main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Rolling Stone possibly steps in it

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Jul 17, 2013.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Ha ha, he's even in a literal spotlight. What a rock star treatment he's getting.

2. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Jim Morrison was sexy and all but one of my father in law's school mates, a bookstore regular, went to FSU with him and said he was already full of himself then. Barnes & Noble will be stocking this issue. We should have it tomorrow.

3. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    On a side note and amusing...There's an article called On The Bus With Willie Nelson...he hangs out at some ashram near me where the recently deceased guru gave Ram Dass a bad experience he'll never forget. crazy story there.

4. Isotope217

Isotope217 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2002
  5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't think the police sergeant who released those 2 photos should be punished too harshly. No harm done, and you can understand why he was emotional enough to release those photos.

Juliet316 and Kiki-Gonn like this.
  6. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    [​IMG]

In conclusion, I don't get the BFD.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003

I'm not upset by it, but I understand why. And it's different from the Bin Laden one, or the Manson one.

It's because it's Rolling Stone. And they chose a photo of him that is one of the more "glamorous," that makes him look like a rockstar. And even if that photo was used, it wouldn't be as controversial if they edited the photo to have jailbars in front of it, or edited the photo to look like a mugshot, or said something condemning of him on the cover. Or just use another photo of him, like the ones of him caught on video at the marathon or at the gas station the night he was caught.

Again, doesn't upset me, but they really should have thought this out better.

8. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    Is the cover of Rolling Stone more of a cultural icon than the cover of Newsweek, though? I mean granted, pretentious though this may sound, my universe probably orbits closer to Newsweek than Rolling Stone in general, but it seems to me that those are both actual Things. Granted that OBL photo has targeting sights superimposed on it, but I suppose I'm just not willing or able to draw that fine a distinction. Other folks may be able to.

Plus, you know, it's probably actually worth a conversation about how radicalization happens, and acknowledging that not all people who do really terrible things are born ordained to do so, but I KNOW that's too fine a distinction to draw for the Fox and Friends crowd. And I say this as a person who voted for McCain.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  9. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

id **** 'im

Sinrebirth likes this.
  10. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Yes.

11. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Umm, so is the Manson one.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No, the whole crosshairs thing is in pretty bad taste too. So there!

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Bin Laden is average-looking and a middle-age man and dressed in A-rab Muslim garb. That's why it didn't matter.

jp-30 likes this.
  14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Are people still inventing reasons be butthurt by that image?

ShaneP and Lord Vivec like this.
  15. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I'm coming late to this discussion, but yeah, chalk me up as one of those who just. doesn't. get. the controversy. It's a picture of the guy as he looks, or looked before the bombings. His hair is disheveled, it's not "glamorous" to my eye in the least. Dude exists. Here's a picture of him. Inside there's an article about him. I would think that would be "end of", but apparently not. :confused:

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Read the rest of my post.

17. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I'm certain not going to start doing that now.

Ender Sai likes this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I always draw little mustaches and glasses on all the pictures in Rolling Stone, so it really doesn't matter to me.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    A. They did say something condemning of him. They said he "became a monster."

B. Really, they should have to photoshop him? Should they put devil horns on, too? This just strikes me as ridiculous.

20. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    If they have a article inside exploring the bomber, then they have every right to put his image on the cover. The main story is about him.

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    He's so dreamy. I'd go gay for him. LET HIM GO SO WE CAN BE GAY!

Wait, was I brainwashed into thinking he was nice by Rolling Stone?

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I said it doesn't upset me, but they should have foreseen the backlash and could have done it differently.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Has anyone read the article yet? Are all of the pics of the bomber in said article hawt?