main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Room together at Celebration?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by kenobi4prez, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenobi4prez

kenobi4prez Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2011
    Me and a couple buddies of mine are planning on going to celebration 6 and I was wondering if anybody going by themselves wanted to get a hotel room with us. We would all split the cost. Just looking for ways to not only meet and make new friends but also save some money. If so let me know. I know its still a ways away but im starting to save money now and would like to get my room booked by at least november or december.

2. jedimomtosith

jedimomtosith Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2009
    I met my roommate for CV on this forum. We didn't meet face to face till we arrived at Orlando airport. It really worked out great for both of us. We are also going to room together for CVI as well. I would, if I was you, go ahead and reserve a room now since there's no deposit taken right now then try to find more roommates. The other thing is to get things in writing. Not to sound like Judge Judy but a writen agreement is a good idea especially when you've never met the other people. My roommate and I had an agreement about hotel fees and extra charges, most important the room rules..ie: no party'n, other people coming to the room, no other "sleep overs", etc. Keeping the costs down are great but be careful...just a "mom" note...LOL

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    This is very important. I roomed with my one friend and two other people whom I have never met before arriving down in Florida(one is a member here on the JC and the other was someone from home my friend asked to come along since I invited someone from here). Now, this was my first time organizing something like this and I didn't think far enough ahead to put together a written agreement or anything 'official' to ensure that everyone upholds their end of the deal. The member I met here on the JC sent me payment for the room a week prior to arrival, which was great. Everything went really smooth. The other, however, did not and we are now close to a year since the event and I still haven't received the money. I have tried to get in contact with her and there's been very little communication coming from her end. I was promised the check back in December and once again, nothing.

So, beware with who you pick as roommates, especially if you aren't familiar with the person or have never met them before.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  4. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Wow, that's terrible!

One thing you can do to avoid anything like that happening is to agree beforehand that everyone makes their payment arrangements with the hotel at check-in, whether that be putting their card on file to be charged later, or paying their share in cash up front. That way you don't really have to worry about your roommates not paying up, and if anything does happen, it's between them and the hotel, not them and you.

5. jedimomtosith

jedimomtosith Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2009
    Sorry to hear bout your issue....This to is a very good idea. My roommate did that with her credit card at the hotel at check in. I also did agreements with people and the rental car I rented. I don't drink so I ended up being the designated driver for a few people going to all the parties. People I've never met before who i made prior arrangements with regarding the car were great! They all helped pay for gas and the rental. However, I did state that any messes from partying to much (you no what I mean) they would pay for the cleaning fee. Everyone was very cool!!! Pretty much doing the same this go round as well.

6. kenobi4prez

kenobi4prez Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2011
    All great ideas thanks everyone for the advice. Hope I can find someone because besides the two guys Im going with and my fiance, who sadly will not be attending the convention, I dont know any other Star Wars fans. So it will be nice to make one or hopefully more friends. If anyone knows of anybody let em know im looking. Thanks everyone.

7. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Good Luck on finding a roommate. Just a suggesting that might make it better,Try and book a suite like the Embassy Suites so that you get a double room. Bedroom and a fold out coach in the living room.It will make shearing more appealing to some.

8. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    At CV, I was a member of the Rebel Legion and posted for a roommate. I never met him until Orlando.
    We laid out the ground rules and he paid his share that very day.
    I am hoping that I can share a room with him again for CVI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.