main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spok, WA [Roll Call] Torchlight Parade - SpoCon Promotion!!! May 17th

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JarusSarn, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JarusSarn

JarusSarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2004
    I completely understand, I had to give my wonderful mother-in-law a quick hug, a brief "thanks" and drive quickly away in the new car she bought me so I could catch up with everyone, and I feel awful about it, they went out to dinner and I didn't have the decency to come with them and thank them properly, so believe me when I say, I completely understand how you feel, Saturday was just a bad day for everyone I think :( Sorry guys, I feel really terrible about it.

2. DarthTratz

DarthTratz Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2007
    John, I appreciate how busy you are. Lord knows Glenn and I are (everyone is), but when you started this thread, I assumed you were the go-to guy. I don't want to alienate anyone here (hell, I barely know anybody yet) and I'm not interested in pointing fingers, we simply would have appreciated some accommodation when plans changed. When a time is set, show up. If those plans change, let someone know beforehand. Glenn and I both have families and other obligations, so we really have to plan our time carefully. And I know we're not the only ones.

The other issue being that with wearing our cumbersome costumes (especially Glenn's Vader), it's hard for us to maneuver around, particularly through streets crowded with people. So it would have been nice to have someone less hindered to look out for us. In the end, we just kind of felt as if no one really wanted us there. What really set us off is when we were told, "I'd say sorry, but I got a new car." That was completely inappropriate at that point and was by no means an excuse to leave us hanging for 3 hours.

That's all I'm going to say and I'd just as soon move on. I think this could be a fun group. Maybe someone could take on being an event coordinator? I agree with you John, if your plate is full, you shouldn't be expected to have to coordinate everything. But like I said before, I don't know everyone here so I'm still a n00b. As a matter of fact, I feel as if I may be overstepping my bounds right now.

3. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    I'm sorry you guys felt like you weren't wanted, I think I speak for everyone in the group when I say DON'T LEAVE!!! [face_worried] We're actually all really excited to have you guys around, we're just not very good at getting events together (never have been). And we know all to well how hard it is to clear everyone's schedules and get people at events.

I'll explain what this event was for me when I started this thread. For me this was a fun event that everyone would meet downtown and just hang out and get pictures taken with people, and maybe hand out busines

4. The_Cheeser

The_Cheeser Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 16, 2005
    I'd like to through my hat in for event planning.

Most of the problem I see is caused by a need to improve our communication. Maybe a communications officer/director/slave could be added to aid the group.

5. Darthchromer

Darthchromer Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2007
    Well it doesn?t make me "feel better" that others had a bad day. It makes me feel bummed. I hoped you at least had some fun there. Again I understand when plans get messed up that?s not the main issue. You need to work on your panache. When things go south a sincere apology would have been just fine instead of what you did say that?s all. Don't quit your friends over this, just learn from your experiences good and bad and become a better person for it. Being part of the 501st we plan on doing some cool events and would like to have the Spokantina join in on the fun.

Not to use this as a recruiting moment but any of you are welcome to become members of the 501st along with the Spokantina (nothing wrong with doing both) We all have that one thing in common, our love for Star Wars. We finally have a small base of costumers in Spokane and would be more than happy to help any of you with getting parts and building a costume for 501st certification. There are some awesome costumes you can do that wont coast an arm and leg. Could you imagine instead of crashing the torchlight parade next year actually being in it with a float. A bunch of Imperials marching down the street along with the Rebels it would be too awesome. Lets make it happen!
    I don't know you guys to well and you obviously don't know us either. You all seem very talented and resourceful. You have to be to be the group you are. There is nothing wrong with taking things to the next level with our love for Star Wars. Just thought I would throw this out there. This means you Emperor! ;)

6. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    I nominate Cheeser!!! Though this means you'll have to show up to more meetings!!! :p

7. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    I think you're a great guy Glenn, sorry for letting you guys down on Saturday, I really dropped the ball. The night wasn't a total loss though, we walked around the parade route and took pics with people, got a good response and handed out some SpoCon cards to enthusiastic people, it just would have been better with you guys there :\ oh well.

PS. I think Kelli and I want to do some Biker Scouts, we just need to know what the armor's going to cost.

8. Darthchromer

Jun 6, 2007

9. the_black_smudge

the_black_smudge Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2004
    Ok, my two cents here:
    First off, Everyone please remember that I love you all, You are just about the only friends Sabrina and I have in this state. You have all done a wonderful job of making us feel welcome and appreciated and I thank you all for it.

John: Ya screwed up, ya need to work on your tact a wee bit. Done and done. Lessons learned, we all need to move on. Your skills as webmaster and all you do for this group are a true blessing. Running a club like this is a damn difficult and usually thankless to boot. You are one of the vital organs that keep us alive! You know where your strengths and weaknesses are, it is now up to us to work around that. It is not fair to you to be asked to take on more than you are able or be expected to excel at things you know you are not good at.

On the subject of events coordiantion, I would be most ahppy to take on the job, save for one glaring problem: I have a very limited knowlege of Spokane and the surrounding area as yet. This along with my somewhat limited experience with with this group as a whole could be a detriment. Cheeser has neither of these handicaps. On the other hand, I did a fair amount of coordinating with the OCSWS and my share of trooping. So perhaps a sharing of duties is the best bet. This may well be good also in that Cheeser and I are both quite busy and thus can share the load. What say you my friends?

Another option is to have one person designated as the organizer/contact person for a specific event. For example, "we are doing this (whatever) event, Billybob there is the contact" He would then arrange and post on the when/wheres of it, delegating certain aspects as needed, and so forth. That way, there is no confusion about who to call for details or questions/problems.

