the last few years so I basically have to wookiepedia everything, and it's annoying.

Future, though, simply doesn't really appeal to me. Games that do Future/Far Future always seem to revolve around Skywalker's descendants, and frankly, I don't really care about them.

edit - and yes for some reason every time I click on this thread I half expect it to be a newsletter, too. :p

24. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    I guess you could say the only one I am NOT very interested in is even though, IMO, that is the most developed. Though, some of those have been RPed a lot.

I would love to delve into the unknown parts of the EU, such as the time between RotS and ANH, the Far Future, and the Ancient. Those interest me a lot because I do not know what stories there are, and would love to create some stories in those areas.

Although, I have to say...I am very interested in AU. Does anyone else like the AU?

25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Personally, I hate it. Despise it. But others quite like it, so that's upto them. Hammurabi, you're welcome to join 128 ABY anytime you drop me a character sheet. [face_peace]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.