main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Ron Howards, "In The Heart Of The Sea Trailer" !!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Leoluca Randisi, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I think if you could walk down a busy street and hear people's internal monologues, it would sound very similar to what you read here.

Okay, back on topic. I find most of Howard's stuff a bit bland, and any potential enthusiasm I might have for a film is muted when he's attached. Still, I don't think even Howard could screw up Thor vs. a Sperm Whale. I just hope Marvel fans don't sit through 10 minutes of credits waiting for Thanos to show up teasing a cosmic harpoon.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  2. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

They'd take one at look at beezel and run screaming in the other direction.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Just at him? :p

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    That looks excellent.

5. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    This movie looks fantastic, what do you guys think ?

6. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    exactly right. In the book, Philbrick narrates the Essex story in about 5 pages. The vast bulk of the book (it's not that vast) is the history of the whaling industry and the rise and fall of the Nantucket economy, which makes it not entirely unlike reading Moby Dick, except for the part about it not being that vast.

also it's hard to imagine a movie ever doing early 19th century sailing better than Master & Commander.

JoinTheSchwarz and Sarge like this.
  7. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    According to someone on the In The Heart Of The Sea IMDB Message Board who got to see a screening of the film they said the movie was Awesome. I looked at Ron Howard's twitter page "TherealRonHoward" and there were multiple test screenings of the film,

Ron Howard@RealRonHoward Sep 19
    I snuck pic of Audience getting ready for a test screening of In the Heart of the Sea. pic.twitter.com/u8WlCe47k5
    View photo Hide photo
    anyone who didn't think this trailer looked Awesome I question your sanity? the person on IMDB who saw the test screening also read the book and said it followed the book really good but it added a fire seen on the boat in the end that was not in the book, but whaling ships were filled with Whale oil not that inconceivable to think it could catch on fire and I am sure in real life it happened often. also I saw Master & Commander on HBO and I thought it was Horrible, one of the worst, boring movies I have seen in some time.

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    If you don't see the glorious beauty of Master & Commander, you are to be pitied above all men.

Jabbadabbado and Coruscant like this.
  9. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I kind of want to watch it again now

Sarge and Coruscant like this.
  10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I don't know if the story and pacing of Master and Commander is ideal, and the film flopped commercially, but I don't think I've ever seen another movie that immerses the viewer so completely and flawlessly into a historical setting. I'm sure there are plenty of historical errors, but the effect is one of utter authenticity. If they had been willing to compromise on the visuals, the movie might have turned a profit. But they weren't, so it didn't.

Sarge and Coruscant like this.
  11. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014