main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rose Parade Report

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by Master--Kenobi, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Well, actually a very short report right now as completely exhausted! LOL

Siri and I are back home safe and sound and Kai just left for her journey home. While we are completely fried, it was the most incredible experience imaginable.

We met up with Cassila and wound up working on not only both the Endor and Naboo floats (Camera-side Garden Planet sign and Medalions for Siri and myself, "banners from hell" for Kai and Cass, and the bright Orange Birds for the Endor float for us.

We also worked on the China Airlines Float (Kai and Siri on the Fish, Cass on Flowers and myself on the front Butterfly. Incredible experience.... Steve Sansweet showed up on Sat afternoon and we had fun meeting up with him again and taking pics and getting him to help work on the banners as well (briefly but at least he got to work on it.) This was the 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. shift and by 5 p.m. we were completely and totally fried.

Sunday was the 3:00 a.m. to 10: a.m. shift where we actually got to see the floats finished, fired up, pulled out of the wherehouse (sp), music cued up, waterfalls going and the characters who were on the float in place. Ok, we actually "got misty" when everything was in place. We worked with members of LAFF, Orange County, Inland Empire, and fans from Michigan, the Phillipines, and Mexico plus many many other FF's that came out to work on the floats. Miana was there from the beginning and I have the utmost respect for her as the trooper she is. She just jumped in wherever she was needed (and if we were exhauste I KNOW she must have been). Never ever been so cold in my life as that Sun morning. BUT OMG it was soooo worth it. Also, despite a minor car accident and the most miserable looking and sounding cold ever...Allison (Padme) and Mike (Anakin) came out and got in for that awsome moments with the float.

Miana managed to use the force and a few of us got to go over to the practice field after the floats were judged and watch the troops (Including our own TionneHawke!!!), band, Twiliks, Impies, etc in the full dress rehersal. Saw lots of friends in both RL and 501st that were part of the Whole Extravaganza including THE MAKER as well!!! Hearing the music start up, watching the procession...was one of the most incredibly emotional moments in my SW life. (We ALL got misty and the magic and "the Force" was just beyond description.) It is a moment that I will always treasure and be thankful for. Lots of running across the field to exchange hugs with Padawans, Troopers, RL's... seeing old friends and making new ones... Plus the surprise and humble feelings of soooo many "Thank You's" from both the face characters and the Troopers for "working so hard on our floats...and being a part of us."
    We got that again and again and again. It made us feel so very much a part of this whole thing.

Again THANK YOU MIANA for making that moment happen. We were all commenting after the parade yesterday that you gave us a gift that we can never hope to repay. [:D] [face_love]

(And yes, we did have our meeting afterwards, but that is another report) :D

Then, Monday morning back up again wayyyy before "OMG IT's Early Dawn" to watch the parade live with our friends (make that extended family) from both the Rebel Legion and the 501st. Lunch together afterwards, more laughter than I can remember doing in a long time. (Also the pure punchy exhaustion probably helped with that) and just an overall magic time. All the way home, Siri, Kai and I kept just saying how incredibly magical the entire time was.

Pics will be forthcoming.

Hugs to all and May The Force Continue To Be With Us!!

2. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Doing this as a separate post as I don't want it to get lost in the above...

Hawkie, I cannot begin to tell you how INCREDIBLY PROUD OF YOU I AM!!!![:D] The thrill of seeing you that practice day. Knowing that you not only got to see Uncle George with the rest of us, but he actually got teased by him~~~:D ;) And, more importantly, you let us live vicariously through you in fullfilling a dream for all of us.

You worked your TIE hiney off...completed your boot camp and completed the march! I know you couldn't hear us screaming for you from the stands...but oh we most certainly did!!!

So, the Jedi side of me is proud beyond words Padawan...

The Impy side of me stands and Salutes!!!

3. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Thank you, Master K. It meant so much to have your support. Having you run up to me after our practice was one of those shining moments. Of course, that was soon followed by heat exhaustion and a brief lie down in the shade of a bench with half my garrison guarding me and taking care of me.

Many didn't think I would make it after that practice day, but I was darned if I was going to give up. So I made it knowing somewhere in the stands was a Jedi Master who has taught me a lot about life and is constantly cheering me on.
    I chased after my float a few times, I fell behind, I walked with determination...and i finished. With 300 of my brothers and sisters in armor..I finished. Even those who dropped out of the formation are heroes in my book. I saluted each one as they stepped out and passed me. We only lost about 10 in total. Not bad.

More when I have time!

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    [face_blush]

[:D]

*glomp hugs Bridget*

5. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    They were selling Churros at the post parade float displays!

6. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    But were they imported from Disneyland???

7. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I just wanted to throw in my two cents and likewise tell you how amazed and proud I am of you. *HUG* It was wonderful to see you in the parade!

8. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Ok, I'm getting photos and video up now as we speak!

http://roseparade.goldengategarrison.com/gallery/Rose-Bowl-Parade-501st-and-Floats

This was an incredible experience. Master K has really said it all, so I will just second what she said and hopefully the photos and video will speak for themselves. All I'll add is how incredibly proud I am of everyone who worked so hard to make this a reality -- first and foremost to our fellow 501st and Rebel Legion folks who marched in the parade itself. You all made me proud, awe-inspired, and teary-eyed. Also kudos to the people who put in long hours on the floats - 501st, RL, FanForce, and all. Additionally, to the many people who may not fall into these two categories, but also provided support in other ways, congratulations as well.

This was a truly once in a lifetime experience and I'm just prouder than anything of all of you!

- Kai

9. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    We watching the show on tape at home, sadly the KTLA broadcast skimmed over the floats, didn't do effective close ups and the commentary was idiotic. Bob Eubanks is probably going to get in trouble for the off color jokes he told as well.

