main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Roseanne-ish (The Conners)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Apr 28, 2017.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2018
  2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I'm sure it'll be as good as all the other recently rebooted 90s shows.

3. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    It'll at least be better than Fuller House.

4. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    In the end, wasn't the final season a "dream" and you found out her husband died of heart attack?

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The first 6 seasons or so were good and then it went off the rails culminating with the final season's awful and thematically inconsistent lottery storyline (and the retcon made it worse and more pointless). I liked that it portrayed people with money problems and there should be more like it on television.

That said, I hope the revival brings back my childhood crush on Darlene.

6. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    If it does well, maybe they'll bring back Married With Children. And if that does well, maybe they'll bring back Unhappily Ever After.

7. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003

IMO, Fuller House is pretty much exactly the same thing as Full House. Which is good for the spirit of the show, and good or bad for those who liked or disliked Full House.
    (Side note: I think many sitcoms went down hill as soon as the popular character became the focus of the show.)

Roseanne was better than Full House, and the spiritual successor to ALL IN THE FAMILY in my book. Just as Full House was the spiritual successor to Brady Bunch. Roseanne just had genuine performance and a realistic take on an American Family, and was good for most its run. IT peaked when they finally opened that Meat shot, but still coasted along the next few seasons. Seasons 8 and 9 were **** though.

So I'm down for 8 more episodes.

What pisses me off is that Full House and Roseanne get second chances, but the Coach reboot got passed on. bull****!!!

-Jedi Joe- and Juke Skywalker like this.
  8. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003

Not a dream. You find out that she has been writing a book of her life and family the entire time in the basement where Dan made her that little office back in Season 1 or 2 in the basement. She goes on to say that she switched some things around. Like switching her daughters boyfriends.

9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    So, which Becky?

10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Ideally, one for 4-episodes, the other for the remaining four.

11. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I think they should alternate Beckys w/o any explanation.

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Although there's much to malign about the last season, there is some decent emotional stuff with Dan's affair in California, Debbie Reynolds in a superb guest role as his mom, and Darlene & David's baby being born premature; it's not a complete **** show. :p

13. SmallTatooineSun

SmallTatooineSun Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 16, 2016
    I loved Roseanne! Super excited to hear about this. It's too bad that the actor who played Mark passed away. He was my dream bad-boy boyfriend back in the day.

14. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I remember as a kid back in 1997 or 1998 watching the opening credits to this show only for the sequence to end with a trucker lady laughing her face off.

[​IMG]

All I wanted to do was wait for Seinfeld to come on.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  15. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    All I remember as a kid was that preview when John Goodman says "I've met someone" and how everyone thought it was the most dramatic thing to ever happen.

With this reboot, I just hope they expand on the Toy Story theory that one of the characters is the mother of Andy. Joss Whedon being the link between both if anyone is unfamiliar.

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Premiere is tonight 8 PM EST. We're getting two episodes - Production #1001 and #1003. (#1002 airs next week). And both Becky's are part of the cast.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I hope this crashes and burns miserably and she takes her Trump-loving ass back to where it belongs -- out of sight and contemplating her failure on the Tree of Woe.

19. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Roseanne used to be great, then collapsed as soon as Tom Arnold stopped working on it - I believe he and Roseanne Barr got divorced.

If he still is not working on it, and it's just her writing it, I will give it a miss, thanks.

20. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    She used to refer to the writers by number back in the day and those writers would only laugh at their own jokes. Check out her interview with Kimmel on Youtube. He also calls her to the carpet on Trump and I think they have a good dialogue.

I'm not sure who is currently writing for the show, but nostalgia is very powerful. We'll see how it goes.

21. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    just read a comment Arnold put out critical of her taking the character in that direction.

22. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    The first two episodes weren't too bad. The writing was okay and I laughed here and there. For those concerned about the political nature, they don't even mention the names Hilary or Trump, but it's heavily implied. One character has one stance, the other has the opposite, they work past their differences to put family first. It was very minor and the writers didn't take it as big as I thought they could. It wasn't a debate more than it was a jab here and there to get a rise or a laugh. In both episodes, the character that got the most attention was Darlene's son Mark who identifies as a boy but likes wearing girl's clothing.

The thing I enjoyed the most about these first two episodes is that every time a cast member appeared, the live audience did NOT cheer. Fuller House is notorious for this and other than the garbage lazy writing, it's SUPER freakin' annoying that the audience cheers every...single...time, multiple times in an episode, when an old cast member appeared.

Uncle Joey [enters]: Hey Everyone.
    [audience 15 second scream]
    DJ: Where's Uncle Jessie?
    Uncle Jessie [enters]: Here I am.
    * 5 minutes later *
    DJ: I could really use some help.
    Uncle Joey [enters]: I can help.
    Uncle Jessie [enters]: Who needs help?
    Uncle Jessie: Have mercy.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Tony I dunno how to break this to you but a show starring TERF extraordinaire Roseanne Barr featuring a "boy who likes to wear women's clothing" is not going in an apolitical direction.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  24. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I don't see how a person chooses to dress implies a political association.

25. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I'll watch this out of nostalgia when I get to it and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Where the **** is the ALF reboot?? If we're going to do this, lets really do this.