main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roster of NJO Jedi in Latest SW Insider * SbS Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Merkurian , Dec 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    The most recent issue of the SW Insider contains a roster of NJO-era Jedi Knights, both living & dead. Here's a couple of gripes that I have:

Mara Jade is considered to be a Jedi Master, but Tionne, the co-Headmaster of the Academy, is not!

Likewise, Tiranna Ki is considered a Knight, and not a Master.

The Barabel Jedi (I forget her name, but she was part of the Wild Knights squadron in SbS) is a Knight, not a Master, even though she trained several of her children as Jedi.

The drawing of Ganner didn't seem to match Stackpole's description. MAS decribed Ganner as having long dark hair swept back to accentuate his widow's peak, and a goatee, while the picture was of a stubbly-faced person with short-cropped hair. They DID get the scar though.

"Don't getta me wrongo," I thought it was a great article, but I just had to pick a few nits.

2. RogueJaina

RogueJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2001
    Why are my issues of the Insider always so much later than everyone else's? :(

3. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Ganner might have gotten a haircut. People do that sort of thing.

4. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    the Barabel wasn't within Luke's academy, so would join a Knight, IMO

5. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I agree with alot of your points, JM, most specifically the thing about Tionne and Kirana Ti not being Masters. To me, that makes about as much sense as Kenth Hamner being a Master, as well.

6. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, look at kyle, he isn't a master either.

Wallace infered that tionne isn't one in similer cicumstance when I talked to him. (teaching a student doesn't make one a jedi master.)

7. Groovy_Ssi-Ruuvi

Groovy_Ssi-Ruuvi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Good point, Valiento. Take the case in the end of "The Phantom Menace": Obi-Wan had just become a Jedi when he took on Anakin as an apprentice (and we all know how well that turned out).

8. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    I'm intrigued by what we might find out about any other Jedi to make future appearances (or not) in the NJO. Hopefully, Dan will get to do a follow-up to this piece!

Plus, I don't think we've seen all the Jedi Masters yet, (I hope). Nice job to both Dan's!!!

9. Kelly

Kelly Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 30, 2001
    I wasn't too pleased with quite a few of the drawings in this issue. I noticed the same thing about Ganner. It could have been anyone with a scar. Forgetting the hairstyle, if he has dark hair, I would've thought his hair would have been colored darker. Kyp's is, after all.

And then we have three year old Jysella Horn looking QUITE a bit older...

10. Lodi-Da

Lodi-Da Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2001
    Could someone please post a link to this issue, if there is one?

11. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Also, Anakin is dead

wk

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    "the Barabel wasn't within Luke's academy, so would join a Knight, IMO"

But the fact remains, that she did train several Jedi to the rank of Knight. That, IMO would make her a Jedi Master. That's also why I disagree with the idea that Mara Jade is a Jedi Master, but Tionne is not.

13. Disco_Dark_Jeedai

Disco_Dark_Jeedai Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    wk....."so certain now are we" about Anakin...LOL

14. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    Here is a link to a site that has the article and the pics. You'll have to cut and paste it.

http://www.kennyville.com/jedi/

I liked the article even though some of the pictures were off. How about the Solo kids. They didn't look good at all.

15. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    That, IMO would make her a Jedi Master

Ah, but unless you work for LFL or Del Rey, your opinion doesn't matter. Only your money :D

They decide what makes a Jedi a Knight or Master, not the fans.

wk

16. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    LOL, w_k. :D

17. jedigandy

jedigandy Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2001
    I have a couple questions about the article:

1) In the article, it says that the Wild Knights crew and the younger barabels are not considered part of the 100 jedi knights in the galaxy. But Luke knew about them the whole time and still issues orders to them for their help. So why would he not count them in his hundred jedi knights? That just struck me as odd.

2) Leia is not on the list. I know she has never formally trained, but then neither has Mara Jade. Leia was Luke's first student ever. She has always been shown using the force in small ways and I would think Luke would at least consider her a Knight. It looks like she'll be doing a lot more Jedi stuff in the next few books, so maybe her name will get posted on the next list, but it seemed weird to me for her not to be on there. She's very powerful, and only needs a little more training.

Just my thoughts.....

18. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    I'll toss in some more comments for what its worth:

1) I agree with the above comments that if LFL says a particular character is a Jedi Master, then that character is a Jedi Master. Apparently, Kenth Hamner is a Jedi Master. So it should be a non-issue.

Note, when reading EVR, Kenth is talking to Luke about Borsk Fey'lya's warrant for Luke's arrest. I thought it was unique that Kenth never used the "honorific" of "Master" when speaking to Luke. Does that mean anything? Not necessarily. I guess it might. But on the flip side, we still see Kyp Durron address Luke as Master. Oh well. I guess this observation doesn't help much!

Also note, we still have approximately 3 Jedi Students of Luke's initial dozen that have never been identified. So who's to say (other than LFL) whether Kenth Hamner is one of those twelve or not? We'll have to wait and see if LFL ever takes a position on it.

2) Reading SBS, I never got the impression that Luke had ever met Saba. My impression is that Luke has NEVER met Saba before. It's also clear that Saba has never attended the Jedi Praxeum on Yavin 4. Eelysa is a product of the Jedi Praxeum on Yavin 4 and Eelysa is Saba's Master, (but that also doesn't necessarily make Eelysa a Jedi Master). Dan's article seems to be addressing only the approximate 100 that HAVE attended the Jedi Academy on Yavin 4. Saba and her followers aren't exactly a part of that group, but Saba is significant enough that Dan included her anyway. I guess you can make an indirect argument that Saba is a product of the Academy even though she never attended it.

Note, just an observation, Wonetun - one of Saba's followers - appears to have attended the Jedi Praxeum at one point, but left before completing his training.

I probably haven't added anything that hasn't been discussed before on various threads, but here it is anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.