main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tampa, FL Ross: LED Question

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by vampyregodz, Aug 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vampyregodz

vampyregodz Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2003
    Hey Ross

In your tutorial at the house on Saturday you mentioned different brightness ratings or classes on the LED's can you tell us what we should be looking for power wise to make something similar to your holo projector?

2. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
  3. LukeCeremonial22569

LukeCeremonial22569 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 23, 2002
    The LEDs I used are 5mm white x3 and a 5mm blue. The part number for the white LEDs is 276-320 and the blue is 276-311, using the same size battery the 12v size and the same holder "N" class size. You'll need the watch battery also cr-2032 R/S# 23-162 and the holder for it. I dont have the part # for the holder but its the same 1 you got for the fans. Use small gauge solid wire, not the kind that has the fine wires in it that you twist together. That wire sucks.

This is the wire I use - 278-1224 it gives you black, red and green in 75ft rolls in 1 package. Its 300volt rated, 22 gauge. The solider I use is 64-005E, .032 2.5oz 60/40 light-duty.

Radio shack does not carry the GOOD heat shrink for the wires, you can get at home depot in the electrical section, it comes it diffrent sizes. Get the small stuff you'll see it when you see it. I believe its the smallest they have for the gauge of wire. It works well and is easy to use. Just cut a small bit off it put it one wire before you solider them together. After you do that then just slide it over the area you solider and heat it up with a hair dryer or a lighter(is what I use) till it shrinks around the wire. Dont do it to much it will burn it.

The LEDs will have the volts on the card under the color, they should all be about 3.5volts. Add up the volts for all the LEDs and you'll know how much power you need to make them work.

I used 4 LEDs so I needed the 12v and the 3v watch batteries to make them work, it gave me 15 volts. You dont wanna go to far over the volts to make them work, they will blow out if you give them to much power. 1 or 2 volts over is good any more you might have a blow out and then you'll be stuck looking for it 1 LED at a time.

Make sure when you start solidering them together you do the same all the way around the line of lights, + to - to + to - and so forth just make sure you match the wires to the battery also in the same way and leave 1 + and 1 - to hook up to the switch so they work to make the connection to turn them on.

The way to tell the + and - on the LEDs is the + lead is longer then the - lead.

If your planning on making anything using LEDs just remember to add up the voltage of the LEDs your gonna use so you know how much power you need to supply them with. Drill your holes small first and work up to a bigger hole if you need to. Remember that LEDs come in diffrent sizes from 3mm up 10mm, I mostly use the 5mm and 3mm LEDs for my projects.

If you have any trouble let me know and I will help you out.

Have fun and dont bunr yourself or poke yourself with the wire or LEDs its not fun.

4. vampyregodz

Apr 30, 2003
    Well I have a HUGE LED project coming up so I will order some bulk from Ebay...My Han in Carbonite will be in next week followed by the 8 side pannels that will all need to be wired with LED's...it will be light enough that we can take it to events...so if your not busy one weekend in September and feel like having a wiring party let me know :) LOL! its gonna be like 100 plus Led's per side I believe So i will need to get with you on alternate power sources too!

I just replaced the batteries in my helmet (why we called thanks so much!)

5. Sereana_Nightstar

Sereana_Nightstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2002
    WoW!! that sounds like some project , but it will look really spectacular!!!

6. skyshark93

skyshark93 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2002
    Ross: Where can I find big yellow, orange or white LEDs? Ive been to 2 radio shacks and all they have is red.
    Thanks
    Later

7. vampyregodz

Apr 30, 2003
    hey Ross

the yahoo's at Radio Shack say they are no longer making the battery holder for the watch batteries do you have a part # since they likely do not know what they are talking about?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.