But the audience seemed to love it all, so no matter what press you got, congrats on hard work well done.

And if you missed getting a pin, check here to order one up:

http://www.milestoneproducts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

10. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Thanks for the pin link, Sid. I seriously had forgotten to order them. Now, that's done! :D

As for Eubanks, he has already emailed an apology to the 501st members who marched (or at least a number of them got one. However, a number of people (and not just those in SW fandom) were pretty upset by the remarks. Course, when I googled him, apparently he did a smillar same thing with very anti-semitic (sp..sorry just fried) remarks at a Rose Parade a few years ago and had to issue an appology to the Jewish Anti-Defamation League. Guy's a jerk!

But there are some awsome videos of the entire thing...Youtube has over a 1,000 of them. :)

11. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Didn't catch what he said about the troopers, but he did place Knott's Berry Farm in Anaheim (isn't that in Buena Park?) and also left out Hayden as one of the people who played Vader/Anakin. And there was a joke about people of "alternate lifestyles" that left us shocked.

Yep, I agree, a real jerk.

Next year I'm watching the other channel.

12. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    He said about the troopers,"These guys need to get a job." :mad:

13. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    Without adding kindling to the fire, Mr. Eubanks also said "These are the geeks who couldn't get a date in high school."

There was talk amongst the troops after the parade that at that point one of the drill instructors was this close to halting his squad and right-facing them towards the box. It was also suggested that he should have called a "buckets off" and had all the WOMEN in armor kiss the male trooper nearest them. HAH! (Ignoring the fact that at least half of the troopers are married.)

Makes me proud to be a trooper. Plus, Steve Sansweet and Mary Franklin have our backs. Heck, they were out marching with all of us. It's nice to know they are behind us 1000 percent.

14. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    From what I understand, Padawan, you have ALL of LFL at your backs!!!

(Let alone US!!);)

15. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Just stopping in to say hello and share my photos from the Rose Parade weekend. I was pleasantly surprised to run into the Santa Cruz Fan Force on Sunday morning. I had no idea you were planning to come down to LA - it was great!

Rose Parade Photos

16. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    There are some fantastic pictures in there from the dress rehearsal, Kay dee.
    Thank you for capturing a little of the magic we were all feeling that day.

17. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Yes, thanks so very much for those pics, Kathy. It's always great seeing you and glad you could make it down. (We did have a GREAT time, didn't we?) :D

18. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    No problem! I did my best to get a few photos of you waving and hanging out at the practice. Congratulations again!

19. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    You did catch me! I really like the one of me crouching on the ground next to Drew (Imp officer). The look on my face says more than words could.

20. lucialeria

lucialeria Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2005
    Alli's photos are up!

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h224/Lucialeria/Rose%20Parade%202007/

21. mrcottonsparrot

mrcottonsparrot Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 26, 2004
    *Edited out by RSA*

Look, particularly people who are in LA and/or have worked in the industry should know, that as far as "facts" (Anaheim, Hayden), Bob's pretty much reading from cards, from which often really crappy research has been done (you should see him flub horse breed names/colors/facts -- actually Stephanie was better for that, as Bob reins and really *does* know about horses...). And quite frankly, please...it's no worse than Shatner's "get a life" SNL sketch -- it's based in fact, or it wouldn't be funny. I think it's hilarious. Honestly, guys: The fact that you're all getting your grills up because he made a nasty comment about fandom...you're only proving his point, and furthering the stereotype!! "Let it go."

And I *am* of an alternative lifestyle, by the way. I wasn't insulted. I'll stick with commercial-free (at least in LA) KTLA, with all its warts. It's the reason why we don't drive the 10 minutes or so that it would take, for us to actually go see it.

MCP
    Caryn B.

22. mrcottonsparrot

Jul 26, 2004
    Oh yeah, and one other thing: I wasn't going to say anything, but I'm now glad we didn't stay up all night doing parade stuff...we went to the Arclight on Mon evening to see Pan's Labyrinth, and we saw George Lucas there,apparently attending a screening of "Letters from Iwo Jima." So easily this is now the best celebrity sighting we've had there (on a non-premiere day) -- I've met Wayne Knight and several of the 'hobbits' are regulars there... didn't hassle him, because a)it's uncool, and b) already met him at the FIDM gala. But it was sweeeet.

Caryn

23. mrcottonsparrot

Jul 26, 2004
    No. Nothing to do with the Rose Parade. Googling plainly and correctly reveals the incident as it really happened: In Michael Moore's "Roger & Me," the start of the documentary showed a clip of BE making an anti-Semitic joke at a GM annual meeting in Michigan, where he was a celebrity speaker. BE did issue an apology to the JADL, and in fact within days, the JADL *and* Eubanks were issuing a statement against and condemning *Michael Moore* for showing the anti-Semitism in the film.

If you found something he said that was anti-Semitic at the Rose Parade, please provide the link. Not that I'd be surprised, he's such a loose cannon at times.

Caryn B.

24. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Maybe it didn't phase you, but for those of us who busted our butts on the parade, to have some commentator - I don't care who he is or what his history is - turn around and make fun of us is NOT something I take lightly. You seem to be of the small minority that wasn't insulted. [face_shame_on_you]

25. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    I agree with Miana. MCP, You seem to be in the minority. Please be respectful of those that put in, literally, blood, sweat and tears to make the spectactular happen. Apparently the Rose Parade Committee felt it was enough of a concern that they immediately contacted the head of the 501st and appologized. We here at Santa Cruz FF support our brethern in their above and beyond efforts to pull this together.

While we may play hard here, please note that Santa Cruz FF is Ohana (Which means "Ohana is family. No one gets left behind or forgotten.") and we take that very seriously where our family is concerned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.