main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Romance?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by PrincessKayOrgana, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    The recent revelations in Vanity Fair, that the directors are given so much leeway...that Kathleen Kennedy handed the Pen to Rian and said "So what happens next" kind of kills this kind of reading of the film. JJ left a lot of plot threads for other directors to tackle and Rian is under no directive to follow JJ's plan for the trilogy (and that is assuming JJ even had one). Even more importantly, we now know that there will be no major romance in this film (No Han/Leia style romance, no unrequited love style romance, and no burning passion style romance). So again, I think you've based this theory on shaky ground at best.

Jacques who likes this.
  2. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Yeap. Imo, "plotgate" reinforces the idea that the characters' pasts are the building blocks of the ST.

3. What Girl

What Girl Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

I didn't see Rey as childlike except in her early scenes with Finn and Han, with whom she had a family dynamic. Her character developed throughout TFA and she was already looking more mature by the end of the film.

If Rey shouldn't be with Poe because he's more accomplished than her, then Finn shouldn't be with her since she is more accomplished than him. She's a self-taught pilot, can speak numerous languages, and on top of that is Force-sensitive and on her way to becoming a Jedi.

Knessa84 and mlsw like this.
  4. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    It's not about accomplishment, really. "Mature," "worldly," etc. Rey is still pretty "wide-eyed," particularly in how Daisy plays her, not as much on paper. Compare with Leia, who was an experianced politician and spy by the start of ANH and spoke and acted like a woman at least 10 years older.

ETA: I do agree that she seemed older by the end of TFA. I look forward to seeing where Rey is by the end of 9 :) Luke's evolution from ANH to ROTJ was one of my favorite aspects of the OT.

5. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Finn's a trained soldier, capable with small unit tactics, marksmanship, and melee combat and is already a big deal in the resistance that is being assigned to lead a mission that will see him infiltrating a Star Destroyer (possibly Snokes command ship) and...he and Rey have a connection she lacks with Poe and both are Naive new comers to this world of adventure.

godisawesome likes this.
  6. What Girl

Mar 12, 2016
    I already know it isn't about accomplishment. That word was used by JediAce1 and you should probably address him directly if you disagree with its usage here, not confront me for something that was said by somebody else.

7. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    "Confronting"?

I responded to you because you seemed to have misunderstood JediAce1 (who is, of course, free to set me straight if I was wrong).

8. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017

But you have to read all the rest... old statemets (JJ's and KK's about the trilogy) plus new partial corrections or explanations included.
    In my opinion, there's not plotegate. Sorry.
    I believe, the directors are working... together. So much so, a new director is hired (officially, but talks begin befere) when the other film is still in production.
    He's given of the script, he can ask for something. But to change or to improve that story already set?
    I bet the latter.

That said, about romance.... Rian said something different.
    He said it didn't felt right, because of where the characters... are.
    And that is not going to be central in VIII.

Meaning (to me) there's any chance to have a... promising new friendship, relationship - and so, not a unrequited love story -
    Between 2 characters that start to know each other, leaving the audience with the question "what's coming next?"
    Finn and Rose.
    And or etc...

That said, I said first, about TFA, that perhaps it's just the way that movie is built... per se.
    I'll just wait and see.

9. What Girl

Mar 12, 2016
    JoJoPenelli My response to him was sarcastic. I did not misunderstand anything, and do not need you to "explain" it to me.

10. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017

But you have to read all the rest... old statemets (JJ's and KK's about the trilogy) plus new partial corrections or explanations included.
    I believe, the directors are working... together. So much so, a new director is hired (officially, but talks begin befere) when the other film is still in production.
    He's given of the script, he can ask for something. But to change or to improve that story already set?
    I bet the latter.

Meaning (to me) there's any chance to have a... promising new friendship, relationship - and so, not a unrequited love story -
    Between 2 characters that start to know each other, leaving the audience with the question "what's coming next?"
    Finn and Rose.
    And or etc...

That said, I said first, about TFA, that perhaps it's just the way that movie is built... per se.
    I'll just wait and see.

11. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017

I bet the latter.

Finn and Rose.
    And or etc...

I'll just wait and see.

12. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    What I meant by accomplished is someone who has life figured out. Rey and Finn are still searching for a purpose, which gave both of them a child-like presence.

I really don't think a romance between Rey and Finn is going to happen, but it's still the most plausible scenario for Rey's love life. Which means she's probably going to stay single over the next two movies. She's had no interaction with Poe, so that's very unlikely. And Kylo is the bully in her story. Even if the bully is redeemed, history tells us they never get the girl. He's caused her too much emotional damage and scarring.

Jacques who likes this.
  13. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    JoJoPenelli

In my opinion, there's not plotegate. Sorry. :)
    You have to read all the rest... old statemets (JJ's and KK's about the trilogy) plus new partial corrections or explanations included.
    I believe, the directors are working... together. So much so, a new director is hired (officially, but talks begin before) when the other film is still in production.
    I bet the latter.

Finn and Rose.
    And or etc...

I'll just wait and see.

14. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Nice verbal conveyance of an Icy Death Glare ^:)^ ;)

Anyway...I wonder just how much they're willing to play with genres in the Anthology films!

I'm rooting for a rom-com. Not generally a rom-com fan but a SW one could be awesome.

15. What Girl

Mar 12, 2016

I have not once brought up Kylo in this discussion so please stop.

JoJoPenelli likes this.
  16. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    What? I didn't say you did.

I was listing all of Rey's potential suitors based on fan shipping. Poe, Finn and Kylo. So what's wrong with what I said?