As for communication, we have a wonderful tool right here, thanks to John=D= We just need to use it and take the time to check and update it regularly. For those who cannot do so for whatever reason, stay in contact with those who can, so they can keep you updated. I think a contact list for the entire group would be an excellent idea. I am willing to compile the list and type it up/hand out copies if we decide to go with this.

I have been slightly reluctant to just dive into a lot of this because i did not feel that it was really my place as a newcomer to the group to shake things up so much and I wasn't about to go around barking orders to the club ossifers. (for the record, the OC group is very structured and people were known to get upset about others stepping on their toes and not "going through the proper channels" etc). However I am very interedted in stepping up to help give this group the "shot in the arm" we seem to need.

Bottom line, we all need to step up and do what needs to be done, fix the few problems we have and really get this club moving.

=D= WHO'S WITH ME?![face_dancing]

10. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004

11. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    So say we all? :D

As a quick point, I can make viewing member profiles on the website a private thing, so only site members can view contact info, and then I can add some profile fields for email and phone numbers... so that it's private info, but other group members can view your contact info... does that sound like a good idea?

12. Darthchromer

Jun 6, 2007
    Sometimes things need to be shook up a bit as long as positve things come of it. I havent seen this much action on the boards in awhile.

Organizing a group is very overwhelming and you can't do it alone. If you are part of a group then you are part of the group, everyone needs to help. It makes things go so much smoother. Its hard to row a boat full of people by yourself. Seems like John has put alot into this group and thats very respectful.

13. The_Cheeser

Feb 16, 2005
    Smudge, it appears that you and I have similar desires to help in coordination and communication. Maybe we could work together on both (until the need for both of us on both duties changes.) How does that sound, Smudge? Everyone else?

Oh, and I will be coming to more meetings.

14. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    :mutter:he's discovered my plan!:mutter:

I kid! but you're right, at least people are posting, haha.

So, how's everyone been? :D

15. Darthchromer

Jun 6, 2007
    [:D] Group hug. Now get back to work!

16. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    I almost used a quote from The Colonial Fleet, "I hate you guys, I'm quitting the fleet", but then I realized that it's an inside joke with the BSG people from DragonCon, and no one here would probably get it :p

just so no one feels left out, here's the origin of that phrase from the Fleet, direct from the Fraklopedia:

"You may not have been there when Apollo said this while he was sick from his first cigar and after the Fleet took pictures of him on the toilet like the ***tards that we are, but you can still use this phrase whenever the pressures of the world are bearing down on you and you feel like you want to quit us. You big baby. You can't quit us."

:D

17. The_Cheeser

Feb 16, 2005
    It's hard to hug a Vader tho. So big and plasticky!

18. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    Ok, so Cheeser and Smudge, if you guys can get people in to Cd'A, we'll provide the place, and most of the meat for the BBQ, but you've got to get people to come to it, deal? ;)

19. Eledaia

Eledaia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2004
    Ok, just putting my 2 cents in here.

This was the first planned outing for our group in a very long time. We have had lots of change in the last year, including members who have been very involved having to move away (Nat, Me), new members joining who have club experience(Smudge, Sabrina, our new 501st friends) and some members who have had to cut back because of family reasons. Our organization has not been able to keep up with planning meetings for several months and we have just now planned out a schedule for the next 3 months.

Also, this "event" started with me suggesting that anyone who could show up to the torchlight parade so we will know what to expect when we are ready to have a Spokantina presence there. I have always wanted to have a parade group, but I had never actually seen the parade. Then we thought, "Hey! We have costume and lightsabers! Let's go down in costume and have fun. Oh, and we might as well had out SpoCon business cards while we are at it."

We have 3 months worth of events now that can use someone in Spokane to organize them. I'm of the opinion that if you see a problem, fix it yourself. We all do what we can for this group and I know I appreciate anyone who hosts a meeting, organizes an event or does anything for our group that costs them time, money or mental exercise. I would gladly host every meeting at our apartment from now until eternity if only everyone could make it out to CdA!

To the new people:
    I hate to tell you, but this has been business as usual for the Spokantina. Our group doesn't usually have a decent turnout to events because of a couple of reasons 1)We have a varied group of members who have conflicting schedules and family obligations, so someone is always excluded because of a work schedule and such 2)Our membership isn't large enough to have a consistent attendance at events. This in turn tends to discourage those who WOULD organize an event. Two summers ago John and I planned several events with very dismal turnout and it discouraged us greatly. Our group still hasn't climbed back from that low yet.

I think that the 501st has spoiled you, in the BEST way. The 501st is a much better organization and you have come to expect that kind of quality. That is not us, at least not yet. Our attempts at structure for this group has actually been met with opposition in the past, but I hope that we can at least make the costumed outings more reliable.

To everyone:
    And finally, if you want to blame someone for the breakdown of this event, blame me. It was my idea in the first place and John actually wanted to skip car shopping and go strait to the event. If we didn't get the car then, my parents were going to leave and there would be no car. I had to have a heated argument with him to convince him that getting a car so he could get to work everyday was more important than the Spokantina. I'm sorry, you guys rate second next to earning a living :p

Also, just a note for everyone in the future, for downtown Riverfront Park events: Park north of the river and walk down to the park. It is cheaper(free!), you can get pretty close and you won't get caught in downtown traffic.

20. Darthchromer

Jun 6, 2007
    Thats why he's so angry. No love!

21. DarthTratz

DarthTratz Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2007
    We Tuskens don't hug... we curtsy. :)

22. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    I love my wife [face_love]

23. Eledaia

Eledaia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2004
    Nah, it is just Tough Love!

24. The_Cheeser

Feb 16, 2005
    Despite how the less-than-desirable-meet-up went, congratulations on the car. That is really nice of your parents.

25. Daramin_of_The_Way

Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2004
    Seconded!
    And Happy First Anniversary!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.