Jacques who and JoJoPenelli like this.
  17. Kthru12

Kthru12 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 4, 2016
    I think Act 2 for Rey will be focused on her training with Luke.

Act 1 is too soon for that: They have to introduce the two characters to one another, introduce Rey and the audience to the setting (porgs, froggy nun village where Luke is apparently living, sea monster fight, Force tree library, etc.), establish a conflict between Luke and Rey ("don't meet your heroes"), and THEN have the two come to an agreement to train together (which would have to come after the movie (A) establishes a reason for Rey to want to become a jedi, and (B) introduces something to change Luke's mind from "the jedi must end"). All that will take up a decent amount of film time, especially if you factor in all the cutting back and forth between them and the Resistance characters.

So if Act I is Rey meeting and conflicting with Luke on Ach-to (the end-of-act turning point being the decision to train), and Act II is Rey training with Luke on Ach-to, that would suggest that her turning point at the end of Act 2 would be leaving the planet with Luke and Chewie in the Falcon (no doubt due to the FO attack in the teaser).

From there, they could just go straight to Crait using the Force for guidance (the way the Force led Luke to know that Han and Leia were on Cloud City). But I can't see it happening any earlier than the beginning of Act 3.

As for romance between Rey and Poe... if that were in the cards, I think they put off establishing a friendship between the two characters for far too long to pull it off believably now. TFA was all about Rey and Finn bonding, and the most important bond in TLJ will be, according to Rian, between Rey and Luke. Rey and Poe might actually end this trilogy as just acquaintances.

18. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    The problem is that none have the guts to break the news to Luke ;)

Source:

“So Daisy, do you think if Rey got married, would her parents come to her wedding? And if so, who would they be?” her on-the-spot interviewer asked.
    “Who would they be?” Ridley repeated, before saying: “I think Luke would probably give her away.”

(And no, no I'm not citing that as proof Luke's her dad. But it's proof of at the very least a father-daughter-like relationship of some sort.)

Ginger likes this.
  19. Kthru12

Kthru12 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 4, 2016
    Yes, the evolution of the Rey-Luke relationship sounds like it will be the primary focus of TLJ.

From "don't meet your heroes" and "not what she expected", to close enough to give her away at her wedding (and justify her exchange with Maz in TFA: "The belonging you seek is not behind you, but ahead", "Luke Skywalker", etc.)

I think this is what Rian was trying to tell Vanity Fair in that interview before they cut him off: That he wanted to include a major romance in TLJ but it didn't seem possible to squeeze in a big developing relationship like that alongside the already focal "big developing relationship" of Rey-Luke.

20. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    Poe might be paired off with Rose's older sister Paige.

panki likes this.
  21. MarionZ

MarionZ Jedi Padawan

Dec 23, 2015
    Ruke :)

But seriously I would be ok with any pairing with the right development. I really can't see Poe and Rey though.. If they decided to give Rey a romantic arc, they should just go with Finn, since they are already friends. The only problem I see with a romance involving Rey is that she already has lots of things happening in her plot.

22. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Every time I see "Ruke" I imagine Daisy with her face in her hands and Mark laughing uproariously.

23. Jacques who

Jacques who Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 18, 2017
    I think it's fair to say they considered a Poe/Rey romance and jettisoned the idea. The scene with them accidentally hugging and then blushing and being all shy and saying 'hi' to each other made me cringe when it first read it. It reads fanficcy at best in the novelization and I'm sure it would be pretty cringeworthy if filmed despite Daisy and Oscar being awesome, highly attractive actors.

I bet Oscar, John, and especially Daisy were warned explicitly about future objectification, but I don't know if anyone can possibly conceive of the sheer quantity of output - or the extremes it often goes to.

24. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Ahem, PT era anyone? That's responsible for a whole MOVIE attacking GL....XD

25. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    I like this....there is something nice about the idea of Finn and Poe dating the Tico sisters (Rose and Paige)....makes them one big happy family. :cool:

26. Jacques who

Apr 18, 2017

As soon as I found out Rose had an older sister, I thought she's either A) Poe's romantic interest or B) dies so Rose can be pushed into a more active role in the rebellion. Or, hey, she could be both.

27. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I seriously thought Rose could be a double agent until we heard she has a sis in the Resistance.

Re: The Acts, I've only really thought about the Achoo storyline.

I'm thinking:

Act 1: Luke doesn't want to train Rey, Rey fights sea monster
    Act 2: Luke trains Rey, "Jedi must end" stuff, Rey's Forcebacks
    Act 3: Kylo and gang arrives, Luke fights minions, Kylo vs Rey, Kylo defeats Rey but turns her against Luke

No idea how they meet up with Resistance...

Geez, just typing that, it seems that's a TON of stuff o fit into a single storyline! Anyone know if the leaks have debunked how I think the Acts will go?

28. Jacques who

Apr 18, 2017
    I think Luke's refusal to train her is going to be pretty darn brief. Yoda and Luke took minutes to resolve. And I think that's going to be directly tied into the Jedi must end which will happen during Act 1. But there's still a LOT of plot to cover and I can't imagine how the different groups reconnect.

29. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Good point. And I feel that it's important that Rey learns something on Achoo that will be key to defeating Snoke. I wonder how much the "Jedi must end" part will have direct relevance to the task at hand, vs the Jedi going forward.

I'm a bit concerned that the non-Force plotlines will end up being somewhat shallow in comparison...

30. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    Rey: I need you to train me.
    Luke: No.
    Rey: I brought power converters.
    Luke: I'm in.

JoJoPenelli and Master of None like this.